Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Hitching keeps getting worse for me

Discussion in 'Release 57 Feedback' started by Sorthious, Aug 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

I am at a loss to this issue. I run the game on two different systems. One has hitching and one does not and never has so why there is a difference for me is dumbfounding

Jaesun, Mishikal and Barugon like this.
  2. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

You've already made this suggestion, and as I said restarting the game or rebooting the computer has no effect. Most people, with the exception of the those who have a purpose for leaving their computer on overnight, do not leave it on overnight. Regardless, restarting/rebooting does not fix the issue that causes hitching. This is what we, that suffer from the problem, are/have been looking to happen. This is not a new issue. We are fed up with the reboot/start advice, the distraction of trying to say that it is probably a problem with our hardware, that it is likely a problem with Linux,etc. It is obviously either a problem with SOTA or, more specifically, a problem with Unity.

Feeyo, Witcheypoo, Barugon and 2 others like this.
  3. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Other than the consideration of trying to minimize energy usage, restarting/rebooting has no noticeable effect on performance.

Witcheypoo and Mishikal like this.
  4. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Yes, that was my point. ;)

5. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

That's a cultural thing. Of course I turn the monitor off, but you may be surprised that many people don't turn a computer off at night. I also have quite a few computers that run as internet servers, those are supposed to stay on. And since I don't do much else on computers that play SotA, I (used to) leave them on at the login screen, but stopped when that just meant I had horrible hitching the next day. I don't lately to avoid recent hitching problems, and from currently being in a patch cycle, but I might try again next week.

6. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Well, if it is a geographical/location thing, i am from germany.

So that means that some folks at Travian should experience the same issues.
    So since the DEVs can't reproduce it maybe they can collaborate with Travian about the hitching/fps drop issues.

Sorthious and Feeyo like this.
  7. Greyhaven

Greyhaven Avatar

I don’t think the game should be continued to be developed for Linux if i) there are performance problems & ii) features don’t work (like maps for instance). Supporting that platform is a distraction and waste of resources.

8. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

The game is not "developed" separately for GNU/Linux. It is the unity engine that supports building for GNU/Linux. It uses mostly defines that translate functionality to OpenGL instead of DirectX...

9. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Should we apply your logic to Windows? The performance issues aren't isolated to Linux and, if I recall correctly, the mapping system in Windows has problems. Not sure why you are suggesting discontinuing support for Linux. So, should we also discontinue support for Windows machines because of performance/feature issues?

Witcheypoo, Barugon, Mishikal and 2 others like this.
  10. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

Guys, don't feed the Troll.

Mishikal, Sorthious, Feeyo and 2 others like this.
  11. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Yeah, I leave my computer on 24/7 as well (monitor auto sleeps). The power consumption is low in that case, and I too certainly leave games up and running (with the exception of SOTA). SOTA is simply a massive resource hog and consumes insane amounts of electricity (Not playing SOTA for 3 weeks knocked $200 off my power bill). I'm glad that restarting the client resolves hitching for you, but your solution simply doesn't work for myself or many other people in these multiple threads about hitching where you've brought it up as a potential solution.

Sorthious likes this.
  12. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I recently posted a thread about hitching being much better.. which it was for me for a few days. Over the past few days, however, it's the same as it ever was (as the Talking Heads once said). Turning off camera effects and lowering video settings helps but doesn't solve the problem.

The odd thing is that the hitching is bad some days.. and ok other days. Maybe networking and the number of players on does have something to do with it.

Sentinel2, GrayFog, Feeyo and 4 others like this.
  13. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

That's what I'm wondering.

On the QA server, hardly any hitching at all. Even before the Thursday release. I think the number of players is affecting it. Just a guess.

Sorthious likes this.
  14. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

I've definitely seen a negative impact when the wife is streaming TV.

15. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The other night, I did something interesting. I had noticed the last time I had downloaded the stand alone installer was over 4 months ago. On a whim, I uninstalled SOTA and rebooted. Then installed the latest stand alone installer.

I’m now getting much faster scene loading times (it is REALLY fast now). Also I noticed a lot less hitching. However, I need to go run through the lower area of Upper Tiers and see how that area preforms. The hitching was very notable there ans well as East Vauban Foothills. Will give that a try later tonight.

Just curious, people currently having bad hitching, have you possibly tried a new install?

Feeyo likes this.
  16. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I have not. Could be a valid point in having some older client garbage laying around on disk that is causing issues. I will give it a try on my systems. Thanks.

Will report back.

Jaesun likes this.
  17. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I have not, either. Although my wife, who is using steam, also sees serious hitching. So that wouldn't be related to the standalone installer, but it could be the same underlying problem (old files, etc, laying around?)

Jaesun likes this.
  18. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

So I tried removing my old installation, and downloaded the latest patcher, installing it clean on my disk. And unfortunate the hitching was the same. :(

Mishikal and Jaesun like this.
  19. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

So forcing GLCore to version 4.5 works best on my system, I am not sure if Unity actually puts the correct OpenGL version when booting up without parameters, but performance seems better forcing it. (FPS wise).
    Hitching is just unfixable it seems.

Alley Oop and Sorthious like this.
  20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Here's how I play SotA now because of severe hitching:
    • Talk to the oracle and get 500 gc
    • Pay taxes for row lot.
    • Log out
    • Talk to the oracle and get 500 gc
    • Pay taxes for row lot
    • Quit

Thread Status: