Patch 830 taming comments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Silvanus, Sep 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silvanus

Silvanus Avatar

Here are some issues I have with the latest tweaks to taming.
    Taming 120 / combat training 102 / collar recovery 100 / specialization 66 / blessing of the tamer

Collar Recovery has been significantly reduced. Previously, with the collar recovery skill at 100, I almost never burned a collar unless I tamed something. Now, taming undamaged Ferocious Obsidean Bears and Obsidean Destroyers, I burn through collars at a ridiculous rate. Is there some sort of penalty for trying to raise taming on high level creatures or is the algorithm messed up?

Taming % for higher level pets seems to have gotten too easy ... if taming is going to be a meaningful part of the game, it should be harder to capture higher level creatures and there should be more than a summoning requirement for someone to purchase and use one.

For a non-specialized tamer ... a tamed pet's hit points had some percentage relationship to its strength in the wild. Specialization allows a tamer to take a pet beyond it's wild strength, but the relative strength of high end pets ... bears vs corpions vs spiders ... no longer makes any sense to me.

An obsiean bear is a 59 summons pet, the darkstar corpion is a 79 summons pet and is stronger in the wild, yet the obsidean bear is the stronger pet (1241 / 1222).

A ferocious obsidean bear has 14,000+ hit points in the wild, the destroyer has 31,000+. A 79 summons ferocious bear patriarch has roughly 1,400 points, but once tamed it's no different than the 84 summons ferocious obsidean bear. I haven't tamed a destroyer yet, but I'm fully prepared to find that's the same as the other bears.

I applaud the addition of the higher level creatures, but it would appear at the moment they are more for bragging rights than fighting companions.
    I'm just sayin'

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  2. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Remember with collar recovery, level 100 is 50% of the max of 200 you can get in it. All skills from what I understand can go up to 200 (or more).

Brass Knuckles and Perashim like this.
  3. Silvanus

Silvanus Avatar

Understood my good Duke ... but the change in utilization since the last patch or 2 seems significant

4. thesometimeslurker

thesometimeslurker Avatar

Don't forget that the taming specialization now boosts your tame creature chance further! Ih ave 120 in tame creature and 100 in the spec, and the difference between having and not having it is huge (I have an Obsidian destroyer because of it).

5. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

The destroyer isnt the same, can go way higher my friend has one with 3k hp, i do agree that the ferocious should be at least mid range from large to destroyer instead of acting like a large one

Brass Knuckles and Perashim like this.
  6. Rat2

Rat2 Avatar

If you want to see something funny, go send your ferocious obsidian bear against a non-tamed one. The visual size difference is huge (as well as the hit point difference).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.