Why are people unloading their houses for next to nothing now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Angband, Sep 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

I have no real proof, but I would guess this a sign of the changing times. All the new QoL features, and more importantly items moving from the Add-on store exclusivity to the COTO Vendors is another. Once bundles are on the COTO vendors, now that CF Vendors are broken out and not being sold at ABSURD RL Cash Prices, the ability to make RL Dollars is fading fast. Players are cashing in $$ while they can before the prices plummet too far. Also, as it was said, a few people start selling and then the prices drop and others panic... Again all guesses, but just consider, a Village Bundle currently selling for $574 RL dollars on the store, becomes available in the game for 574 Cotos. What can you get COTO and Gold Coins on the player market for? Its going to net out for much less then $574 bucks I'll tell you that. However, COTO's will then rise, cause they will leave the economy and things will balance out again. Its all in perception and when you want to fold, stay or bet. The current trend of things being less exclusive (or perception of), and thus de-valued, is making people fold.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  2. 3devious

3devious Avatar

there is a location part of your inventory that allows you to sort and you can choose "Reward"

Cordelayne and StrangerDiamond like this.
  3. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

Thanks a bunch. I will go through and list it all for $5 each I suppose.

4. Floors

Floors Avatar

I treat this as a game and enjoyable pastime.

I don't care about having to "make all my money back" - and then still complain about things, including RMT.

I've sunk about 1000 a year into this game since 2013. And I have pretty much everything I wanted out of it.

5. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I haven't got anything I wanted out of this title but I make it a point of not making profit from it for moral reasons. It still is an amazing collective work of artists and it deserves to be treated with respect.

I also deeply honor the contribution Tracy Hickman made to the lore and story and it seems to me like a lot of people are going down on the wrong side of history according to our own story.

Trying to create panic to manipulate the markets is a big no no, even if you disagree with it.

7. Floors

Floors Avatar

Wait, how have you not gotten *ANYTHING* out of it ? Huh ? Not even the boxed set was good enough ?

8. Dulayne

Dulayne Avatar

For me with an mmo anything over 40 hours is value for money for me. I am 30x past that now, so to say it is a bonus is an understatement.

That is just me though. :)

9. 3devious

3devious Avatar

If you're out of the States it's shipping costs at worst or some of us here it's an embarrassing reminder of what never to do again at best. I want to bury mine wherever they put all of those copies of Atari 2600 VCS ET games but I think the EPA would kick my butt!
    @StrangerDiamond I wasn't trying to lower the cost of the game for those trying to get out. I'm keeping my stuff as a stern reminder to respect my money. You gotta admit that we got some entertainment even if it was at the expense of a guy riding on the good old days when we were excited to run into a game that could say "I don't know what you mean" when you try to ask an NPC for more information that they were just telling you about.

Cordelayne and bloodydragon like this.
  10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I think Starman started a market crash by selling gold for super cheap. A panic ensued among some people, who then also started selling for cheap.. No offense, it happens.

The key is to ask ones self "do I think the market will exist and if so, will it one day be higher than it is?"

If so, this is a great time to buy. We are in what is known as a "buyers market" and people can get homes and deeds right now for prices that I think are unlikely to be seen again due to their rarity in game. Once those go to someone who will use them, they won't be available again. Keep deeds, for instance.

It's speculation of course, use your own best judgement. But to me it's interesting how SotA has little events that reflect major events in the real world.

11. Crendel

Crendel Avatar

@Aldo there is a place to view all the houses, it is called Hometown on the far Northwest coast. What isnt in that town is also in sone of the template towns you can reach from the docks

12. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

At the rate In Game Gold (IGG) prices are dropping, I'm waiting for sellers to start offering to pay people to take IGG from them. :) As cheap as IGG prices are right now Id personally rather keep my gold and spend it on things in game. (Like buying cotos which I think will sky rocket in value once bundles and CFV are added to coto vendors.)

At the end of the day I enjoy playing the game a lot and I continue to be impressed by the amount of content the devs deliver month after month after month. Im here as long as the game is fun regardless of swings in the value of real money transactions.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

It's a figure of speech... I come from old school UO era, I currently do not play other games because I must work two jobs to survive and to be honest UO was probably the only MMO I really had fun in (apart from MUDs), I don't like the WoW/EQ model at all... so I had alot of hopes for SOTA to become not only a deco sandbox but an interactive sandbox, which IMO I have not gotten even with all the play options.

The boxed set I did not receive, it does look good except the ankh which I would break in 2 days with my intensely physical lifestyle/job. Is it the appointed date yet to contact support ?

Derium likes this.
  14. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Oh I have no issue at all with people who express their honest opinion... But I'm wary of those who seem to ask questions by putting the answer into it. :)

Yeah I had fun visiting POTs, getting to know old school players who were trying to fit in with the lore.

Sadly all my fun experiences found a tragic end... whole guilds I was in left without notice... less and less people roleplay... etc.

I'm a sad panda, but don't forget how extremely demanding I am of my games, having programmed 6 freeshards for over 15 years, I am pretty sure I know what UO era players love, and on that we all agree, we were ignored in the equation.

3devious likes this.
  15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

To be fair Portalarium started a panic with their undercutting for commission free vendors that still sell full price on RMT sites, it creates a perception of unfairness as some people will not know its now in the stores and buy the full price version.

But yeah, that is what I meant by creating a panic, and not respecting the artists work... once we have a RMT based game, certain rules apply and should be enforced IMO. Saying "well I'm selling fast because people need the money NOW, is a kind of sad excuse.

16. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Yes, I know. Rather was thinking that a housing marketplace with houses that are for sale up and decorated would be like a car lot. Browse till you find what you want and buy house and deco in one package or house only. This is better than traveling throughout the lands perusing vendors.

17. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

There is nothing preventing Port from selling Tax Free POT lot deeds individually (they are not exclusive items like pledge deeds), and at prices below what things are selling at today. They did it with every other item in the bundles, so....just a matter of time if you ask me. That, not any one player selling things, is what has me selling a few deeds now.

Love the game, just calling what I am seeing - I could be wrong of course.

Verit and Ben_Hroth like this.
  18. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Correct

And you have better prices.

Gloop likes this.
  19. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

They were well loved and well used deeds, so I cannot say I did not get a fair amount of value out of them - thus no need to price them unreasonably!

20. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

Ultimately it's just supply and demand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.