Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

UI absolutely is improving!

Discussion in 'Release 56 Feedback' started by Astirian, Aug 21, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Check it yo:

[​IMG]

Just wanted to offer some positive feedback, this is definitely a great improvement. Thank you. :)

Presentation is 9/10ths of the law.

2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Same here, I like the direction this is going. It’s much less obtrusive.

Astirian likes this.
  3. Greyhaven

Greyhaven Avatar

Very generous of you to give Portalarium a standing ovation for simply removing the border around windows and darkening the toolbar icons. More positive measures suggested by myself and others years ago should have been implemented but I’m not going to post my suggestions a third time. Instead, we will continue with the existing tedious and very basic offering.

4. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I hate the borderless design! It's fine if you only have one window open, but if you have multiple windows up, good luck finding the one you want to drag out of the way; especially when the game likes to overlap them when you open a new window. It would be nice if they offered us a choice.

ebonmark likes this.
  5. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Or at least a transparency slider so you aren't confused by gray text all over the place.

6. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I, at least, need borders on the tops of my windows so I know where I need to click to drag them. Borderless you can't distinguish one window from the others behind it. I really don't care much about the UI other than it's functional. I thought they were fine in the first place. I'm playing a game, and I'm not worried about having a super cool looking UI. Just give me one that works for me.

Elwyn likes this.
  7. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

I feel like a light grey outline like the one around the Play button on the launcher could work...

Sorthious likes this.
  8. disorder

disorder Avatar

This.

Cosmetically a slight improvement but functionally, nothing.

Sorthious likes this.
  9. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i saw a shot somewhere of several UIs they were testing out, and one of them was with dark blue borders. IF they were to add borders back, i'd rather not have the gold again.

Sorthious and Astirian like this.
  10. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

That's my point, we were getting laughed out of the room with the old one. :)

Sorthious likes this.
  11. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Again, I don't care what the UI looks like. I just want to have the functionality that a UI represents. @Astirian , I'm not sure we would get laughed out of a room for a bland UI, as, in my opinion, what's more important are the actual graphics of the game. But, as I said, I'm pretty flexible with whatever colors people want it to be, provided it doesn't make them difficult to see/use.

Astirian likes this.
  12. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I'd have to see it....If it's too light it might still make it hard to distinguish the border of one window from another. I think I mentioned this before, but if not, I would suggest giving players multiple options for the look of their UI, so that way everyone can be happy(or at least content.)

Astirian likes this.
  13. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Looks and functionality aren't mutually exclusive, in fact I agree with you; functionality > visuals. But the post wasn't really made with functionality in mind, it looks to me like they've been updating the functionality fairly regularly over the past 4 years in fact, but what hadn't changed, was the look of the UI.

The visuals of the engine have been improving, better lighting, better modelling, better animations, water, SFX etc... but what I hadn't seen - was a refresh of what I honestly would have called an alpha candidate of a UI. All elements of a game matter, the objective is to make it polished as a whole, it's my feeling that they chip away at lots of little bits till the final vision (or as close as you can get) is achieved*. I'm not after a super cool looking UI, I'm just happy with something that meets a minimum standard, which I feel the old UI didn't.

I wouldn't call it a standing ovation, what I would call it is appreciation that something that has been neglected for a long time has finally been addressed. Positive reinforcement is nice too sometimes.

P.S: For what it's worth, I was actually pushing for a much more skeuomorphic look (like Ultima VII, VIII and UO) but I find the dark UI quite nice, which surprised me.

* Maybe games are like movies, they aren't released, they escape!

Sorthious likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.