A plea to Stop Diluting Crafting with new Choices and allow boons based on levels.

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Lace, Aug 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lace

Lace Avatar

I know from the standup notes that Bjus had been working on crafting.
    I see new choices when a gem is socketed that you can get some no durability cost resistance.

THIS IS FAIL

We now have diluted the pool yet again with more random popups we may not want when crafting.

A good example of this is perhaps when at 98 in enchanting you get the option now to add durability effectiveness as a roll choice.

Yes its nice but if I was going for str, dex or int, you just diluted my chances on getting those for something I may or may not want.

We are not looking all the time for more choices we want CONTROL over the choices we can get. Quit diluting the choice pool by adding more. You make it harder to create gear with the stats folks want. You say oh the best gear is by crafters ..This is only if crafters craft till the point of slitting their wrists because of the randomness which you keep diluting ...how can you not see this.... how have you ignored us saying it for years!

Stop it .. think Janet Jackson .. CONTROL

Under a certain skill number, random is fine, you can get lucky and make good gear, but once you have spent thousands of hours making stuff we should have CONTROL.

In the words of Janet Jackson:

When I was 17 I did what people told me
    Did what my father said,
    and let my mother mold me
    But that was a long ago,
    I'm in Control - Never gonna stop
    Control - To get what I want
    Control - I like to have a lot
    Control - Now I'm all grown up

This is the story of a crafter .. let us grow up and have CONTROL

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  2. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

Or if you add more choices we should get two items per masterwork/enchant at high levels. So we can make even better gear.

3. Lace

Lace Avatar

Hey and to hedge bets where folks say new crafters can never compete in a market where they cannot make goods as good as reliably as someone who has played the game for thousands of hours and put in thousands of in game gold, you forget the market that is not high end ...I sell reasonably cheap gear far less than many scalpers in the game its not all about high end sales .. I cannot support this argument because of it, but you can feel free to correct me, but its unlikely we will not see eye to eye .. gear should be priced on what the gains are regardless of who made it..... You just have some that rip folks off.

Talimar likes this.
  4. Lace

Lace Avatar

Hmm I am not sure I can get behind this math personally. that could be OP. But haveing more than 3 choices per success roll is what is key to me based on your level.

Lord Lonn likes this.
  5. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I've always thought what is available should be based on the enchanting medium used. In other words, enchantment should have more reagents than gold.

Add a gem fragment if you want a chance at a magic school enchantment. Add metal or wood if you want a chance at weapon or armor enchantment. Only use pure gold if going for straight buffs to stats and pools. Eliminate the chance to get buffs you really dont want.

Put the onus on the crafter to choose what they can get. Increase the costs, fine tune the rewards, and make cross specialization goods something special. The shotgun enchantment method is very tiresome.

6. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Why go up when its easier to go down

7. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

Hmm, maybe they could change the number of choices based on skill level. Start with 1 and add another for every 20 points, so 6 choices at GM. That would make things a little more certain, though I always thought it was odd that there is a RNG involved. I was trying to craft a lamp but ooops, RNG, I made a shoe.

Witcheypoo and Alioth like this.
  8. Alioth

Alioth Avatar

+1 for this idea

9. Lace

Lace Avatar

That my friend is part of the CONTROL I am asking for. Not asking for the world just some CONTROL

Witcheypoo likes this.
  10. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

since this game is RMT based, why not have high level people be able to sell experience to others? There is already talk of trading exp back and forth from alt characters on the same account. Why not go one step further and be able to sell exp to other players. This would help them level faster and be able to do the end game faster. It would give meaning for grinding for the people that can play 18 hours a day.

11. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

No.

12. Lace

Lace Avatar

You are my rock star.

This is part of what I mean by CONTROL There has to be some pain for this gain and mat cost is acceptable but there should be a failure rate based on your level of skill , not the choice of the popup, and we all feel that already in making thousands of pieces for crap most which disappeared before they made that change where on failure the item was lost. That super helped not only new folks but us all, with at least something to sell ..BUT now, with the current math,yes the lower skilled folks can make comparable gear on luck, but those that stick with it burning millions in resources and thousands of hours in time SHOULD have more CONTROL on what they make and its sorry for your RNG luck and lets dilute it more.

Tila Tenderfoot and Witcheypoo like this.
  13. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Right... I've been on this for a while. They've needed to have a bunch of materials that could have been included in loot on a lot of the high to boss level creatures... no more gold in the game than really is at the moment, and greater variety and CONTROL ( : ) ) of crafting in general and MW/EN in specific!

Witcheypoo likes this.
  14. Lace

Lace Avatar

I want to be careful though and while high end boss mobs have components with a little more ooomph, my main concern selfishly is the fact that low end gear is so whimsical in the nature of the creation no matter the hours or skill level of the crafter.

I understand what you are saying and new components are great, but I want to address the disparity in the creation of an item and the MW choices and enchanting choices presented based on the crafters level....

I am not saying someone level 30 in leather masterwork could not pop a +30 durability MW. I am saying a level 100=120 leather mw crafter should have that as A CHOICE and not one of 3 only. They should be able to be in CONTROL and pick that over other things and have more choices and more power as well.

When this system was first explained years ago I am pretty sure that is what was said... instead we got a RNG POS where is it makes not much diff your skill level and they keep adding choices which ONLY DILUTES the choices that pop up..... I am still not understanding how they think this is good unless the goal is to make crafters not make good things.

IF that is the goal do not level past 97 so your choices aren't polluted as they do now.

15. Talimar

Talimar Avatar

I don't like the option of being able to increase the odds of getting int, dex or str but I wouldn't mind seeing an option that we could aim for a set of variables. The question is how it is built; as a passive or as an alternative craft option tier. (say a new craft table, even.)

As a passive tree, you'd need 3 options to choose from; but you would treat it like the specialization leveling. Where you would only be able to choose 1 of the 3 subsets. (item-type bonus, skill-set bonus, or stat bonus.) That way we could specialize but won't over-power a specific type per se.

The thing with the +30 durability is 3 fold.
    1. It allows 2-ish chances at proccing 2 other stats, for only 5 extra durability loss. Note: that if you do fail, your odds on your next attempt seems to increase slightly, with mastercraft.
    2. mastercraft/enchant syncing. With +30 durability, and around 110-120 mastercraft/enchant ability, you have a chance of accruing 7 or so bonuses while still keeping 50-60 durability on the item of choice.
    3. Length of time before the item is ruined due to usage loss. The duraiblity loss is scaler non-linear. So 2 items with the same stats will show significant usage time if one is 80 durability vs. one that is 65 durability. Even with quick repairs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.