I'm feeling a bit in a mid-range rut

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nelzie, Aug 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

THIS IS ABOUT PvE. I don't CARE at all about PvP, I'm not asking about PvP, I want THINGS to do PvE wise in this middling range in addition to the grind.

I finally finished putting together the prophecy, read it, acquired my shroud.

My avatar is AL 78 and has many useful to my build skills in the 70's and 80's with the base Blade skill being 100.

I'm growing a bit... tired of grinding. I mean, it's nice being able to more easily tear through piles of Hardened Elves in the Crag Foothills and ghosts being a minor nuisance and many other things being pretty basic and easy...

But, I feel woefully out of place just visiting and tagging along in the Hidden Veil, as much damage as I do, I won't be able to compete and certainly not last if I ever acquire aggro.

What I'd like to see are more... low, mid, mid-high and then the higher level dungeons and bosses. Are there named baddies in the AL 50 range worth the time? What about in the AL 70 or AL 80 range? It feels like you work your way through much of the Episode 1 story, do a pile of side quests, get to point where if you have a crew around AL 70's you might be able to take down Xavara, but that's the only really named boss I know in that area/range and there's not much of a scene built around her.

Am or have I been missing things or is the vast, extremely grindy middle just being kind of ignored? I've been feeling this more or less starting around the late AL50's to be honest.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  2. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I grinded wyrmsands mages al 71 to al 92.
    Only place i could get 300k exp solo with good loot.

I juuust stopped when i could hit up mage room solo but was risky n odd bs death didnt make it worth it.

Exact same rut i was in for literal hundreds of hours. Exceptions being odd ball time i went out with a guildy.

3. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I think you just end up shooting yourself in the foot if you dont focus on building around a couple of full trees first.

Spreading out over too many skills too early makes you weaker early on.

Dont fight stuff based on your adventure level, fight stuff based on the level of the deck youre using. The level of your skills will make you do better.

Adventure level is just a pac-man score

Witcheypoo, Dhanas, Brewton and 2 others like this.
  4. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I am focusing strong on a couple of full trees. Currently, it's Light Armor, Blades and Fire. (Specialized in Blades and Fire.)

But... early on I really built up Life, Earth and dabbled in other magic schools. I was thinking of looking at being a healer in groups at one point, so I have the whole tree opened and most of those skills are in the 50's to 60's. Except for Resurrect, that's still quite low.

Cordelayne likes this.
  5. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

Yeah, adventure level is only indicative of your total combined experience, which, doesn't translate into anything, other than how many base health you have.

The skills you employ, in situ, can either work, work together, or, ideally, work as a solid deck.

Witcheypoo, Dhanas and Cordelayne like this.
  6. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

It may be helpful to decide which skills are your most favorite, then decide a play style and stick to it. My favorite skills are Ranged Combat, Air Shield, and Berserker Stance. So I built a character around them.

Cordelayne likes this.
  7. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

I can't exactly defeat Antrax Artek with my build, but on a good day I can last about 3 minutes before he beats me.

Dhanas, Brewton and Cordelayne like this.
  8. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

@Nelzie I am somewhat in the same boat and I'm AL 84. I find that the ONLY reason I can "hang with the cool kids" is because I have all my blade skills to a minimum of 80 (GM Blades and Thrust) and wear really uber plate armor. This allows me to do moderate damage while not dying every five seconds, especially in places like the Lost Vale or Upper Tears. Having said that though I know folks like @Sara Dreygon and @Draugur2 are always helpful in answering these types of questions for me! :)

9. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I really do not care about, nor have I asked anything about PvP.

I'm looking for PvE things; stories, mini-quests, repeatable quests, boss types and similar. That fit in that vast rift between average AL50 and AL80 characters.

Cordelayne likes this.
  10. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

Really, your sense of being in a sort of "doldrums" with regards to grinding is an appropriate representation of the diminishing reward system in place.

You might need to find something that reengages you. Or you might need a little time away. It's up to you and your interests.

11. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I already hit WELL above my "level" with the skills that I have and a careful application of Poison to my blades. I just have issues with hitting above my level with Undead, but I've been working on that with Fire Magic, primarily.

discipleofweb and Cordelayne like this.
  12. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

... that's what this thread is about. Where are the middling range named boss mobs? Are there a bunch of cool dungeons with neat things to do and see that are appropriate in this middling range to break the monotony of the grind with?

13. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

Before they added Aether monsters, I would have said either Deep Ravens Wood or Grannus Colossus would be good spots for you, but both are a tad challenging solo.

Nelzie likes this.
  14. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

This is a very fair and accurate statement. I couldn't agree more with this as it also reflects on myself as well as a non-PvP, PvE player type. :)

15. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

As far as particular bosses, the only one that comes to mind is regular trolls.

The upside to practicing fighting trolls, is that you'll become able to take down TorcDawl.

Witcheypoo and Nelzie like this.
  16. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Have you run through the Kingsport Sewers @Nelzie? There is a boss lich there, but at your level it might be too easy. Still though, it is fun content with some interesting lore within it. :D

17. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

You might find that being dismissive of PvP will not work to your advantage, if you're intent on bringing negativity into a thread where you yourself ask for guidance.

That's all I'm going to say about that. Good luck crowd-sourcing solutions to your problems when you don't care about the responses.

18. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Thank you. This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Places to check out, enemies to seek out.

I would like to see more stuff that "hides" the grind a little bit. Repeatable things, maybe with drops of parts of finished product to decorate with. Go kill Ghili The Undying Lich Fighter, sometimes he drops a massive one handed sword, only good for display, sometimes his skull is dropped, sometimes it's a wisp of fabric. Things to make decorations with or low level crafting pieces.

Cordelayne likes this.
  19. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

Hi Nelzie,

I know how you feel! I'm just past where you're at. What I like to do is set milestone goals for myself. My first milestone was being able to solo deep ravenswood. Then I moved onto being able to take out the troll and solo the ruined keep (this was a year ago mind you). I then set a goal to defeat the two mountain trolls in the snowy mountain scene overland encounter inbetween the mountains that lead to what I like to call, Ardoris side of the map. Finally, my most recent goal was soloing the barracks room in the rise.

There are quite a lot of quests, and you can make personal quests to achieve emotes. Form groups for things like the Phoenix, dragons (the dragon in the rise is lower level), visit new scenes, etc.
    Make goals for skills inbetween those adventures.

I'd also like to extend an invitation to our Saturday evening hunts. We go to all kinds of places. They are every Saturday at 10:30pm est. We meet at the docks in our town Caelestis Canton which is nested in PaxLair. You can also send me a pm if you're interested. Anyone can come with us as they please, this is not a guild recruitment tactic. We just ask that everyone is respectful towards each other. This month we are focusing on aether creatures.

20. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

You are completely missing the point of what I am asking here.

I'm asking for things to do, stuff to go kill, experiences to be had that will break up the monotony of the grind.... and... you completely dismiss what I am asking about to push PvP and skill information...

Go back and reread my first post.

I'm not at all asking about skills. I have that under control.

I need places to go, mobs that are different and cool to go kill. That's it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.