How to gain exp?

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by jacksweather, Sep 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacksweather

jacksweather Avatar

What's the best way to gain exp? Especially at low levels/35ish

I've been playing for about a week and have run out of exp.

How much do you gain from mobs compared to quests? Are there any other ways? Like talking to the oracle daily.

2. jacksweather

jacksweather Avatar

I'm thinking I have an inefficient combat build, so I have to fight lower level/lower exp mobs with higher level abilities using more exp than if I had an efficient combat build.
    (which doesn't make sense to me, it only makes it so more people go the most efficient build, and why have no class system then? Why not just not have the exp, and let the abilities you use level accordingly? I get some people will farm their abilities, without combat/questing, but penalizing inefficient combat builds doesn't seem like the correct deterrent to that, imo.)

I've been told several times that if you only level certain abilities you will level them faster, and that you can run out of exp if you don't do so, but it seems contradictory to the system to not level skills, because they are the skills you are using or else they wouldn't be leveling.

I have been questing and still ran out, but I am very possibly not questing efficiently. I have progressed the truth quest line to where I'm supposed to go to the crag mines by Erecter, but they have adventure level 5 and I was having a hard time at a adventure level 2 place. I did most of the quests in blood river outskirts, and a handful in Aerie. Where I used most my exp was fighting in the mines for the cloth armor of truth set (and in the scene outside the mines).

I'm thinking of doing 1 of 2 things.
    1) Starting the courage and love quests and doing all the quests in those starting areas.
    2) Whenever I finish quests in 1 area, go to a new area and find every quest I can and don't leave that area until I've done all the quests in it that I can.

But I'm thinking there must be other ways to get exp, or else how would high level players advance their skills when they're done with the main quest line?

3. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

Generally Going into tier 2 zones or below at your level will Help bank you some exp, but you should also Consider turning off Most of your skills , in order to fill your pool :)

Elwyn likes this.
  4. Beli

Beli Avatar

Sounds like you might be trying to raise to many skills at one time

Elwyn, Daxxe Diggler and Jaesun like this.
  5. jacksweather

jacksweather Avatar

Going into tier 2 zones and just killing mobs? Or going into tier 2 zones and finding quests and doing them?

6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Make sure you are not training too many skills. Typically, train 1 adventure and 1 crafting skill at a time. Turn all the rest off training. Then fight mobs that are yellow to you.

If you press the K key and see you have no xp, turn everything off training, and build up a large pool of xp.

Feeyo likes this.
  7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Go do Highvale and Highvale Outskirts completely. Then go into Resolute and get all the quests finished up there that send you to Ardoris.

Before doing the Ardoris quests, go to Solace Bridge and Solace Bridge Outskirts. Do them completely. They send you to Soltown. Do all the quests there, and a few rounds in the sewers.

Then go to Ardoris, delivering all the quests from the outskirts and Resolute. There are some side quests there as well as the main quest lines.

Go to Solania and do the mine and catacombs. They both have quests and are good for your pocket book.

Go part way down Courage and Truth, until the send you into combat areas. Then go back to Etceter and you should be able to continue on the Truth path as you see fit.

(There is also an alternate way of doing that now, but xp is your problem as well, and you are missing out by not doing the other paths before continuing Truth.)

Good luck!

jacksweather, Beli, Jaesun and 2 others like this.
  8. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

Doing the quests the above people mentioned is a greatway to get a decent chunk of Adventurer/producer exp :)

Beli likes this.
  9. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Welcome. To the game and stick with it! It's a tough learning curve for sure.

As well as running out of exp if you have to many on, you will level much more slowly.

The amount of your exp pool points allocated to each skill on use is a percentage of your pool, so the bigger the pool, the less skills training, the bigger the chunk off exp allocated to the skill on use.

Also, the percentage is reduced proportionately depending on how many skills you have training in each tree. So if you have one skill training in a tree all of the % of the pool allocated to that tree is used on that skill, if you have two skills on in that tree, half is given to each, if three, a third is allocated.. and so on.

As you can see, without carefully managing your skill pool size, tweaking which skills are on to learn, which set to maintain (will use skill pool on death penalty to maintain) and which are just left to decay, you will run out of pool and you will level slowly.

Beli likes this.
  10. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

This video explains it pretty good, he has learned me a lot when I started playing:

Beli likes this.
  11. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

Also make sure you are visiting the oracle every day for your 10k exp and 500 gold.

Beli likes this.
  12. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Doing both is a good idea.
    1. Starting the other quest paths is the correct way to do the main quests. In each quest Path (Love, Courage and Truth) you will eventually hit a brick wall at a lower level because the mobs you need to fight are too difficult, so you should start all three quests parallel to each other. When you meet Arabella after starting one Path, she even tells you to embark on the other Paths. This will raise your XP pool quite a bit.

2. The XP you get from doing quests in low level scenes can really help you when your skills are still at a low level (40 and below), but it is only a drop in the bucket once your skills are higher (nearing 80 or higher). So it makes sense to do all the beginner quests you can while your skills are still at low levels because the XP you gain will be useful to you.

The other tips in this thread are also all good ones to follow.

Beli likes this.
  13. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

As a non-skill watching/non-combat player, I thought I might address something you said that I've felt too. I have never locked my skills. Any of them. But I don't go out seeking danger for the purpose of raising my skills. I don't care that my skills raise very slowly. I figure that someday, as I get more adventurous if I ever do, they will rise. For now, my agriculture skills rise about every time I use them. Back in Old Britannia (i.e. UO), this is the way I did it. And eventually, after over 12 earth months of playing, I finally hit Grand Master Mage. It was a huge day for me and I remember it very clearly (unlike what I was planning to do five minutes ago).

So if you want things to rise slowly, do it my way. If you want to get better faster, I highly suggest you take some advice from the above folks. And do remember to check in with the Oracle daily. She gives 500gp and 1000 skill points. You will also get 10k skill points just for peeking into New Britannia daily. Earth has kept me away from New Britannia for a while now but I have over a million XP just from logging in every day.

*I* think the reason there are two ways of managing your skills is so that we have a choice. I can let them gain organically or work the system to raise them very fast.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    Beli, Adam Crow and Kara Brae like this.
  14. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Answering the Oracle test question every day rewards you with 500 gold and 1000 XP.

You do get 10,000 XP daily for logging in.

15. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

I thought this also and loved the concept. For a long time I just set what I wanted to go up and it raises as I used different decks/builds. It wasn’t slower it was just more steady as apposed to the lock everything to accumulate a massive pull them dump it all into skills at once. There were two problems that came up as you get higher in level that cold not be overlooked and required I change my tactics.

1. Decay (hopefully going away)- as your skills get higher they take more exp from your pull and eventually you hit a balance where your pool of exp starts maintaining a certain level. When they implemented decay on death unfortunately with limited play time each time I logged in and died I was hit with a negative and some days I did not have time to rebuild before logging out and getting hit again. My Poole started heading toward 0 quickly. The math will require you shut off training and maintain a certain level of exp as you raise skill. Unfortunately.

2. As your train the higher skills you will quickly realize the resource costs get astronomical (especially producer) by building a larger pool you are applying more experience per use and in essence lowering the resource cost for raising that skill.

So with those in mind eventually I did switch to a more active management of my experience pool. If they removed decay I believe I would switch back on the adventuring skills, but still actively manage for larger pools on the produce side to reduce resource costs.

Rhiannon likes this.
  16. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The death decay only effects skills that are above 40, just FYI.

jacksweather likes this.
  17. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

You have too many skills set to train. At low levels you should only level them high enough to unlock the next tier (usually 40), then set them to maintain. When a skill reaches 80, it can ravenously devour new XP faster than you can hope to earn it.

I realized the other day that this was one thing that trial mode actually hid from new players. It caps you at skill level 50 for everything, so you don't even have to worry about skills getting too high!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    Jaesun likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.