New stuff on the addon store!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Sep 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

Not really - the reason your $1500, 2-year old computer is now worth $900 is because a whole range of new processors and GPUs have come out since that time. A computer today is literally different and better than your old one, that is why the price depreciated.

Nothing about vendors has changed, except that Port priced them lower now. So the analogy is not great. The somewhat forced scarcity of vendors being walled behind bundles and pledges is now gone. I don't know what the proper analogy is for it, but it is not similar to why a computer today is worth less than a much more powerful one a year from now.

Sonja, Pikegirl, Crowell and 5 others like this.
  2. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

A better analogy might be diamonds. There's an enforced scarcity because DeBeer's enforced it. If they suddenly changed their minds and started selling everything they could the price would fall rapidly. They don't do that because it would undermine the decades of advertising and production controls they've used to make us think that an allotrope of carbon is actually worth something.

Port have dropped the illusion of scarcity; it's clear the value of the items on the store is extremely little. It's a bold strategy Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for them!

Sonja, 3devious, Elwyn and 4 others like this.
  3. Terrence Phillip

Terrence Phillip Avatar

There is also precedent. Take the crafting pavillions for example. They were selling at around 200$ before the new crafting pavillions came up in the addon store. Same thing with the darkstarr moondial , it lost value once the ornate moondials started selling in the addon store. When coto vendors started selling stuff from the addon store , a lot of items from bundles started losing some value in the marketplace. I think making things easily available and cheaper is a good thing for the health of the game.

Elwyn, Witcheypoo, Lace and 2 others like this.
  4. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

This is a video game with a limited lifespan. It always has been and like all video games, always will. In fifteen years? I would love to be playing an updated and modernized Shroud with many new features and functions, but... if we don't have that, what will all the "stuff" I have be worth?

It's worth what the market will pay, until the market will no longer pay.

Brewton, Brass Knuckles and K1000 like this.
  5. Verit

Verit Avatar

What bothers me even more than fire sale is....

Items that were listed as "exclusive" are not.

I feel like I have recieved a music box from this guy ....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    Bom, Sonja, 3devious and 4 others like this.
  6. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

I wasn’t commenting on if this decision was good or bad, only that the computer analogy was perhaps flawed.

If what you are really getting at us that you just want the game to survive and you think this is a way to do that , just say it.

But the prices of things do not always depreciate simply because time has passed, is all I was pointing out.

Sonja and Crowell like this.
  7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Im pretty sure this move generated much needed cash flow. This is a game and thinking of it as an investment is a mistake.

Some of the addon store price are priced at the enthusiest level and many people have been priced out of the game. $500 dollars or $1200 to have access to these items is crazy. The biggest issue being the vendors, it was way worse when everything was pre taxxed though.

This will help correct some of this and though some of your items will be devalued more people will be willing to take a chance at the title.

Toast: To the kickstarters and early pledgers, now its time to think long term.

Elwyn, Witcheypoo, Nelzie and 2 others like this.
  8. Pon Orapon

Pon Orapon Avatar

What's next? Prosperity tools?

9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

You speak as if it was us that decided our exclusive rewards were supposed to have value. Nelzie even says that the item has only value if the market pays for it ? The market ?!

Portalarium went out of their way to help things keep value... ok maybe @dallas was doing that and now they don't do anymore.

But to me that is strange ! I mean all along they were working with him and every time something was to devalue a pledge, especially old ones, they cancelled it or made it significantly lesser. I even asked him once to make different colors of musical instruments, and he told me that they don't do too much reskins so that the value of the original keeps the same.

Why are you all acting like RG didn't repeat those details of the meta-economy before ?! This is unreal... look I'm not angry but make an effort if you want to ease some of our discomfort.

They built up trust, built more trust... and then poof. It's not hard to understand.

You can agree with it, you can display virtue by saying you would sacrifice that value to enhance the new player experience, you can cheer... but why do we have to deal with those lowdown ? Why do we need to feel like somehow we're the bad persons because we enjoy integrity ?

I'm like... whew... eyes going cross sides.
    I'm not angry, I'm fine.

Bom, Sonja, Selene and 6 others like this.
  10. Crowell

Crowell Avatar

However, it's how all those things have been sold : "Just give us a lot of money and you'll get something very special, very rare, exclusive, ..." In other words : "we ensure you that you will get something that will be worth the big expense". And since a virtual good is not perishable, its value depends only on the word given by the publisher during the whole game lifetime (which is supposed to be huge as many MMO like UO, WOW or Dofus can prove it). If I knew that I could get a similar (just not to say an almost identical) thing for an undercutted price while waiting for some time, I would not have paid so much in the first place (and we would not have this discussion because a lot of people would have think the same as I do). And the word given by Portalarium would still have some value... So yes, every purchase is an investment, whether for the use or the value of the good. Even the brand new car whose value will lose 20% after the first miles you drive is an investment. Then, a fortiori, it's the case with a game that shows a Player Marketplace in its forum after being promised a given scarcity for the virtual items I bought. You only have good and bad investments. Some have a big return value, some don't. I'll let you decide where we are now. But obviously, this -70% price reduction showed how the global public market figured that out already.

Sonja, Woodchuck and K1000 like this.
  11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

For the folks who are late to this 15 page discussion I will boil this topic down to it's essence: YMMV.

12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Correct expression : YMMV, OHRGDB4/FTROVL

or just randomly gets divided by 4 / for the rest of vehicle's lifetime.

You have to read the small print always :p

13. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

estimated time before lock 1-2 hours. try to get the last word in while you can.

14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

*Word*

15. Brewton

Brewton Avatar

I think all of the comments on this thread have a lot of merits. I think the backers who thought these items were exclusive were let down.

Perhaps Port should have gone about this a bit differently. If I were them, to keep items promised as exclusive, I would have put a new +4 crafting table on sale for $30. This would have kept the original +5 as exclusive and still given a reason for people to buy the +4 tables. Regarding the CF vendor, they could have re-skinned them so they look a lot less impressive and totally different than the exclusive ones.

Sonja, Cordelayne, Tiina Onir and 5 others like this.
  16. Crowell

Crowell Avatar

All those things could have been options on the table. But actually those have not been considered seriously. Now it's too late to cancel or redo this decision. What is done... is done. Personaly, it's not like it will change my life but I could not stay quiet when people were obediently saying that new Pay-to-Win options are great when those who already Paid-to-Win at the highest price were virtually screwed.

17. Brewton

Brewton Avatar

@Crowell tru dat! I agree, more options and communication could have gone a long way. Hopefully, it's a leason learned and it will be done better in the future.

3devious and K1000 like this.
  18. Crowell

Crowell Avatar

That's not the first iteration with this, alas. Just ask the guys who bought many deeds because of the local banks, or those who kickstarted for exclusive CF vendors, crafting stations or deeds which have been sold with the bundles, and they will probably tell you how easy it is for Portalarium to add just a few words or remove a single banner, when loyal backers lose hundreds of dollars. Lots of people said that RMT were dangerous and this game opted for those nonetheless. Now many of those who trusted the whole thing are totally ripped off, including RMT traders of course (and ok, those knew the risk) but not only them. Those who felt delusioned had the possibility to recoup a part of their dollars. Those who had health or family issues too. Of course, nobody should count on that in the first place but it's really crazy when you think that those who financially supported this game at an early stage are those who paid the high price.

19. Lace

Lace Avatar

Yep-They have said for years you would be able to craft stations THAT WERE BETTER than the pledge ones. Been waiting for that, but based on this thread when that happens, the crying will start again. We already have situationally better tools we can make to the prosperity as well.

20. Lace

Lace Avatar

Is that a woodchuck? It looks like my prairie dogs that I have had as pets. Regardless CUTE! and made me smile while reading this thread lol.

Cordelayne and Woodchuck like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.