I want to play again!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hratch, Sep 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hratch

Hratch Avatar

I got this game in 2014. I played it for a little over a year, but my computer crashed and life got very busy for me these last two years. Now I'd like to get back into it.
    I just want to be reminded how I can download this game again. Also, if someone can briefly fill me in on what has changed these last two years, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Hratch

2. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

So you can download the game either on your account page or on Steam if you linked your account to Steam back in the days.
    And changed? In two years? Uh. A lot ^^?

Oh and welcome back.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  3. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Yes, a lot has changed... It's persistent now, so your chr isn't wiped... There are new releases at the last Thursday of each month, new content being added every month... About a week after on a Friday, they have a Livestream about that release, watch the announcement page... Other Fridays have other topics... There's a voluntary $9 subscription which will give you access to all the cool giveaways from the Livestream, check your bank to claim them... And yes, just download the client from either your account page here or steam, no need to purchase again, use your credentials from the web page to login...

Advice: Talk to all the NPCs, if they attack you, kill'm... When creating your chr you can try each out to see which skill set it gives out of the gate, the quests will give you exp and gold so do them, it will send you to other areas, so check you journal, there's a map system too, press M when in the scene... Keep coming back here to ask question, just play the game like an "Ultima" game...

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome back @Hratch. There are way too many things changed and added to even consider telling you. It would take pages and pages. Since the first years of making the game was spent adding the game world and bare system mechanics the last two years and especially the last year has been on adding so much.

So from this forum page you can click on the home key and go to the home page and click on account in the upper right hand then chose the game client tab and choose your client.

I am playing on windows 10 client. I personally don't play on the steam client but that is a personal opinion. If you have a property pledge consider not linking to steam. I personally am sorry I did do that.

I am Majoria in the game please add me to your friends list and I'll be happy to help any time.

Lots of changes are about to happen still. Teleporting in the game is getting a big change for one thing. I just don't think we can tell you anything briefly or I would but here are a few things I can think of:

The overworld map has under-gone many updates and is really beautiful. Recent change was to let us not have to go through the passes to progress on the map fighting sometimes horrible battle. You now don't have to enter if you don't wish to.

Point at scene names on the overworld map and it gives a description of what is in them. It is a good way to see before you enter to save your self extra loading screens.

Pots have many advantages to stop into even such as getting blessings that give 10 hour buffs if you jump in their waters or Oracle visits which give 500 gold a day if you take her test.

We can have more than one window showing everything. You can drag a tab out and make one a conversation only tab by resizing the windows and placing side by side. The blue gear can be used to uncheck all but conversation things on one to make it so you don't miss whispers. Whispers you get make a sound now.

We got looking for group now. It is under the Alt F.

We got a music system and we can sync music in groups and we also got sheet music. we can make and give or sell sheet music to players if we have the abc files. I have a music vendor for example but I also give away lots of music. We have many instruments and we just got a pipe organ which is awesome.

We are just now getting some player dungeons to make but much more is getting added to this

R58 in two weeks is the first fishing update. Yay now we will have more than 3 types of fish and much more.

We have gotten tons of emotes of all kinds of course.

We have also gotten tons of deco etc and you now get a free taxed row lot deed after completing all main questlines.

We got a tenant rental system in the game. If you need a free room I am happy to offer one to anyone.

We got unicorns and reapers and many many more different types of mobs.

Ok so there is a bunch more but this is a few things. My brain is sleepy atm so that is all that I got out of it. *cheers* and have fun.

**** pots= player owned towns.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    Witcheypoo and Chatele like this.
  5. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

Welcome back to the game.

So much has changed, it can't be summarized in short. Best would be to find some old friends or new guild and let them show you. The release notes are also a good source to see how things have been developing.

I'm sure you'll quickly find back into the game. While some things in the game are still far from self-explanatory, much has gotten significantly more intuitive.

6. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

if you want a fresh start, you can put all your belongings in your bank, mail yourself your money, and delete your char. the bank and mailbox will carry over to your new one, as well as any lot placements you have (though those would have timed out by now)

Rentier, Feeyo and Jaesun like this.
  7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Lol! Oh man.... it's a brand new game, start from there. And welcome back! Glad you have a working computer.

8. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Welcome back! As others have indicated, there have been too many changes to list them all. There are a few things worthy of mention however that immediately spring to my mind when I think back to 2014.

First, the world has expanded. Back in 2014 the Hidden Vale was the center of gameplay, and there were a only few scenes in the continent of Novia accessible through the Lunar Rift, like the Graff Gem Mine. Now the Hidden Vale is merely a small island off the main continent, and it is no longer a starting point for new players. You can reach the Hidden Vale by Lunar Rift or by taking a boat from Central Brittany. You can find the world map at https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/map/. You access maps in-game by pressing the m key.

When you first arrive in the game, you appear on The Isle of Storms and meet Arabella, the wife of Lord British. She sends you to the Oracle where you take a "test" and then enter a Lunar Rift to travel to Novia. If you answer the Oracle's questions truthfully, you start out with magic skills and are sent to the starting area of Blood River to embark on the Path of Truth. If you answer the Oracle's questions courageously, you start out with fighter skills and are sent to the starting area of Highvale to embark on the Path of Courage. If you answer the Oracle's questions lovingly, you start out with archery skills and are sent to the starting area of Solace Bridge to embark on the Path of Love. The skills are so low-level and you can easily visit an adventurer trainer and learn new and different skills at that point. You are in no way obliged to keep training your original skillset. It is extremely easy to raise any skills to level 40, giving you basic competence. So if you start out as a mage you only need to pick up a sword and start swinging it to become proficient in blades. No matter what Path you start out on, you will want to visit the other starting areas and embark on the other two Paths before completing the first one. You will meet Arabella again and she tells you where to go.

The quest system isn't as good as it should be. The devs have acknowledged this and announced that they will be changing the quest architecture, but I expect this to happen for Episode 2 of the game.

I have to cut this short but I could write reams if I had the time...

9. Kaffien

Kaffien Avatar

Blue Rose Isle, Crafters Town, Black Rock Cove
    Welcome back!

10. Gyzarus

Gyzarus Avatar

I don't mind offering my online live stream guide, tune in to twitch.Tv/alphaine if you see me on just give me a beep, in game name is Alphaine Nine. And welcome back to Shroud of the Avatar

11. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

12. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

13. Mobidoy Querrent

Mobidoy Querrent Avatar

If you need help with anything: Mobidoy Querrent at your service !

14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

In 2 years: @Hratch

Lots more deco and rares and houses
    Many scenes are visually unique and contain mysteries to solve and a few have long duration buffs for solving them.

Tons of skill balancing, most impactful is Specializations. Can specialize in a skill tree to gain additional effects on skills and for many spell trees, some ability to penetrate magic resistances

The story questlines are complete and there are many side quests.

Huge newbie starting zones immediately following the tutorial zones.

Crafting masterwork and enchant no longer blows up the item, but instead just lowers durability upon failure.

Many new potions were added and made cheaper to craft, including various poison types and rare potions made from parts deopped from rare creatures.

Devotionals that give 8 hour buffs placable in towns.

Several New music instruments

XP per hour is capped at 1 million globally so they added several scenes with multiple waves of encounters in some spots. And some control points are very rapid very high level spawns.

You arent required to enter control points to pass through them anymore.

Load times have DRASTICALLY improved.

Many new artifacts. Articats are now able to be enchanted and masterworked.

etc

Chatele and Vermine like this.
  15. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

Go here: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/
    You can DL the Free Trial, then use your sign on name and password to get your character back.
    Or you can "Log In" (top right) and DL the game once you are at the next page.

16. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Enjoy while exploring the lands again, @Hratch :)

17. Floors

Floors Avatar

See, people come back. Sometimes people are not playing for reasons having nothing to do with the game. It's not all doom and gloom.

Also judging from the size of the new office, I feel more confident the current player base can keep those people employed.

Witcheypoo and Jaesun like this.
  18. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

I have not heard what the size is.

19. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

same as it ever was

20. Floors

Floors Avatar

They posted a thread about it yesterday since they moved. Looks like a typical small suite for an indie company to me.

The kind you'll be used to when working at any startup.

Unfortunately that thread got derailed into forum silliness again :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.