Linking Public Vendor Globally for Searches

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Mingo Ebonmark, Aug 27, 2018.

?

Would you like to be able to search for items on other public vendors from the one you are at?

1. Yes - let me search for items listed on all public vendors from the one I am using.

27 vote(s)
    71.1%
  2. No - I like the public vendor system as it is.

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mingo Ebonmark

Mingo Ebonmark Avatar

I've been disheartened many times to find nothing being listed on the public vendors in large busy towns such as Brittany Wharf/Alleys etc. Do you think it would be good to encourage more people to use the public vendor by allowing a system as follows :-

- Max 10 items per person
    - 7 days listing
    - Allow users to search for items in every other public vendor in the world.
    - Items will only be purchasable from the public vendor it is listed on - so after searching you will need to travel there.

Jason_M, Cirsee, Jatvardur and 2 others like this.
  2. Mingo Ebonmark

Mingo Ebonmark Avatar

If someone likes the stuff I've listed they might even come and travel to my little home town of Axwich in the middle of nowhere and I'll finally have a visitor!! … and maybe my first ever house guest!

FrostII and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  3. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

The catch here is that people may just go that specific location and specific vendor and no longer bother browse through other vendors.

Just consider real world example. If you know exactly what you need, you may just buy an item online and move on doing other things rather than drive to a store and browse through their selection.

4. Lady Kathleen

Lady Kathleen Avatar

I think that was his point... Where you can see all available but have to go to the right vendor to actually purchase it.

Maybe they could add a small fee to see all?

5. MFWalter

MFWalter Avatar

I would rather see the Public Vendor become a listing for all vendors in that town. People could list things on the public vendor for a fee like the current system, but additionally the public vendor would show every item for sell on every vendor in town. When you are on the public vendor you could pick this vendor or town for the item list. If you find an item you want to purchase that is not on the public vendor, but instead on a different in town vendor, he could put a marker on your compass to that vendor like the town crier does.

6. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

in some market towns that would be a VERY long load.

Elwyn, Jaesun, Witcheypoo and 2 others like this.
  7. Mingo Ebonmark

Mingo Ebonmark Avatar

That would shatter my dream of listing some cheap items to attract shoppers from around the globe to visit my little secluded town and perhaps browse my humble store.

Lady Kathleen likes this.
  8. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Thats actually a very cool idea sort of like market centralization but on town level...kinda like a small auction house..you got to public vendor and see all items listed on vendors in that town. I like it... the only problem i see here is

- a town with 100 vendors ( 100 listings on each ) means 10.000 items listed ...what happens when you open the public vendor and 10k items start loading up ?
    - if the items dont show up when you open public vendor and you need to use search to find something specific would still be a good function .

9. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Linking the public vendors so we can view all of them from one location is an interesting idea.

I could buy an item from Aerie on their public vendor but it was actually listed on the public vendor in Ardoris.

The system, after the sale mails the item to me and charges me the mailing fee.

Could be neat. It would increase sales on public vendors and people that use public vendors could and would use them in all towns regardless of the foot traffic.

The oracle could run the system and all the vendors would switch to automatons or perhaps the kobalds could run a system like that.

10. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

Searchable or filterable global vendor search sounds like a great idea from my point of view (as a consumer). I think you would have to categorise items etc and browse that way, else load times would be crazy. But then I think you should still have to go to the vendor and actually buy the item, it is just a form advertising rather than selling. Without having to go to the actual vendor then market town POTs won't exist or will but will be ghost towns of vendors with no actual shoppers. I seem to remember this was how player town vendors in SWG worked, not sure though, was a long time ago.

The only downside is that it does kind of removes a play style from the game. Some pure merchants make their living by manually searching though vendors (not me though, i hate shopping IRL and ingame) and checking vendors for cheap deals to resell.

Regards
    Spung

11. radi

radi Avatar

I would like to add to this: Make the public vendors global. Just like you are making global banks the public vendors should be global as well.

Proteus Tempest likes this.
  12. Boobles

Boobles Avatar

What effect would a global vendor have on the game economy? Is it as simple as more convenient lookups or can a dastardly knave find a huge enough market to launder his ill gotten real world wealth thus resulting in the RMT of this game to go the way of Diablo 3's RMAH? It seems like localized vendors with their limited reach keeps this potential threat to the game in check.

Alioth likes this.
  13. Mingo Ebonmark

Mingo Ebonmark Avatar

Would it have that kind of negative impact? Max 10 items per person, then on the public vendor you are using there is a little drop down list of every city/town/village that you can just select and you will be able to view that public vendor's item list which you can not actually buy until you go there.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  14. Lady Kathleen

Lady Kathleen Avatar

Global banking? where?

15. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

The dev's have backed off a lot of stuff recently going into this next release due to the simple fact the population is tiny playing the game (everything under "regional economies"). Banks are a great example of something that would work if there is a ton of people playing but does not now. They should make it global now. However, if the population rose 10x in the next few months, the current banking system would be fine.

16. yinki2

yinki2 Avatar

make it simple auctiin house same as eve online, you can buy from anywhere but have to go get your item where it s been sold.

add a transaction taxes to auction house it so it still be intersting to sell on player tax free vendors.

oh and only one auction house so people can gather arround and socialize.Maybe a new small zone dedicated to it.

Jatvardur likes this.
  17. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

I would LOVE this to be implemented...
    Along with so many other things in Shroud, shopping is a laborious chore...

Having a centralized Vendor search system, should apply to ALL vendors, both Public & Player Owned, with a drop down menu search list for specialized properties.

For example:
    • Helm > Leather > Dex > Str = Listings showing all of the Leather Helms with Dex & Str. We could then compare the stats, quality, additional bonuses & of course price.
    I feel this would be a huge step forward.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    Witcheypoo, Jatvardur and FrostII like this.
  18. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Yes.... but take it a step further.

Do the economy a REAL favor, and let us search ALL vendors inventory's.

It took UO many years to realize the value of that approach, and it paid great dividends .

What's the point of having your vendor in a POT or PRT or NPC town.....when nobody really has any way of knowing what you have for sale.

There are TONS of vendors scattered across all the lands in SotA, but running across the map with scene loading's (both in and out) on the chance that some far off vendor MIGHT have something you want/need/can afford is not considered a lot of fun by the masses.

The removing of the necessity of loading/running thru CP's and/or Sieges is a sign of their recognition of this.

What on earth could be wrong with the ability to search the inventory of EVERY vendor across the lands ?

It would be a godsend..........

Witcheypoo, Jatvardur and ebonmark like this.
  19. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

Under the current system, simply shopping should be considered a quest, and XP be granted for it. Zone in, talk to upwards of 110 different vendors to see if they have the 1-2 items you're looking for. Finish, move onto the next zone to search another upwards of 110 vendors, etc, ad nausium. The amount of data transferring, the number of database calls to grab the vendor data...it must be monumental.

Witcheypoo and ebonmark like this.
  20. MFWalter

MFWalter Avatar

Under the current system it probably would, but we are supposed to be getting better vendor UI and I have played too many games where there is a central auction house that has a ridiculous number of items listed that works just fine. If you look at a game like World of Warcraft those Auction Houses are listing every item sold by every player on the same faction. So every Horde Auction House is linked and shows every item every Horde player on that whole server is listing and every Alliance Auction House shows every item every Alliance player is listing. I know Shroud is different, but it shows that it can be done.

Witcheypoo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.