Sadistic game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Witcheypoo, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Witcheypoo

Witcheypoo Avatar

Ok, to preface this, I love this game, I play daily. Have made MANY great friends and LOVE watching the livestreams. The devs are quite obviously awesome people who enjoy interacting with the community and each other, this is something I treasure.....HOWEVER,

The death penalty...why? Just why? There is a saying, if you want more of something subsidize (reward) it, if you want less of something Tax (punish) it. Why are players taxed/punished for the very actions that we are SUPPOSED to do in this game? When I want to explore I take on a very real risk of death. Some of the folks I know lose a LOT of xp from death. It reduces the desire to explore, to try new things and generally to enlarge upon our enjoyment and experiences in this game! The death penalty adds NOTHING to the game but MORE time in places that we have been a hundred or more times already! I lock skills to keep from having those horrendous xp penalties! I thought that you creators of this game WANTED us to explore and try new things? Maybe not? maybe just get another UT group and wonder when you will be good enough to DO something? Sadly people will NOT do crazy things, will NOT go out and attempt things that they MIGHT be able to do. Maybe figure out another way to make death mean something?

If you WANT people to explore the awesome content created, figure out another death "penalty" I mean, I played WoW for a few years. We had SO much fun doing NUTTY things in my guild, (alliance) we went on naked runs thru Orgrimmar! we EXPECTED to die but it was still FUN! Do you think ANYONE in this game would do something like that? NO, too much to lose!

well i know, TLDR but in short...please consider either EXTREMELY diminishing the death penalty or removing it altogether. We get punished and taxed enough in real life.

Thanks,
    Witcheypoo Kelabra

Nikko, Leostemplar, Thwip and 24 others like this.
  2. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

Shouldn't you be trying to get Jimmy's flute?

3. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

I die a lot. I lose a few thousand XP. I get the impression from the passion of your post that you're losing much more, however.

For the sake of the ignorant and unwashed masses, might we get a summary of just how much you're losing and how it is calculated?

I ask because my experience with death and skill decay has been quite positive. Clearly the younger generation of player (the proverbial launch arrivals) are experiencing something rather different.

An aside: I used to jump from the monastery in Highvale outskirts rather than take the elevator because I thought death had no consequences. I quickly learned that it does, but it scales. How much exactly is the question many of us might be asking.

Synergy Blaize and Vaiden Luro like this.
  4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I never get tired of saying that and i know i will take flak for that but....just don't die.

5. mass

mass Avatar

I always wonder what kind of builds people have who are concerned about the death penalty. At Adv Lvl 93, I loose about 20,000 xp on death. At current xp gain rates, that's about 10 huge crocs killed. To me, that's a pretty tame punishment for death. When I go to the UT cave solo and die a couple of times, I still walk out an hour later with +600,000 xp.

But, I suspect people who are far more min/maxed have greater penalty, which I assume is intended as it contributes to the soft cap of power in the game. I am surprised when lower level people seem to feel the sting of death penalty. It hasn't ever felt very severe to me, but I only have a couple of combat skills at GM. I'm not saying anybody is wrong for disliking the death penalty, but as a semi-casual player, it's never felt overly punitive to me.

6. Witcheypoo

Witcheypoo Avatar

haha Pawz. cute :)

I have friends who lose closer to half a mil xp with ONE death, the more skills you take over 120 the more massive is the death "tax". not everyone has the time or desire to grind it back.

StarLord, Gamician, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  7. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

death damages your equipment whether you have any xp on the line or not.

the death penalty, for each skill, is nothing at 40 or below, a percent of the xp in the skill between 40 and 80, a higher percent between 80 and 100, and a higher still percent past 100. to calculate your xp loss on death would involve calculating it for every adventuring skill you have xp in and adding them all up.

this maxes out at 24 hours; your first death when it's been more than that will take half your decay, the next within a short time a further quarter, and so on, to the point that if you've died a handful of times within a short period of time trying to accomplish something you may as well keep going as you have nothing more to lose. ...except for equipment damage.

Sorthious, ebonmark, Jason_M and 7 others like this.
  8. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

Until some crucial bugs are fixed, I suggest to remove the death penalty.

By Tor, 3devious, Brewton and 2 others like this.
  9. Brewton

Brewton Avatar

Permadeath FTW!

ozzzmosis, Astirian, Elwyn and 2 others like this.
  10. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Simply put, this has been railed on for years and they simply do not get it. In fact, This is Chris "suck it" topic. If there was one thing I have seen anger this community more then anything its this topic and it has never changed and probably one of the reason no one is playing this game.

Its not like this system historically for the past 20 years has been a failure in other games like EQ1.

I have long suggested a softer approach. We already have attenument debuffs. If you die, you simply take a 15-30 minute 25% xp attainment debuff....

SIMPLE!!!

StarLord, MrBlight, By Tor and 11 others like this.
  11. Witcheypoo

Witcheypoo Avatar

Good idea, there are SO many other ways to "punish" death, but the REAL question is, isn't death punishment enough? I still have to find an ankh, rez, rebuff, and get back to where i WANT to be. do we REALLY need to be punished in a GAME? When i look at my xp and realize i have to do ANOTHER UT it really makes me just /log off and play mahjong. Is that what they want?

Witcheypoo

12. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

Agreed, there are better ways to encourage players to spend more time logged in. Fun mobs, great loot, etc. Death penalty is not one of them.

13. LiquidBlaze

LiquidBlaze Avatar

Punishment is actually spelled "crafting".

StarLord, Retro, ozzzmosis and 16 others like this.
  14. Witcheypoo

Witcheypoo Avatar

LMAO LiquidBlaze! yes, crafting can seem quite punishing at times, at least THAT is not decayed by dying tho! Thank goodness.
    Witcheypoo

FrostII and Chatele like this.
  15. golruul

golruul Avatar

As a casual player at level 86, this is my view as well.

Equipment damage is much more of a concern to me when dying.

16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The most i hear of people losing is about 500k (the most extreme leveled people) ands its because they GM+ everything, and they are the strongest cuz they can tweak decks to adjust for everything and be still gm across thier deck.

But given those extremes, i also hear people say things like “i only have 7 million in my pool ima go grind a bit”, and from what ive heard it seems folks at those levels keep at least a standard 12 million pooled xp.

I myself hang out in tier 4-5 areas (i can handle tier 10+) and play music most of the time and still manage to have close to 2 mil xp pooled at adv lvl 95 while dying pretty much any time i go somewhere and lose maybe 60k and dont even really notice. So im not one of the people that think decay is a big deal. Its just enough to make me wanna not die if i can help it.

17. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

I remember dying in EverQuest. Spend weeks getting a sliver on the XP bar, take one death, lose it all and more. So much pain.
    I don't miss those days at all.

I've leveled up my combat skills to 80 and stopped. Most of the skills I commonly use are at 80. Once I get the rest of the ones I use to 80, I have a decision to make as to where to go next.
    (Adv Level 80, ATM).

18. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

There need to be some kind of penalty to dying, period.

I prefer losing XP over losing items :)

19. mass

mass Avatar

Well, right. The folks taking skills over 120 are hitting the soft cap and this is supposed reign them in a bit. If there's a better way psychologically to reign in runaway progression, I'm all for it, but it will amount to something similar: at some point you will receive substantially diminishing gains irrespective of time spent so that the power gap between 12 hour a day players and 2 hour a day players closes over a long enough time period. The alternatives are hard caps, or such diminishing returns on level gain that there is little incentive to continue leveling (which we are also close to having at some point).

Jason_M, Sean Silverfoot and Elwyn like this.
  20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Agree its a game and I'm immortal, I like to take risks and challenges.

Elwyn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.