Why are people unloading their houses for next to nothing now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Angband, Sep 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angband

Angband Avatar

Did something bad happen in the game or development or something? Just curious why it looks like a panic sell off.

2. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

So many people have an excessive number of houses in their bank that they will never use due to kickstarter pledges etc. These houses are useless after one decides on one to live in. Housing sales are a mess right now. I wish they would make a scene full of lots so people can sell these. Picture renting a spot in the housing market scene from port. Then you could put your house on the lot, decorate it, make it look super appealing for shoppers. The sale would be for the house including all decorations. New people would get a good to go decorated house and the market for the houses would be more defined than scrolling through vendor listings. Port will get a little rent, the seller will get a little more for useless houses, and the buyer will get something that is tastefully decorated from the start.

3. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Im fire selling everything I have at half what I paid for it now (sold most of it at what I paid though and largely made my money back). I Still have several hundred things to sell. They key here is that the people selling still have a strong market of buyers, so that says a lot of good things. I just sold my Duke house yesterday.

4. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yea ive the same story, ive made a crap ton of money selling stuff early im actually at a net positive, even seedinvest turned out good sold all the perks and im up over my initial investment.

Yolo SoLive likes this.
  5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Theres a ton of people who paid for lots of houses with intent to claim land to sell when space became unavailable, and they might have given up on that seeing how much space is still available this far after launch.

I dunno tho, just speculating

StrangerDiamond likes this.
  6. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Well there is a real the game is dead feeling, im sure some people are panic selling.

7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Yea. Im just basing my theory on the folks who are selling off multiple properties.

8. yinki2

yinki2 Avatar

when you see only one famous player leaving and selling his 25 ish property and 3000 rares... it can flood the market very fast.

9. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Im here till the end... well I said that for UO also and I ended up quiting after 12 years or so lol.

That damn game is like the energizer bunny..

My personal opinion is not to sit on rares for investment reasons. The portal buisness model is based on pushing out new rares new items to sell. Rares (including houses) might be rare but there will be many items with that rare title I dont think there will be a great long term market for many of them.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  10. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

I've seen the same thing.

Speculation amongst some of my friends is with recent changes in the game some advantages with player driven economy have shifted the "balance" of economic power and some of the heavy capitalists don't like it and are selling and are on their way out.

This is purely speculation but I am noticing things as well.

Not only houses are selling but the price on tax free deeds, especially for POTs are going much cheaper than usual.

Why???

Don't care. I thank these people for making it easier for me so I can decorate my POT.

So I say to everyone else.....

Take advantage of this.

11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Is it just 1 guy?

the Lacedaemonian and Cordelayne like this.
  12. Vero

Vero Avatar

perhaps some players expect the lot's to be sold seperately in the store aswel. with lower prices then they RMT for now ;)

just like CF vendors and crafting tables?

(No clue, thinking out loud here. I did not notice a whole lot)

13. Brewton

Brewton Avatar

It's definitely a good time to buy low! I might pick a few things up with those great deals.

14. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

It's not a huge amount but it's more than one.

Get on the marketplace and look around and compare prices.

Currently as an example a player is selling a taxed city deed with two royal scepters for 675 I think.

Obsidian Tempest likes this.
  15. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

As a day trader I have learned that the best time to buy is when the market takes a big dive.
    There is always risk but that is what day trading is all about. I don't think SOTA is any different.

The only way a transaction takes place is if there are sellers that can be matched with buyers.
    That does not mean the market is dead, but only that it is active.
    It is all a matter of supply and demand.
    Right now, lots of panic supply which usually results in panic demand later.

The biggest issue I see is with Portalarium selling at a big discount on 'exclusive' and/or rare items.
    That makes the market upset and is not a wise move IMO.

In day trading, if a company purposely floods the market with it's stock, it creates panic and uncertainty.
    No one benefits from that and many are hurt.
    Portalarium has done this in the Store.
    The game does not need panic, we get enough of that in game with bugs.

16. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Awesome and well said!

17. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I'm selling a lot of house in Silverdale market below cost jus because I have duplicate houses and there are a lot of houses on the market. Its not really a fire sale but more just reflects current market. As to the comments the game is sinking that is utter BS. There are more new people and players today then a few months ago this I know as I have been adding more and more new people to my list as we new players in our guild. Only a few people are selling off their collections because of the recent changes that cost them money on their collections they were reselling which are now devalued because of the additions to the store. I'm here to play and help others and enjoy this game. Its not about making it into a stock market.

18. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

Just an observation.

There were people that thought lots for houses were gonna be scarce and bought a town thinking they were gonna be able to rule with an iron fist. Early on towns had lots of decorating rules like there was gonna be an HOA or something. And that's just not the case, towns are generally pretty empty. Town owners are actually having to work to get people to move in and that's not appealing to these dictator types. So .....

19. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

Is there a way to check my bank and inventory just for rewards? Would be interested in selling off all my telethon rewards since majority I don't use.

I have no idea what anything is worth.

20. 3devious

3devious Avatar

As long as people don't move to Rifts End and buy up all of our cheap stuff for newbies all is well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.