Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

How do you feel about the graphics thus far? (POLL: post pre-alpha release 2)

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by Doppelganger [MGT], Jan 27, 2014.

?

How do you feel about the graphics thus far? (post pre-alpha release 2)

1. I think they're outstanding!

20 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. I think they're decent enough

80 vote(s)
    38.1%
  3. I think they need improvement

91 vote(s)
    43.3%
  4. I think they're terrible

19 vote(s)
    9.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

Upon wrapping up Pre-Alpha 2, I thought I would gauge the communities feelings strictly in regards to visuals. While I think the terrain, atmosphere and housing look great so far, I feel the character models and animations could use a bit of work. For some reason the textures and shadowing seem less detailed than the environment in general. Of course this could be a direct result of the game being in such an early stage, but I am unsure of that being the case.

So what do you think? Are you enthralled with the graphics in SotA thus far, or feel there is much to be desired?

Time Lord and mhoward48 like this.
  2. monxter

monxter Avatar

Won't vote because it's a work in progress but I'll just say I'm happy with the current status. I'll vote for graphics when we see what it'll look like at release, because I know they'll be working on it quite a bit before the end of the year.

Edit: I'm sorry I'm difficult but I can't choose because I know the graphics need improvement but I'm just happy about the graphics. I'm looking forward to seeing the facial rigs etc. implemented & improved, aside with probably many things that we haven't even seen yet.

3. Doppelganger [MGT]

^ I understand where you're coming from but this poll is specifically asking about "current" graphics, at this particular stage in development!

Time Lord and licemeat like this.
  4. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

As I've said before...I think the graphics are excellent and really the only complaint I can have is the lack of character customization which is moot because it's early and they are surely working on that.

The details on the scenery and items is just amazing to me...I guess I don't really get where people are seeing so many graphical defects...I am used to games like LoTR, Vanguard, Aion, EQ2, and WoW...which all had lesser graphics than what I've seen here. I never liked the armor on my characters...I already love the armor...Can't wait to see Robes!

5. RTM

RTM Avatar

I think they need improvement but of coarse I know they will be improved because they are in the process of making the game.

6. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

Lord Vaylgar Vexsian Avatar

Dont even understand why we are doing a vote like this in a pre alpha, hopfully its just for feedback and not to start another rant about how people think the gfx are bad right now.
    I would like in a perfect world to see the gfx get better yes but if they dont the way they are now ill be very happy.

7. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I put decent, but I'm almost on the edge of excellent. When the character graphics catch up and the animations smooth out, it will be outstanding.

8. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I don't really know what my expectations should be. Aion and gw2 were very good. Can we get near that?

Basically if you have a cash shop and the crafting is more about cosmetic than stats, you need to make the characters and their gear really, really good. That's what people are paying / grinding for.

Gunga Din likes this.
  9. Doppelganger [MGT]

This whole testing process is an opportunity for the developers to gauge functionality and response to not only systems and ideas in game, but everything else as well. I well understand the game is very early in development, but that doesn't mean the community cannot give the devs feedback on everything we've seen so far. That is all this is, feedback on another aspect of the game. There is a long way to go on everything, we know that, but why not let backers discuss their opinions?

Time Lord and Valice_Belgraham like this.
  10. monxter

monxter Avatar

If you add bracket: Happy with the current status - I'll vote for that :D

TheMadHermit and Fortune\'s Foot like this.
  11. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

I would be satisfied with the graphics as is for a final release actually, though the player-character itself is still a bit raw (the face appeared too "plain", sorry I am unable to provide proper terms to the effect).

Gladly artists and coders are mostly separate lines of development, so they can both be worked on simultaneously.

Otherwise I would ask that the team focus more on gameplay systems and leave the graphics alone for the moment.

For a pre-alpha release however, what I have seen so far is fab. :)

Miracle Dragon and docdoom77 like this.
  12. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Some of the texturing in the game could use quite a bit or polishing. (anyone seen the tesla tower close up?) A lot of the assets being used are being used AS-IS directly out of the unity store.

A dev in chat mentioned that they will most likely NOT be addressing/uprezzing textures like this, citing time crunch. It doesn't make me happy, but I do understand.

However - during the same conversation, the suggestion was brought up to use crowdsourcing to polish and up-res assets. As far as I know, at the moment, that possiblity is still on the table.

13. Doppelganger [MGT]

That would be the equivalent of option two! :)

Time Lord likes this.
  14. monxter

monxter Avatar

I suppose you're right. I'll vote. :p

15. smack

smack Avatar

I think most people will end up voting "needs improvement". I suggest an additional poll to ask which specific areas need the most visual improvement:
    - environment
    - npc models
    - player models
    - houses
    - skybox
    - water
    - lighting
    etc

Perhaps allow multiple votes or force people to choose :)

16. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

What you see is what you are going to get...I don't understand why some people are so seemingly unimpressed.

In my humble opinion SoTA's graphix and game play are on par with all of the similarly priced and styled games.
    If you can name a game with better graphix and game play, I'd like to hear it!

17. Floors

Floors Avatar

I think the graphics are fine for a cross platform, MMO-style game.

There are 8th generation consoles out now that represent the state of the art. When you see games like Thief, which is coming out soon, looking the way it does, it's hard not to compare.

Although that comparison isn't fair, it's still there.

Yes, we're going to be playing that game and yes, there is a little part in everyone that wishes that a game like SoTA, on a way smaller budget,

could somehow have effects like that. SoTA will hopefully be a much deeper game, of course, and besides the point, I'm playing because RG has given me so many great experiences in the past

and if it wasn't for him I wouldn't even be into fantasy at all.

Then, there are always the people that are visual-centric. Graphics first, gameplay.... what's that... ?

Those people have been around since at least the NES came out. And since then those people constantly complain about a games graphics and they constantly have people say "It's the gameplay stupid" as a response.

So, all in all it's just something we'll have to live with.

18. Doppelganger [MGT]

^ I agree, this would be an interesting poll. From my original post, clearly I would choose player models! Looking back on it, I probably should have named the second option "I think they're good enough" rather than use the word decent. Oh well, no such thing as a perfect poll I guess lol

19. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Graphics don't make good games, design does. However, I truly enjoy the graphics in this game. I think they've done an excellent job creating a believable visual world that can capture my imagination. Of course, I have a great imagination that doesn't require a lot of hand holding so I may be better equipped to play a real role-playing game than some.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  20. da.n.ynu.tk.os.@gmail.com

da.n.ynu.tk.os.@gmail.com Avatar

considering the stage of development I am quite please with the graphics. A little bit of polish and some tweaking of animations over the next several months and it should look just fine for release.

Fortune\'s Foot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.