Need a little help...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dread1313, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dread1313

Dread1313 Avatar

I love this game so far. I want to keep loving this game. I started in blood river, and went to Aerie... But now I am lost. All I have been doing is basically grinding XP and leveling skills up. I started out as a magic user, but after watching a few people and seeing a few posts of excelling at Dual Sword I switch to that and been having a blast.

I played X-Bow a while and loved it but it got boring for me. Being able to dot the hell out of multiple mobs with fire and bleeding and watching them spew out numbers constantly is very satisfying (i guess I am sadistic!). What I need to know is, where do I go from here? I know about "going to tiers that pretty much match my level and grinding" but is that all there is? Right now, I have gotten down to 1500xp in my adv. pool, I need a good place to go and grind some more XP.

I just bought some player made armor and I am a little bit more tanky. I need some better swords though. I would LOVE to increase my own swords (they are +2 made by me, copper long sword and iron longsword). What I am lost on is basically 3 things: Where do I go from here (Aerie) for my main quest?, How do I increase my swords power, ie. +3...+4...+5...etc?, And lastly - where is a good place at my level to grind and build my XP pool back up?

I really apologize if this has been posted somewhere and if these questions have been asked, but I have searched (not by looking at pages and pages of forum posts!!!) using google and youtube but there arent really any "player guides" that are dead on to the point. I have watched many videos, but most of the stuff thats covered are things I already know or not even interested in. If someone here could help a new guy out that would be most appreciate!!! Thanks in advance! :)

Edit: Great! Now I am "stuck" in world geometry. I am in the aerie siege, and I fell while running through here to get OUT of Aerie between these two rocks where this root is and I literally cannot move. There is no /Stuck or /Unstuck command as they are not working. Any ideas????

[​IMG]

Edit...Edit: Disregard above problem about getting stuck, I got out. Alt tabbed to post this and when I got back in I was able to move.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    that_shawn_guy and moxiepilot like this.
  2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

What AL number are you, and do you have the Shroud?

3. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Welcome aboard brother; I will be brief as I am not an expert by any means. You can be a mage and a sword man simultaneously if you wish. I am dual wield swords yet dabble in all utility spells from most magic schools. I would not recommend getting too involved in crafting right away. I make plenty of gold gathering stuff that crafters use while killing things.

Your xp bar will fill up faster if you only have 4 things raised at a time as I did and work blades first along with heavy armor skills to 40. Raise other skills after that to 40 then to 60 etc. Work in areas where you fight green color mobs so you kill and xp faster then sell the stuff in town at the blacksmith.

Others will be more into the details but a good guild would also help a lot at this point. Good luck in your travels. R/Boris/El Pirata

Solazur and Dread1313 like this.
  4. Dread1313

Dread1313 Avatar

AL 37, im a newbie and not even sure how to get the shroud.

5. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I dont know if you into questing, but there are some decent items and gear you can get from some quests, as well, there is some deco stuff you can deco with or sell. If you do it while its 2x exp, the quest exp is doubled as well. I am not posting this as a shameless plug, just to give you an idea of what im talking about. Fitsowens lute that you get from a quest ( along with a crossbow and armor) is really good, 30% healing modifier while the buff is active.

6. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I have videos for many many things, many of these quests I have videos for can be done by lower levels. A suggestions if I may, the outskirts levels area good help in the start for quest exp, and you get a banner and sometimes a deco item or a few.

7. Dread1313

Dread1313 Avatar

This is what I am doing, On my left bar i have swords skills (trip is awesome lol) and I am working on Sub as well. Dual swords is pretty awesome :D

Aye, I am just wanting to keep it brushed up, and wanted to make sure if my +2 swords were being undergeared and needed to increase their power somehow.

I disabled some "passives and its a lot better now. Stuff in the background was stealing XP whenever I would attack or get hit, now I have almost 5k pooled XP.

Thank you for the warm welcome brother, its good to be here. Ive heard lots of good stuff about the community being awesome here :)

8. Dread1313

Dread1313 Avatar

Thanks for the video Mac, will definitely check it out :D

9. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

there are a lot of cool adventure scenes out there that will lose some of the fun if you out level them by to much. so I would suggest to take the time to explore a few random scenes a week and not to worry about xp during the times you do it.

taking your time and having fun will make the game last much longer.

Dread1313 likes this.
  10. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Pretty much every release offers some new side quests or polish on main quests, you can check out those release notes and search for side quests and itll tell you where they start if you want to knock those out for things to do.
    Example: http://sotawiki.net/sota/Release_56
    Just change the release number in the link to go as far back as you'd like.
    Also, Rinald's thread shows you a bunch of stuff in various zones you can do as well:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ons-to-puzzles-treasure-hunts-spoilers.61625/

Aldo and Dread1313 like this.
  11. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

to improve your existing gear, you can either masterwork it or enchant it. some of the options available overlap those two, but some are skill-specific. to masterwork or enchant, you need to have BOTH the recipe AND the skill (enchantment, carpentry mw, smithing mw, tailoring mw). recipes are on alchemists and smithing, carpentry, and tailoring recipe sellers. skills are on crafting trainers. you may need to go to the master crafting trainer in desolis.

once you have both the recipe and the skill, you put the item and 5 ingots (gold for enchant, silver for mw) on the appropriate table and hit craft. if you succeed, you'll get a list of three attributes to add to your piece, each costing some durability. if you fail, it'll just take the durability, until it gets down to 30 max durability at which point you can't enchant/mw any more.

list of options is here.

because this is such an expensive skill to use, taking five ingots every time, it is wise to save up a large crafting xp pool first, as each usage applies a percent of your pool to your skills, and so a larger pool means fewer ingots needed to reach a particular skill level. a gm apprenticeship will also be useful: if you're in a party with someone who has a skill gmed, more xp will be pulled from your pool into the skill with each use.

(this is true of all skills, including adventuring skills, although since those don't cost ingots it's less vital.)

Dread1313 and Mac2 like this.
  12. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Do you have all three banners? If not, GO TALK TO ARABELLA...

Dread1313 likes this.
  13. Dread1313

Dread1313 Avatar

Banners? What banners? I dont even know who Arabella is. Ill google her. Thanks for the heads up! :)

Edit: Found this guide here and watching it now.

I went to Vertas a while back but unless I missed something I didnt get any follow up quests. I looked in my quest log and cant find anything past where it says I woke up at blood river around a bunch of dead bodies... etc. I am going to retrace my steps and see if I missed something.

14. Dread1313

Dread1313 Avatar

What I am confused about is say for instance, I made a copper long sword, and an iron one. (would have made two iron, bur didnt have enough mats!!)
    They both came out as +2 long swords. I want to do more damage than I currently am now, how do I increase the damage? Or more to the point - how do I increase them from +2 to +3...+4 etc etc etc. Thats where I am confused. The crafting system on here is weird and I cant seem to get a straight answer from the wiki, or maybe I am just too dumb xD

Edit: I am not worried about enchanting right now. My masterwork skill is 1 or unranked (although its trained.. How do I get it to increase??)

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  15. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

the additonal numbers, +3, +4, +12, come from additional layers of mw and enchantment.

you raise your masterworking skill by doing masterworking.

you can also make swords that do more damage even before enchant/mw by using alloys or special drops for your blade and hilt. check here and here

Dread1313 and Boris Mondragon like this.
  16. Metalton

Metalton Avatar

To increase Masterwork skill, only way is to masterwork related items :)

For damage on weapons, you get innate bonuses based on the material used. (Can check the bonuses on your swords by holding control while hovering cursor over it.

Once crafted you can try to further up it by masterworking it, or enchanting it, and hoping for good outcomes ;)

Dread1313 likes this.
  17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

You can also practice on swords you find to save you some mats but no matter what you will have to go mining and get the silver and gold to master work and enchant with. Enchanting is done on the alchemy table so you will need to work that skill as well or have some one else do it for you. It is a different system this is true but you'll get the hang of it. I am Majoria in the game and I am happy to help here anytime and I'll be back in the game August 23rd and welcome to the game.

Dread1313 likes this.
  18. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

In blood river is a guy who has the bonesteel dagger on him, you need to get that to begin the truth questline.

Solazur likes this.
  19. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Or talk to Arabella, she will direct you to all the people to start the other Virtue quests. You are however free to just start them yourself, by talking to the person who starts the quest.

20. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

You can go in any direction you want, the Bonesteel dagger quest will take you to many places, and along the way past many scenes to build your chr up... @level 37 (adventure level), I would try any scene that's 2 skull, and while fighting, notice the critters name (if green, easy for you, if yellow, above you, if red, way above you), I would fight the yellow guys to gain exp (adventure exp)... The crafting pool is a different exp pool, and is gained from gathering, so I myself gather everything in sight, killing the critters as I go... I usually carve them after gathering, so they don't respawn as fast...

Chris S has said on 1 of the live streams that AL (adventure level) only counts for HP and Focus, so IMO, the more HPs you have, the less you die... Plus a strategic retreat helps too (just run away fast)... Also going out of combat AND eating some food will increase your regeneration... The higher foods last a couple of hour, and everything helps... Having heal potions ready (on a hotkey), heal spell works too, but potions may keep you from dying...

Having a Pet to adventure with really helps, even a Timber wolf or a bear... I know it's just more stuff to train and craft, but believe me it's worth it...

My story is: I was stuck at AL 58 for the longest time and grinding (even though I'm a casual player), and going slowly... until I did these two things:

-I turned OFF all my adventure skills...
    -I started fighting yellow critters...

After about 3 weeks of casual play and 2x exp weekends, I just crossed level 62 (adventure), I couldn't believe it... I didn't grind AND I went from 100k exp to 800k exp in no time flat... I'm now turning back ON some of my skills and still gaining exp/al... Plus the skill...

More advice: when you buy a new skill, use a training dummy / auto attack / locked glyph to practice up to 30-40 (well 30 goes fast, 40 might be pushing it), then go out... You can do Magic on a dummy too...

Talk to the Oricle every day to test and get 500 gold/exp... Talk to all the town criers for 100 gold for the 1st time you meet them... Do regional mail deliveries for 200 gold (since you're probably going there anyways)...

Hluill, Solazur, Dread1313 and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.