Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

PLEASE STOP THESE ANNOYINGLY RUDE GUARDS, THE SLOW EFFECT & NPC'S WHO JUST WANNA SAY HI...

Discussion in 'Release 56 Feedback' started by Khalest, Aug 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khalest

Khalest Avatar

***WARNING - RANT AHEAD - DO NOT READ IF OFFENDED EASILY***

Please, i beg of you, stop these growling, stalking, rude guards that do nothing for the game except seriously annoy the players & actually drive some away from playing the game. I say that because a friend i told about the game loved it when he first started, but after being followed & growled at by these guards, he got tired of them & doesnt play anymore. I had posted about the guards before, as a question wondering why they were like that, an now that im actually sick & tired of them & their attitudes, i realise i didnt see anyone from the game try to explain their behavior.

Another subject ive posted about is the slow effect we players endure everytime we walk by "ANYTHING LIVE" Seriously, a cat or a chick, a guard or an NPC, its all the same, we are slowed down to less than a slow walk & stay that way till we pass the one causing it or till we jump away from them. Theres just no good reason or for that matter, any reason at all ive heard for this effect.

Lastly (for now :p), the NPC's when we enter an area, or some whenever they catch sight of us, start their sparkly blue "Avatar come here, i have a quest for you" hand waving. Some will even follow you trying to get your attention. An "IF" they had a quest to give us, id be ok with it. But usually they dont...You walk over to them & start a conversation & then realise they have nothing & proceed to say, "Well hello Avatar, how is your day going"

Also the guards sometimes will grab you away from doing something or anything then say "Mind your self...We'll have no trouble here tonight"

Seriously can anyone "Employed by the company, PLEASE tell me why we need the slowing effect & why the guards have to be such dicks? If not or even if someone can, please...one more time "PLEASE FOR GODS SAKE STOP ALL THAT I MENTIONED ABOVE, ITS AT THE LEAST DRIVING SOME AWAY FROM THE GAME"

Thank you as always for the awesome game & for letting players like me to rant & rave about things. This is all from the Soap Box for now xD

2. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

I was very annoyed by this, too.

Well, in the end they taught me how to move like Jagger and run fast while avoid contact with them.

Hope it'll be solved in some way.

:)

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I don't understand why the guards are compelled to chase me down and climb up my butt to salute me.

4. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

The guards were trained to be so annoying by the same people who trained shopkeepers to walk away from you while you are trying to buy things from them. It appears to be a 'cultural', thing, the native inhabitants of Novia mostly seem to be outright rude, have no concept of personal space, and have the attention span of a goldfish. Plus at least in my home town of Port Titan, the guards are suicidal, every night you will see a few set themselves on alight by standing in burning fires, then walk through a wall to die in the street....

In more serious mode though, the AI is really in need of a huge amount of work. These silly things have been commented on for at least couple of years, they simply scream 'hopelessly incomplete game' to any new player who runs across them. Longer term backers have become inured to them, even though at times they annoy us and break any sense of immersion in the game, but for new player they must look incredibly shoddy :(

5. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Avatar

I like how immersive Grand Theft Auto is. When you bump into someone they curse at you or fall over or something. I know it’s probably quite a lot of extra work. The way it is with the slowing down just doesn’t feel right. Let me be able to knock people over instead. And if My avatar doenst apologize to the NPC or if it happens too frequently hit me with a karma loss.

6. Floors

Floors Avatar

The slow effect needs to go it's awful. It's terrible game design, it just frustrates players.

The guards need to be 2000 HP monsters that gang up on you if you cause trouble in towns, just like how it was in the old ultimas.

7. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I thought I could get used to it but, unfortunately, after two years of persistence, I didn't get used to it... I tried ignoring it but it's really annoying... @Lord British @DarkStarr

8. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

it is annoying to get slowed down or yelled at when there is at least a body width distance between you and the npc. but, npcs will have no issue walking right through each other.

9. Vero

Vero Avatar

People let's not forget we are guests in their world. If they want to block us or call us names so be it!

/sarcasm

No hate it aswel!

10. Brewton

Brewton Avatar

I don't like the slowing down as well, but I don't think I would rage quit because of it either.
    Seems a like a poor excuse to quit the game in my opinion there is so much more this game offers. It's just an NPC.

11. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

Your buddy was just trying to let you down gently instead of saying it's not the game for him.
    We are Avatars, of course, they would go out of the way to solute us they are grateful.

Read the book or listen to it.

12. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I live in a Desolis nested pot and I think its quaint that when zone into town the guard salutes me. I'm okay with NPCs responding to my presence. That's cool.

What is not cool, is if I talk to an npc, they then follow me around the scene.

When I was "fixing" my truth virtue and telling everyone my name, I was like the pied piper of refugees and travellers with 10 of them following me in a big crowd. That was not quaint - it was creepy, I felt like I was being followed by an angry mob.

Depending on where you are, you end up spending a lot of time running around town to buy/sell from NPCs as you go about your business. NPCs are often strewn in the player's path and walking anywhere near them slows you to a crawl until you can push past. This is not adding to the game - this is annoying. They also like to slam doors in your face - equally annoying. Almost as annoying as the NPC schedules which are meant to add immersion but honestly, are doing the opposite. It is not adding immersion to the game if I have to tab out for 15 minutes and do something else because the NPC I need is asleep. If anything, its reducing my immersion by 100% as I'm not even looking at the game at that point.

I don't think its a rage-quit worthy issue, but man it sure is annoying. Nice little features like npc collision and npc-stalking-player and such meant to add a bit of charm are just a nuisance. NPC schedules are the bane of my existence. At least the vendors seem to have stopped making "that noise" all day while I'm at the crafting pavilion they are stood next to...that was just downright unsettling lol.

13. Thadeus Crook

Thadeus Crook Avatar

I really like guards!

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Jaesun like this.
  14. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Try using the bank in Spite.. The merchants from upstairs come running down, opening the bank door, turning back and up the stairs, then down again over and over. This starts when you are a few meters in front of the bank and continues while you do your business. I realize that this behavior was dealt with in the past and this is just a bank that wasn't fixed. That said, it was up to me to get over it. With the reduced headcount at Port things like this are not going to get fixed. I just have to endure without ranting and bringing up the subject over and over. As long as other areas of the game keep my interest I will endure. I would, however appreciate an extended list of things that need fixing like the one at the end of the release instructions that addresses at least a realization and intent to correct these situations.

By Tor and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  15. CatherineRose

CatherineRose Avatar

Since many, many bugs have not been fixed in several years how can they be fixed with so few employees now?

I love the game and just chaulk it up as unable to be fixed.

Aldo and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  16. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

ya, npc slow down sucks, especially with all the animals in town

Aldo and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  17. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

Part 1

PvP Collision. That is why we have the slowing effect.

Part 2

Novians Do NOT Like OUTLANDERS! You Are An Outlander.

Have a Novian Day! :)

Laz

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I understand now. It's just more of that avatar hate. There are even some Novians that wear pointy hats and try to kill us! :eek:

19. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

There are a few NPCs that are obsessed with closing doors... doors that are already set to auto-close! The two in particular that I know of are "Lightning Joe" the weapon vendor in Central Brittany (when I come in the back door, he's obsessed with shutting it), and the deco/housing vendors in the Aerie bank. Those two get up and go downstairs to close the door, but the door closes long before they reach it and they don't turn around until they get all the way to the door. Of course the reason the door opened in the first place was because I came in to buy something from them.

Quenton, Jaesun and Aldo like this.
  20. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

How about the backwards logic of this?

The npc civilians and shopkeepers who DON’T want you near them... slow you down.

The guards are about the only ones who make sense. They don’t like you AND it’s theut job to be up your ass, so they slow you down.

The npxs of the world that not only WANT to slow you down, but KILL YOU... you can run right through as if they aren’t actively trying to pincushion/play stabby stabby / barbecue you.

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.