Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Your thoughts and concerns for Release 2

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by strife, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I think player housing will look more interesting once actual players are using the spots. You'll see cool decorations, vendors, it will actually be something you'll look forward to seeing what people have in the next town.. (Hoping that is the case anyway).

Crafting Agreed, I think once a recipe is in your recipe book (You've made it once) You should be able to click on it and have ingredients either brought over to the table for crafting or just instant make it.

Conversation Agreed, Really fun talking to people. Once they polish it up by launch I think it will work well.

Time Lord and LadyM like this.
  2. LadyM

LadyM Avatar

Here's my impressions so far of R2

Pros:
    • I like the crafting animation and how everything looks, from the crafting tables, resources to the player made armor. Everything already has a distinct SotA feel to it, which is a wonderful thing.
    • I managed to tailor myself a suit of Epic Cloth Armor, and my character looks pretty smashing if I may say so myself. I was pleased to see that even the female head piece animation shows up this time.
    • I like the sound effects (but they need to be timed with the crafting action)
    • I love the ability to jump! (just wish you would jump when you press the button, not on release)
    Cons:
    • Starting crafting for the first time was pretty confusing. The lack of any information lead to tedious trial and error scenarios for my poor character. Finally, I looked stuff up online and found out exactly how many of each resource I needed to get "the green light" to shine on the crafting table. There has to be information resources available IN game for players who seek it, for example; Ask NPC, Crafting Books, Help messages. I do not like to leave SotA and look stuff up elsewhere.
    • Some crafting items are too tiny in my opinion. After making a spool of thread for the first time, I didn't even notice the tiny little spool appearing on the loom. By chance, I noticed it and could continue. Maybe if it was glowing or something, to catch your attention. The smaller tools were also hard to pick up and move around because of their tiny size.
    • There is way to much clicking required in the crafting scenario. A constant clicking and dragging and splitting of stacks is very tedious. I wish there was a way we didn't have to click so much to create items.
    • Movement: Having to use the mouse constantly and pressing down both mouse buttons to move the camera in your direction is very tiresome for my hand. Let us have a choice to use the A + D button to turn WITH camera turning also so we can get a break. The whole time I am playing I use the mouse 99% of the time, not the keyboard.
    Overall, R2 is a step in the right direction, and I am excited to see the progress moving forward :)

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

It's intended to be a trial and error type of system, there will be recipes you can find or purchase in game as well, but they also want people to experiment to find new variations on recipes, so that will be somewhat changed. However, yes some people will always have to read wikis. I was able to make somethings by just guessing, others I also had to look up after getting frustrated. However, we are crafting with quite a few ingredients and doing nothing but crafting so burnout might be faster than in game when we are making a couple things then gathering again.

They are looking into options for this, One suggestion is making items glow or highlight them after crafting, the other is put a bucket at the bottom of each table. I believe they said they'll be doing something in the next patch. (could be wrong)

They are also aware that it gets too tedious, they are looking at solutions. suggestions would be great, keep in mind they have systems in place such as trial/error crafting so you can't just load all your stuff on the table and hit craft, we do need to keep exact #s in atleast to some extent.

Mouse/camera is still work in progress and changes will happen, however, I've played other games with similar controls so I have had no issue with easily working with it. btw, you should only need to hold down right mouse button to control the camera, not the left.

Time Lord and LadyM like this.
  4. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

I think putting crafting recipes in in-game books and NPC conversations will be a HUGE addition to the game. That will still allow for the discovery factor yet give direction to players inside the game.

5. darks

darks Avatar

All I’m going to say is that many of you here seem to have pretty low standards when it comes to games. I saw nothing in this build that has changed my mind about how bad this game is.

You want to look at what an Alpha is supposed to look like and play. Go and watch this.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

That game has 20 or even 100x their budget. It will never be that. They have to be interesting in other ways.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. darks

darks Avatar

That is true, but coming from RG, I would expect better of him and his developers.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Margard

Margard Avatar

LOL ... Assassins creed and Price of Persia in Middle earth setting (Stealth Game) ... and what an insult to Middle Earth lore (wraith skill = Batman Arkham City and Kingdom of Amular)

Graphics aren't everything

9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Feel"

I want to walk. I feel like the most incredible idiot on the street bumping around everything. The NPCs are dignified and walking perfectly and I'm running and jumping around like a 5 year old kid.

"Walking would be a good thing to have"
    "Jumping did help in overcoming obstacles, or maybe a better word would be everything".. everything but maneuverability...

~TL~

10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Yeah enmar has some interesting stuff to talk about. I had a conversation that lead to him mentioning ectoplasmic residue, or was that me? Either way the chick in Firelotus's tavern, Trushot I think her last name was, well either way she's too proper for some of my language, but she mentioned something about bears and giant spiders. I'm getting scared because this avatar of mine is me from this world and I wouldn't mess with a bear much less a spider larger than a horse!!!

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

seriously though how fast would a spider larger than a horse move. I tried killing a little spider in my house and it moved too darn fast. If it was larger than a horse we're talkin some serious godlike reflexes and speed. Them spiders would have races with The Flash.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Margard

Margard Avatar

LOL ... the spider by a leg :)

However if it was a daddy long leg - they move at a slow rate ... but any wood spider .. those suckers are fast

Time Lord likes this.
  13. glambourine

glambourine Avatar

I'm pretty happy and it super has that early, kinda staid RG feeling. The Mordor game looks pretty, but also looks like something I'd hate--just like everything ramped up to this crazy grizzled Hollywood hypermasculine emotional intensity, all hulking rangers stalking through snowdrifts with the weight of the world on their shoulders. I'm immediately kinda repelled by it and wouldn't be excited to play it. Give me Anton and his smarmy smuggling house, the henpecked Mayor Pete. Already, warts and all, SotA's sucking me in just as U4/U5/U7 are still able to do, despite none of those having what you'd call good graphics or high production values today. (Maybe U7 is still pretty charming.) The feeling of the towns is neat--they feel like actual places one might live in; they will be that. It's hard to make stuff that isn't 100 percent ACTION COMBAT WOW WOW WOW compelling and they're doing a good job, at least in my view?

It's maybe just that I super don't care about the animation/graphics being top-notch if I get drawn into the world, but I really like that the emphasis is being placed on finnicky stuff like a conversation system--which is just BY DEFINITION never going to be satisfying, unless you can straight up pass the Turing Test, which is outside the scope of a game like this!--and on figuring out how the social dynamics of a housing rush are going to work, rather than spend a lot of money we've given them on cool mist coming off of a castle.

I totally get that this is a difference of value--I just really don't think they're doing a bad job/failing! I've tried making RPGs before, and the amount of work Portalarium obviously put in between R1 and R2--in what, like a month, over a holiday--is really pretty intense. I mean they had to build a jump mechanic and revise the entire world to make sure the jump mechanic didn't break it, in like a month. That is a good use of a month!

Oliver Sudden and Time Lord like this.
  14. Floors

Floors Avatar

If you want SoTA to be a game like that, you should just quit now.

Also that game looks like a single player game, not a game with multiplayer components.

It looks, to be honest, to be a "Assasin's Creed in Mordor" quick cash grab.

Personally I'm less concerned with SoTA's graphics that I am with where the gameplay currently stands.

15. Rixel

Rixel Avatar

Hmmmm......and wikipedia states that it is using Lithtech. An engine that was first released 9 years ago.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

It's not our standards that are at issue here; it's our expectations. We expect a deep, immersive game with great roleplaying potential, strong NPCs, amazing stories (both big and small), and a world so deep, we feel like we're living in it. I believer RG will deliver that. What most of us do not expect is high budget eye-candy like what you showed us.

By Tor, Time Lord, NRaas and 3 others like this.
  17. Ser Alain

Ser Alain Avatar

I expect a great role playing game with much depth.
    I expect a solid and deep story on the single player story side.
    I expect a highly interactive world with both content and resources.
    I expect great continuity and immersion,
    I expect a great sandbox post single player story.

I don't expect top of the line graphics.
    I don't expect digitized speech.
    I do not expect flawless AI conversation.

For the funds raised, and the number of people working on this game, the progress so far is remarkable and once the core elements are nailed down, polish will only improve this.

18. Floors

Floors Avatar

To be fair, it's not like SoTa isn't deserving of some criticism.

Concern about Graphics, however is misplaced.

If the game is popular, people will make graphics upgrade packs and custom work, much like what happened with Bethesda's hugely popular games.

Those games also had serious issues, even after they were launched. But because bethesda was open to the community about adding 3rd party improvements,

those games because quite fun. Mainly because of the 3rd party content ! I mean Oblivion had a greyscale map at first lol ! I spent most of my time installing custom mods to it

instead of actually playing it anyway... there's a whole aspect of gaming that is often missed around this - people love to tinker. ("no pun intended")

I think SoTA team is already open to this... we just need the game to be out and a community, however small, that fanatically plays it. Then we can see improvements come.

Considering the size of the SoTa team and their publicly known resources tho, we should cut them some slack.

I'm already pretty happy with where the game is going, once the animations and character feel are improved and/or opened up for 3rd party modifications and there's real people online,

we're going to have some fun.

Time Lord and docdoom77 like this.
  19. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Adding on to my earlier post.

Music

I ended up turning the music volume all the way down rather quickly in Release 1 once I had entered the game as the "placeholder" music got repetitive and a bit too... upbeat? overbearing? I don't know... but something along those lines, it just seemed "out of place".

During R1, a more subtle tune started to play in my head which I later remembered as one of the main town themes from Final Fantasy 6 (Kids run through the City) which due to some further digging, found an AMAZING even more fitting OCRemix version titled Idle City Street.

Having heard during the Hangout that the music had been changed, I turned up the volume tonight (Friday) and have been very pleased with the music selections added. The additional pieces are very well arranged and work very well in the game. They made for a nice, relaxing soundtrack while I tried out some crafting. Kudos to the creators!

I even happened to catch a few Homages in the tunes themselves which makes it feel even more like it should.

Crafting

While there ARE a few "starter" recipes in the Instructions, the guessing game of the process makes crafting a bit difficult. I have in a couple of Crafting Feedback threads added my thoughts on how to improve this ingame while maintaining a sense of discovery (as well as maintaining the Trial and Error process), mainly focusing on the concept of "salting" the recipes in the world, but NOT using the MMORPG system of having the recipes being usable items.

-------

More coming with further playtime (also plannning onan edit and full post at the end of R2.

Time Lord and Kuno Brauer like this.
  20. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

OK, I am gonna jump into this trap as I can not resist this question.
    You might want to take into account a few things:

As you, lets say, make a spiders leg 50 times as long, the weight of the leg and the inertia associated with its mass will be much more than just 50 times a regular spider's leg weight, simple as scaling everything up the volume scales to the third power...
    Also, you may want to consider for creatures with exoskeletons,how often they would have to go through molding (shedding their old exoskeleton and growing a bigger one) to arrive at that size. Seems someone could have killed that spider while it was much smaller ...

Also, if SotA spiders have the same way of getting oxygen from their environment, they could not actually grow to this size unless the SotA atmosphere was much more oxygen rich. Alternatively SotA spiders might simply have a different physiology.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.