Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Disappointing release: Hitching unchanged

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by Sorthious, Jul 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Yesterday my game started to hitch really bad. After spending most of the day trying different drivers and doing tests and trying to figure it out, come out to be it had to be the game itself, everything else runs awesome. Reinstalled the game, was still there. I noticed that my settings were all saved though. So, I uninstalled and after that was done, deleted the port folder and reinstalled the game. This seemed to work for me, I dont know if this will work for you or not, but if you have not tried it, it might be worth a shot.

2. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I've tried this in the past and it did no good. I believe most of the settings are now saved server side. Again, it's an issue that was greatly improved in QA, but when the new release went Live all the improvements from QA disappeared. So, something appears to be different from QA to Live.

Feeyo likes this.
  3. Floors

Floors Avatar

It hasn't been so bad for me over last couple weeks. If I get hitching I stop and restart the client. That seems to help.

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I no longer have any hitching. Holy crap this runs fast.

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz (8) System RAM: 16303
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 GPU RAM: 8079
    SotA.Win.64.819.Date.08.01.18

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

And well, never mind. Ran off to East Vauban Foothills, even in private mode, and that place is hitched like crazy. It’s really bad.

Of note, last night, I ran off to Upper Tiers, that lower area with all the flooded buildings, and worked on leveling up a skill I could not believe I didn’t have trained. /facepalm. That area ran smooth as silk. No hitching at all. Or at least not any I noticed.

This was all with a freshly rebooted computer.

Alley Oop and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  6. Floors

Floors Avatar

The hitching is not related to how good your graphic card is. Or how fast the game runs.

It rarely happens - but when it happens, it's a problem. This thread was started by someone with 2 1080s, so it's obvious there's another issue.

I don't have hitching 99 percent of the time, but it has happened, and when it does, you'll know.

7. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

It rarely happens? Tell that to everyone who is suffering from hitching/lag that hasn't been fixed. If you want to say that you rarely experience hitching, and that is actually the case, that is fine. But, do not speak for everyone else. As the OP, I have to correct you when you say that I'm running 2 Nvidia 1080's. I'm actually running an AMD RX480 with 8gigs on board. In addition to that I am running a Skylake(6500) i5 3.2-3.6GHz CPU, 16Gigs of 2400MHz DDR4, and have an SSD Drive. Everything in my system is above recommended specs, is better than average, and there is no excuse for this horrible, for some of us, performance. I keep seeing all this effort put in to adding new things to the game will performance seems to be an afterthought. It is barely being acknowledged, much less fixed, and I'm debating whether or not to continue playing this game, as the devs don't seem to want to address the issue. I would probably be able to hold on a little longer if Devs actually gave us updates on what the problem is, what they intend to do about it, and how long a correction might take. I have patience, but that only goes so far, and I'm sure others feel the same way, and will eventually leave the game unless this issue is addressed and fixed. It would be a shame, but I'm not going to put up with this horrible performance indefinitely.

Feeyo likes this.
  8. Floors

Floors Avatar

It rarely happens to me yes. Can we try to talk to each other in a nice and pleasant way for a change without attacking everything ? Thanks

My situation is that the game is eminently playable. I don't have issues so bad I can't play, just slowdown in Ardoris and some less that great performance in places like Upper Tears at times.

Oh and the hitching.

If that is not your situation, which from your post it isn't, then please, by all means - I am not speaking for each and every one of you.

Neither do I feel like you do.

I'm not threatening to quit if the many multiple things that are broken aren't fixed. I just would like them fixed.

9. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Agreed, but you keep replying to forum entries where people are having issues and telling people that are having issues how good your performance is. It isn't at all helpful and I'm not sure why you keep doing it.

Feeyo and Alley Oop like this.
  10. Floors

Floors Avatar

Well, that's your opinion, but you don't get to decide what I can reply to or what I say. I'm sorry you don't agree, but that's not your job.

I wasn't even replying to you. I was telling Jaesun because he was getting very happy that his new video card solved his hitching and warning him that it was gonna happen again anyway (rarely).

My point being - It's not related to hardware like some are saying in the thread, it's a game problem.

That turned out to have happened, so I was right. Thank you for your time, sir.

11. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

So, Trady, it's my opinion that you told people in this Forum Thread how good your performance is? Is it also my opinion that you told people that I am running on 2 Nvidia 1080's? Those are what I like to refer to as facts, not opinions. You can say whatever you want in the forums, provided it's within the rules of the forum. However, if you say something that is incorrect or off topic to the conversation, then people can and will confront you about it. Rebooting the game is not a fix for a performance issue. This was a bug report that I filled out. Sorry if it seems like i'm being harsh but if you are commenting on a bug and just saying 'I'm not affected by that bug', you aren't contributing to fixing whatever the issue may be.

Feeyo likes this.
  12. Floors

Floors Avatar

The only reason I was saying that things are smooth *generally* wasn't to brag - I'm truly sorry that you are having trouble - It was to highlight that I also have a hitching issue - the topic is "Hitching unchanged" and I'm saying that I have hitching that doesn't seem related to you know, perhaps the hitching you're experiencing.

That seems on topic to me. Sometimes you have to reboot software if it's glitching and this game sometimes glitches. I was trying to help. I'm glad you filed a bug report.

Honestly I'm not sure if I can fix it - but I think that my posts might hopefully provide some insight into that there might be multiple problems. I hope someone comes along and reads this and says "Ah hah, I have a similar experience".

Did you ever take my advice on the first couple pages and you know, run with one GPU to see if that fixes anything ? You did post this on a public forum, after all.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  13. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Again, this is a bug report, intended to make known to the developers that there is an issue with the game that a person, me in this case, is experiencing, and to provide them with whatever information I can to help assist them in figuring out what the problem is. Suggesting a person Reboot, is not insight that will help them with fixing the issue. It's fine if someone replies they are having the same issue and posting their system specs. That way, the developers may be able to pinpoint a unifying hardware/software setup that is causing it.

Feeyo likes this.
  14. Floors

Floors Avatar

Yeah, it' a bug report on a public forum where the thread is not locked, the replies are on topic, about 10 others also replied about their issues and I also have a hitching issue.

Good luck, I won't post on your little bug report thread anymore, I hope you get your problems solved.

By the way, do you know what they do first thing every morning on the international space station ? They reboot the computers.

I was just suggesting, not rebooting btw, but restarting the game client since after playing for several hours that's when I had issues.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  15. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

The problem is that the most users that DO have all these hitching problems have a game now that is pretty unplayable. This is so frustrating as we love the game. So telling us you are not having any problems does not really help.

Yes they are running windows clients, that is needed.
    And by the way I always shutdown my computer after playing. What is your point really?

Sorthious and Jaesun like this.
  16. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

It's not a fix, but frames rate limiting with Nvidia Control Panel extensions fixes 90% of hitching, with great success since I have begun testing it out.

It lowers the overhead that causes most hitching to begin happening. I set it to cap my FPS at 100 instead of the usual 120 hz/fps I try to run. The common theme for most hitching is memory leaks gradually consuming all available RAM.

My suspicion is that people with 16-32 GB rarely experience this hitching and are not plagued by near-constant hitching after just a mere hour of playing.

It is most likely due to garbage creation and garbage collection in Unity, with various and cavalier usage of string names and formatting. Common theme with Unity assets designed by different people with different coding conventions.

You can open performance monitor in Windows and watch your consumed memory increase every time you zone. When it's fully consumed, hitching gets more frequent and longer in delay each time.

17. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I have 16gigs ram, 3.4mhz processor and a gtx 1080, and East Vauban Foothills hitches like crazy, even in private mode. Though the area I go for scrap metal runs, runs pretty smooth. It still hitches occasionally.

Sorthious likes this.
  18. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Can you provide the steps to do this? I'd like to try it out. Is this the same as manage 3D settings -> Program Settings -> Select Shroud of the Avatar -> Vertical Sync -> Change style to Adaptive. Or something else? TYVM!

19. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

Start reading through this thread. StrangerDiamond offers the solution to hard cap FPS through non-officially supported flags in the Nvidia Control Panel, using an extension app.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/performance-issues.117773/page-5

Jaesun and Mishikal like this.
  20. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Thanks! I'm going to try the Adaptive bit first, as that also apparently hard caps frame rates w/o a special tool. I should know this evening if it's helpful or not.

Jaesun likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.