Fishing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2112Starman, Sep 17, 2018.

?

Whats your opinon on fishing

1. Yes, they should devote a ton of valuable resources on more fishing in SOTA

50.0%
  2. No, there are vastly more important things these resources should be spent on.

50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Whats your opinion on fishing:

Cordelayne likes this.
  2. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

At the risk of getting yelled at I voted No. ;)

The reason for this is simply due to my belief that the focus of the game should be geared towards finishing Episode 1. To my knowledge, fishing isn't broken or buggy currently right? If this is the case, can't upgrades to fishing wait until after all the other bugs and broken quests are fixed? I mean no disrespect to my fellow fish loving Avatars, this is just my humble opinion FWIW. :D

3. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

i would vote for but can‘t:
    Yes, they should devote some of valuable resources on more fishing in SotA

Alpha Fishstick and majoria70 like this.
  4. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Hard vote. I love fishing. But I did voted more important things first. As I am scared that all development time now will be going to expanding fishing. While I would prefer more mid/end game content. NPC Dungeon content.

Verit likes this.
  5. Dyonisys

Dyonisys Avatar

Everything should be in sota but it requires some time... I think their is other issue that need love before this. Fishing can wait a little longer to be polish! But needs to be done when it's time too!

Verit likes this.
  6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well it's more than fishing this upgrade effects. Water is finally getting upgraded. It is about the big picture. It was never all about fishing. This update prepares the game for the future too and hopefully the devs are taking advantage of the time spent to consider this And making use of the water upgrade to think ahead to the future of the boating feature. Am I the only one looking to the future too of very popular features? Fishing is one the gateways and pathways.

I am not by any means someone who just stands around fishing in this game. Anyone who thinks that does not know me one little bit. I play all of this sandbox game and wish for the best for every single part of this game. This is a rediculous thread. This is not an either or situation.

What if because of this conversation we stop progress on one system? What if that happens on every single one of them?

The foundation of the fishing system is having to think about our water system. Truly can you guys not see this? Because of conversations like this the game has been pushed and pulled in so many directions and things don't get finished.

I'm ashamed of this community if they don't look to the big picture for this game. Every system should be completed and make a difference to the big picture and the over all view of this game people get.

This thread makes me very sad. 3 fish is not ok either.

Ok I'm out of here and really disappointed. Fishing update is going to happen. Get over it.

How much advantage devs take in the opportunity to upgrading water at the same time is only something I can hope for with all my heart. I am tired of the excuses. Nothing is not getting done over this update. Imo it is part of the progression of this game. Let's get it done right.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  7. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

I am unlikely to spend much time fishing but voted yes. Almost every feature in the game will have some people to whom its a waste of time (for me any dev time spent on PvP features is a complete waste of time for example). However, if we go down that road the game won't have many features :)

8. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I like fishing.

Alpha Fishstick and Floors like this.
  9. Keldorn of the Vale

Keldorn of the Vale Avatar

Fishing should be done to a WoW or UO extent, period. This is not second life.

Alpha Fishstick and Cordelayne like this.
  10. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

No one ever purchased an MMO for it's fishing system...... Just saying.

11. Floors

Floors Avatar

Fishing is important; it adds something to do for those of us that already completed episode 1. Also it seems like it will add a fun dimension into the game, a reason to go back to some areas and
    some fun downtime activity.

People that say the current version works fine d0n't fish, it's entirely obvious. What's currently in now hasn't been touched in like 40 releases and isn't worth anyones time.

I object to this poll for the following reason : It's worded in an overly negative way by a person that wanted to see a negative outcome. This is not a decent or proper thing to do, if you want to make a poll, don't "load" the responses to get the answers you want.

"they should devote a ton of valuable resources"

they're devoting a small amount of development to enhance a system that's barely been touched. Where was the outrage when they spend time on aether creatures that nobody asked for or half the livestream awards junk ?

If you're not interested in fishing, don't fish. But don't ruin it for those of us that do want it just because you're not interested.

12. Floors

Floors Avatar

There are also people that spend 4.5 hours in this game and conclude it's not worthwhile.

That doesn't mean we should start catering to people like that.

This is NOT an either / or thing !!!

Nobody is saying fishing will delay fixing the quest stuff or PMD or any of the upcoming new stuff for Ep 2.

It's just something long overdue.

13. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

They have been "fixing" the other stuff for four years. Fishing was promised 3 or 4 times for the next release then struck from the notes. So it should be almost done or not too hard to implement.... riggggghhht?

Maybe the fish is just to big for the box, even though 90% of the fish fits into the last 20% of the box.

All of the harvesting systems could use more complexity, thus making the economy more robust.

People buy and play MMO's for various reasons, they usually expect the main systems to be in place at release.

I'm not expecting all available resources devoted to fishing, but incremental improvement, yes. All systems need and should get love .

14. Derium

Derium Avatar

Fishing in UO is actually pretty in depth now. Compared to WoW at least. You can spend all day fishing and actually not get bored.

Alpha Fishstick likes this.
  15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

@2112Starman

You care so much about this topic and saying the planned fishing update serves nothing for this game or at least you ask the question of opinions if that is the case. Why do you care so much then to start a thread like this on a planned update?

No one said this is a fishing game, they just said they were going to update it which is already in progress.

During the livestream it was made clear that taking a look at the water in the game because of this update showed devs that water was sadly in need of an update which they may have not gotten around to if not for this update. Those who want boating later should be thankful for this investigation at least. At least when boating comes in the water in the game will have been already investigated for potential future plans. Now when asked how the water will work for boating later perhaps they have a better idea. @DarkStarr can you answer this? Please say water investigations have given you a better idea for plans of boating for the future.

This game is more than one thing trying to be a something for everyone and yes that is a tall order. Combat related things are some players only interest and perhaps some of you only play mostly that part of it but still the rest of the game does exist and needs to be a full featured game having a raid system included in this. We are missing this capability. For some the fact that it is more than just a combat game and resources are stretched out over the other systems of the game may be a no brainer of this game is not for them but for some of us this game is our virtual home to play in and create in and yes to battle in and quest in as well.

So what's up with this if you care so much? Imagine in our dungeons because of this update we will be able to have fishing quests of our own for those who don't want an all combat dungeon. At one time I was approached by someone who asked me to come up with a fishing event. I could not do it. The system was way too bare bones for anything to use. They were surprised when I said I could not do it because of how basic the fishing system is with no fish weights, fish lore, no bait, and fish lore. This is just one aspect of the game but imo all of them are important to make a better experience for players. Let none be left behind. Why must we play this game trying to make another either or conversation? Truly.

"I lose 600K XP now which is almost a good hour with atten. But Im quitting the game so I really dont care now, this boat has sailed for me. But, the key is this dev group should be listening to this. This death tax is probably 15% of the reason Im leaving (so its important)"

2112Starman

And really I don't know why I bothered to come back in to respond to this. Anyone can make a mockery of me caring about this game and caring about every single part of this game since 2013. Perhaps I am foolish to fight these battles for each and every system this game has well if you look at my history since 2013. It has definitely not been all about fishing. Sometimes I don't know why I bother.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Agree, loaded questions in the poll.

Give fishing its due, it stands to keep a lot of people entertained for a lot of time if done right.

17. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Fishing? Bah.

1 fish type. Rod. Percentage to hook fish. Job done.

18. dayero

dayero Avatar

Even if you ignore the wording, this is a really horrible poll. Fishing improvements have been announced three month ago and have been in the making likely for several month too. So basically it's a poll about what should happen in the past.

I'll be the first to smack the devs on the head if they announce any futher new systems before finishing the existing ones - like fishing, lol - in the next quarterly plan. But complaining about past priorities is very much pointless.

19. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

Fishing is very important! Many of us are sitting back wanting to see that Port is going to do a good job on the existing systems and flesh them out. If a good job is done, then that builds confidence, and helps the game go.

Fishing is not the only thing needing a good job done, but it is a great step in the right direction.

This is a horrible poll, and a very misguided and mean thread.

20. Floors

Floors Avatar

That's just not true. 4 years ago was 2014. This game had been in development - from nothing - for about a year and was basically a tech demo, if that. Fishing was pretty much similar to how it is now, except without loot tables mainly, back then. a fishing rod existed and you could catch with worms. This is one of the fundamental misunderstandings about the game - the open development period - people count the development as if the game was finished and relased in 2014 and had things in place -just because we had early access that other games don't provide. And that since then things have been being "fixed"... No - AFAIC, this game was released in March 2018 and wasn't complete before then. In fact, it's gotten quite a bit better since then so you could argue that it's only really just playable now.

From the last update, it sounded more to me like they'd just had a design session about how to make fishing a real system of the game and were presenting their results and about to implement it, in order to make more use of heretofore useless components and to allow contests and use in recipies, which all enhance loot in the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.