Are element resistance skills useful in pve?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by gtesser, Aug 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

I was wondering if it is worth the time and xp to Gm all the element resistance spells like fire, air, and water if I only fight against monsters.

2. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Many mobs do some form of elemental or magic damage. If you want to not die as often these are very important to have. I would guess that Fire, currently, is going to be the damage that you take most often right now, followed by Air, and Water is, again, currently the least important as there are fewer creatures that cast water spells. The Norgard spellcasters cast water spells, so it would help with them. If you want to ever do The Rise expect to take both Death and Fire damage from them. So, you definitely would want to build up resists to everything you can.

FrostII and gtesser like this.
  3. Floors

Floors Avatar

You don't need to GM them. Getting them to 80 works well

4. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

If you want the best protection you can get you do want to GM them. Go try and do the mage room in The Rise with just 80 Fire Proof and no Death Attunement. The will tear you up. The more resists you get the better, and the better prepared you will be to fight the hardest mobs in the game.

the Lacedaemonian and FrostII like this.
  5. Floors

Floors Avatar

The rise ? why bother. I get more XP faster at UT.

6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Lord Trady of Blix Perhaps, at some point, he or you might wish to move beyond UT.
    I believe that was what @Sorthious was referring to.
    And I agree with him completely.
    The differences between 80 and 100 and 110/120 is very considerable.
    Anywhere........................;)

7. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I suppose if you are lower level then UT is the easiest/fastest way to get XP, but I can attenuate in The Rise solo, which I can't do in Upper Tears, and The Rise beats standing around in UT any day of the week. If you are trying to attentuate, good luck with that in UT. It's contingent upon how fast the group you're with can clear it. Regardless, the conversation was about resists and whether the OP should GM them, and I say if you want to be able to have a chance against the hardest content in the game, then yes, you should train every resist you can. With that said, you may want to hold up a bit as, rumor has it, there is going to be something like a resist tree that we can train rather than worring about building up attunement in every tree for resistance.

8. Floors

Floors Avatar

Really ? When did you hear that ? That's great news for non-magic users that just want resists and don't want to waste xp to take stuff from 80 to 100.

As to my level - I started during R52 in earnest. I'm level 98, mainly thanks to UT. I've never really had an issue with gaining a ton of XP in UT or ATT, especially on the weekends,
    but to be honest - I'm not good enough to PvP yet because it's only endgame players AFAICT and I'm kind of bored with grinding - the idea of grinding more trees to move 80s to 100s isn't appealing to me tbh, so very interested in resist tree.

the Lacedaemonian likes this.
  9. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

10 spells at 80 in a magic tree gives you +20 resist in this tree/school. Having them at 100 gives you +25 resist. Would use the XP to get from 80 to 100 elsewhere.
    There are also warden gems (+25 resist) and resist potions (+25 and +50 resist) out there. And there are spells that add resist also.

10. Floors

Floors Avatar

People are saying in the other thread that ward gems are not working right now tho (bugged). I dunno if that is true, but I do know there are bugs out there that badly affect game balance ( like the baccanal belt giving unlimited str). That stuff needs to get fixed before all the items stuff that's broken needs fixing. They said they would, so we'll see.

FrostII likes this.
  11. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Just a rumor going around. Think someone told me they heard it mentioned on a telethon or something.

12. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

The belt is fixed in QA

Dhanas and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  13. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

My stance on these things in this game is that people vastly underestimate the power of all the defensive stuff including resists. I say dump as much into them as you can across all the skills and you will find your char far more sustainable in battle then some glass cannon that put all their skills into their weps. But the key is they need to be taken as a whole, all ~25 of them that are pure defense (buffs, shields, resists, passives, stats, etc)

I would prefer to have 100 is wep skills and 130 in defense skills.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    Sorthious and the Lacedaemonian like this.
  14. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Just a little. I can atten 15 minutes faster in UT then solo in The Rise on the Mages (and as others point out who are the 1%, they can atten in the Rise faster then UT Solo).

But dont forget, I bring in 3 yellow bags and .5 blue an hour in the Rise and none in UT (maybe 5 yellow bags in the past 300 hours in UT). Also, probably 1 random atrifact every few hours in The Rise.

15. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

That's great, it's just a shame that all the artifacts are mediocre at best.

It's not on topic at all to talk further on that subject.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.