Don't Reward this Behavior... bring the community together.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chrystoph Reis, Aug 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

A bunch of us are old farts just like you. Evercrack ruined, 3 years of my life though. and I can never be more thankful for the success of WOW giving it back to me! :D (I was one of the early beta testers for it and thought the game was watered-down kiddie shite, no offense to anyone who love(s)(d) it.)

EQ - best in-game community I have ever played with (even with the ninja looters)
    DDO - best dungeons and mechanics.
    NWO - best action based combat (never thought I would like combat in an MMO as much as SF2)
    SOTA - best crafting and housing system (and hoping for best player made dungeons)

2. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yup, I agree what you qouted is my refrence to dbl weekend thing not being fair to everyone.

Jaesun, Brugas and Dread1313 like this.
  3. Dread1313

Dread1313 Avatar

I agree with this as well, orange/yellow stuff, lives a lot longer than green stuff. I hit more often and harder on green stuff than yellow/orange stuff. If I attack something red, it laughs at me because I am tickling it. Not sure what the other guy was talking about though, as my findings have been totally different.

Brugas likes this.
  4. Xeng

Xeng Avatar

Yes getting to level 90 is indeed really easy with UT and dbl xp, but if you aren't getting in an UT group because they want level 90+ it will be getting harder. So comming to the some conclusion I did in the other UT thread, the advanced players are getting more advanced and the new ones will advance way slower, or get adopted by a few higher level ones.

5. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I agree so much about this post only because I have said this many times here too. I even put a non-scientific pole up to show the average age here is in the 40's. But... when I do make this generational argument the mods tend to delete them because they dont like to talk about young players not playing this game much (especially when I say millennials). I even bought my 18 year old son an edelmen account 2 years ago, he played the game for a day and now its my crafting alt lol. But this game SO targets everything I like about gaming, you aint so old at all, my fits MMO's were on modem dial ups in the 80's (VGA Planets, LoTRD). Im tired of being put on rails in modern games, largely something that started with EQ and the shift to focus on graphics and a 3D world over game play and statistics.

6. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Though ive seen the 90+ req, almost every group ive been in (200-300) ive never seen anyone booted for being to low. The only one exception was a mangar griping about some one and the party lead ignored them.

People usually ignore the title and just take a chance on being accepted. Ive seen people show up with 150 health before.

FrostII and Brugas like this.
  7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I only once had to remove a guy with 450 hp in the group. but that was after basically 2 wipes in a row. You've been in UT enough to know how bad the group has to be to wipe. But I had told the group after the first wipe that if we kept having problems I would have to ask the low players leave. Soon after it wiped again and I said we needed to replace some people and the guy left voluntarily. Some new guy with 40 GM's joined and the group continued on with no problems at all.

8. Dread1313

Dread1313 Avatar

Thank you for this brother. If we aren't just as "vocal" as they are, we will end up being forced into obscurity. We have a voice too!!!!

9. Dread1313

Dread1313 Avatar

People with enough common sense and who don't have a sense of self-entitlement can usually tell if they are bringing the group down. Its the people who are the dead weight, and they KNOW they are the dead weight, who refuse to leave and stay until they are kicked. "No I know I am not contributing because I am too lazy to level on my own like everyone else, you MUST carry me!' This is the mentality I spoke about earlier, that's literally killing MMO's, has been killing MMO's. Its people who think they are deserving of this and that. I think we all to some point (myself included) feel like we are deserving of certain things, but come on - there is a threshold that you cross and a line that's crossed when you just accept that you want everyone to do your work for you.

I myself have been in groups where I was the low man on the totem pole and I was slowing the group down, and it made me feel like ****. It took about 5 minutes for me to swallow my pride and say "sorry guys, i'm too low for this and holding you back." and bow out. I don't know why that's such a hard concept for some people to grasp.

10. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Here's the good point, all us old farts are the ones with the money. Ya, there is not many playing this game but the ones that do play are like us and we are paying to keep the game we want. That's really what we have left with SOTA, the hope that the core group continues to aid financially to keep it going. This makes a lot of sense, the simple fact is that as we all grow older, most people become vastly more financially stable. The proof being that people think cars like a Honda Civic are young people cars and they are purchased by the youngest group of car owners, yet that group is still in their 40's. I remember seeing the average age of a Cadillac in the 2000's before they renewed their lineup to be "younger" being literally in their 80's. This is why I have always known this game will continue on as a niche for a long time.

11. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Yeah there just needs to be more out there to do other than Upper Tears. I mean, you just can't expect to have this one spot to level everyone when they play the game. Right now, or at least up to this point, it's been a good thing for the community... but as has been expressed, sentimentally, it's becoming a crutch and people are expecting it.

This really should be a short-term priority to fix and have multiple areas that can be effective for various level/tier stages. I can imagine the feelings of those playing once UT is no more (no more dbl exp, even harder to grind), etc... people will probably go into withdrawal & depression lol. I mean, you can already see the effect it has had and how the community, in game and out, feels about it. This is something they need to tackle ASAP before it gets worse.

12. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Bingo! Couldn't say it any better. I didn't even have to get passed "self entitled". One of my biggest complaints about the SOTA community is how much more self entitled people are over UO. Everything has to conform in every single way to the way they see it in their own minds and if does not, it spiels out over here with people telling people how to play a video game.

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This is no longer true.

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  14. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I should clatify, ive never seen anyone kicked ive seen groups fall apart plenty of times bad/low groups etc.

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Adv level does make a difrence people can hit yellow mobs easier and for more damage then orange or red mobs.

Lord Trady of Blix and Dread1313 like this.
  16. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

The problem is by making tears 'harder' that's what is leading to more and more exclusive groups. If the content was lucrative, and could be done by fewer people, it was okay to bring along a couple new folks if they stayed more or less out of trouble. Making it so only optimized groups can do it is going to exclude people, it will no longer be the XP bonanza for the lower levels. Intentional? Perhaps, perhaps not. When Tears was first added I honestly thought it was a nod in the direction of all the "we'll never catch up!" "we can't compete in PvP with people who have been playing 10 times as long" whining - but making it more difficult seems to be going against that. Not really sure what the 'plan' here is, now. Sure would be nice to have some diversity of places to go through that are viable for a full group, regardless of level disparity. Tears was that, but is becoming less and less so.

17. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Ok, I'm confused @Chrystoph Reis

In your OP you expressed disappointment that some people were starting groups asking for 100+ or 90+ people to join, and referred to them as "elitists".
    But then, on page 3 you stated that you can solo it.
    Well, if you truly CAN solo it - then shouldn't YOU be forming groups where ALL are invited.
    If you CAN solo it, then isn't this your perfect chance to form ALL INVITED groups - so seven low level people can join in and participate ?

Someone questioned whether you really could solo it and you said:
    You don't need to bother with recording software, because I already have it in place and do UT all the time (not solo tho).

I'm Robert Frost ingame and would be happy to record you soloing UT. Just give me a day/time and friend me and I will gladly accompany you ! ;)

You can respond here or pm me, either would be fine.

18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I specifically responded to the statement that level difference had an effect on your ability to hit, not how much damage you do.

Dread1313 likes this.
  19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I can understand why sometimes a group wants a certain level but I don't believe anything limiting should be done in regards to the ability to make a mixed adv level group. Not saying this to anyone in particular but since we do need improvements to the group finder system imo it needs to cover all kinds of groups. Grouping examples are: song syncing groups(no level or skill levels required), role-playing groups (perhaps no skill levels depending on the planned activities) etc. So non combat groups need to be able to explain their group requests also as do combat groups and our group finder does a poor job of this ATM.

Brugas likes this.
  20. Dread1313

Dread1313 Avatar

Why do lower level players need an XP bonanza? Its easy enough as it is to level as lower level, (I am lower level). If anyone needs an XP bonanza, its higher levels - not lower.

Brugas likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.