1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Shroud of the Avatar Boxes Shipping Update August 20, 2018

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derium

Derium Avatar

All of us are going to find out why some USPS employees allow some older games to ship media but not newer? I'm confused.

2. Brewton

Brewton Avatar

Yup

3. Derium

Derium Avatar

woot

4. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

Us international customers have paid extra for shipping, but there won't be a tracking#... That is disturbing!

Also there is no need to declare the full game value, as this is NOT the full game being shipped, it's just collector's materials, cardboard, cloth... The replacement value is a realistic value to declare in that case!

I'd like some clarity on that, please @DarkStarr , @Serafina as I also have a US Address to have these shipped to, and pick them up when I get to the US myself, and not have to pay the additional VAT *AND* Administration fee... (On top of that, I'd have an extra $15 to spend in the store!)

GraveDncer and Cordelayne like this.
  5. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

You’re a weird one dude. I sold half my Ultima collection dude. Dude, check this dawg. I didn’t know shipping games wasn’t media mail so I shipped probably 25% of my games media mail with tracking if it sold for low amount and was a close state. Near the end of selling them all they asked me what I was shipping, I said it’s an old game floppy disks and what not, the postal worker said “Floppy disk software is okay but games specifically don’t qualify for media mail anymore.” That’s an exact quote from the postal worker, don’t believe me walk into a post office and ask geez I have zero reason to lie about such a mundane story, which is why you’re a weird one for assuming I’d make it up dude. I speak truth.

Derium and CICI like this.
  6. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

I had someone suggest I post here to clarify some points. So first up, people seem to be thinking that you would ship thousands of boxes to dozens of countries world wide by logging into stamps.com or usps.com and that the same rules apply. That isn't how it works. If we need to ship 1000 boxes to 1000 addresses in Germany you don't box up 1000 packages in the US and ship them. That simply doesn't scale and is cost prohibitive and runs into massive VAT tax and custom hold problems. That isn't even how you ship 1000 boxes from in the US to the US.

Large scale shipping like this has to be done by shipping entire palettes of boxes to different areas and then those get shipped out locally. Even within the USA to ship large quantities you ship to local distribution centers within the US and they ship from there.

For the person who posted the screen shot of cost to add tracking being zero, yes, for single items, if you go over 13 ounces, you can't ship first class. Over 13 ounces for normal shipping moves it up to priority mail which is expensive and comes with tracking free. Again though, that isn't how bulk shipping works.

So, as for the cries of "why no tracking?", well, because it doesn't make it any more likely for the package to arrive. It would have just been an extra expense that works out to a half an employee for a year just so you could see your package move from city to city but with no actual benefit other than you getting to watch a progress bar. Also, adding tracking would have just delayed the shipping further as well. The only thing that would give a meaningful benefit would be if we required you guys signed for the packages which costs even more and honestly is annoying as F*** to 90% of people.

My thanks to those responded properly to this post but sadly, much of this non-sense above is why we can't have nice things.

Elwyn, Dargalin, Ludger and 37 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.