Make it fun, make it the best

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by majoria70, Sep 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blightlord Knightmare

Blightlord Knightmare Avatar

Embarrassingly I was at least 600 if not closer to 800 hours in before I realized there was a players handbook. It's not comprehensive, but there's a lot of info in there I wish I'd known before, or at least could have saved me quite a bit of effort a few times!

Witcheypoo, majoria70 and Daedwax like this.
  2. Brewton

Brewton Avatar

[​IMG] HUH?
    [​IMG]

3. disorder

disorder Avatar

It is an incredibly complex topic that Developer's have put 1000's of hours of thought into over the years, people who I like to think are a lot smarter than I am. The thing is, removing any kind of death penalty from this game would change it at a fundamental level and turn many people off who are just not into that sort of thing. It's like Blightlord Knightmare so eloquently put, for a large audience of this game, danger brings excitement. It is a feeling you can't get in every game.

There have been at least 10 well known death mechanics attempted in popular MMO's over the years, from harsh to non existent and I find it to be a very community dividing topic. Some people are turned off certain games and on to others due to this very reason. I think you can't make any kind of fundamental change like this without losing an audience.

Just my 2 cents.

Blightlord Knightmare likes this.
  4. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

WoW, that's some really big text...

1) This is very subjective because FUN is different for each of us, much like "Beauty, is in the Eyes of the beholder"... So, I'm having FUN, I don't see why ppl are complaining about FUN... If you want to state "what" would make it FUN for you, then please do, but don't just complain and not offer any examples of "what's" FUN for you or "why" it's NOT FUN for you...

I think the most common complaint about FUN is: Grinding, to build up your chr... Well, I don't know what to tell you, but every game I've played has lots of "Grind" involved with chr development... What do you want? Buy your skills? At what point do you stop? Oh yes, when you reach the "cap", then your the best, no where to go, just the best... I'm sorry to have to break this to you, but SotA is way different from any other game you've played, you were pretty much the "Best" at skill 80, if you work up to 140, you're just a miniskual better, so what was the point, really? Play SotA like all the other games you play and expect the same results, really... Are you too old to learn something new?

2) Confusing? Huh... You don't know how to play an "Ultima" style game, they don't take you by the hand, step by step, telling you what to do every step of the way, you need to stop and use that Brain of yours and figure it out... I know some of the younger generation has stopped thinking all together, and I hate puzzles that have a zillion combos, so thoses stop me dead, if it's to lead me on my way, then I'm out of the game... I usually move on without whatever it was, if I'm able...

3) MMO's are so overrated... With selective multi play, I think ppl are just fed up with "population" and are just playing with whom they want too...

4) OK, it's a game, what reason do you want? If you chose to do everything as quickly as possible, then you'll be finished, so what's your point?

5) Geezzz, what do you want? Some Uber things, just like all the others... Play until you get 10 of them, complain if it takes you forever...

6) No comment, I don't PvP, take it out of the game, I don't care...

IMO, the Devs need to stay on course, stick to the plan, add what they have thought up... And fix the Lunar Rifts, I want a mirror so I can choose where the destination leads too...

Witcheypoo, Feeyo and disorder like this.
  5. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

I can teleport you for a reasonable fee.

6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

So no ideas?

FrostII likes this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

lol it an idea thread so just ideas. If you don't understand the quotes. It's ok. They are just out of the box thinking quotes. No need to understand. I know I get carried away with too many words sometimes ;)

Cordelayne likes this.
  8. disorder

disorder Avatar

Not really, its for the Dev's to decide which option fits there vision and which brings the most players to this game, which is what it ultimately boils down to. Making everything more Casual may well bring more people to the game overall, but people like me would leave. I think its impossible to cater for everyone, a futile task. I know how I would like to see things, but as I said, I am part of a minority.

I have a lot of fun in the game and will continue to play until its not fun for me anymore :)

Witcheypoo likes this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Actually not true. So many of our ideas have been implemented throughout the years. I am not saying do their thinking for them or anything. This is an ideas thread and if you don't have any to add of your wishlist then that is fine.

Witcheypoo and FrostII like this.
  10. Dulayne

Dulayne Avatar

To be fair though you did open yourself (unintentionally) to people posting giving their two cents too. It all may seem extraneous to what you asked for, but it is also useful in a sense to give people multiple perspectives.

Not everyone can come up with ideas without that. I think the opinions should not be dismissed.

11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ok that is fair and to be honest I don't want to dismiss your thoughts on anything. I know they are important. I am not dismissing the opinions but I would prefer the ideas to be listed of course. I am funny that way. ;) So here are the questions and I've edited a little to make some more like a question.

Chris is trying to think of another reason, well perhaps it is not the reason that is the question. What is fun? Imagine a world without decay? What if it was gone tomorrow? OMG what would we do? Would this game fall apart if decay disappeared? What if you needed to go find your body or it went to the bank? or who knows?

I say no

No Decay
    No Ransom
    No death penalty

-What to put in its place for reason to try to stay alive that is fun?

-In many things we keep missing the boat to fun. We keep getting punishments which of course is not fun. Again What is fun?

-Why does a character need to be held back and slowed down other than content excuses and because we continuously try to make it even or more even? Hmmm

-It's not even in any other game why is this our reason?

-What if its not about level as much as its about skill? How to make that happen?

-What makes pvp fun in lots of other games but not this one?

-Many opportunities to have fun challenges to not die and to do the best. Such as factions, goals, title, timers to achieve or not achieve for examples. Achievements to not die. Imagine.
    The trials could have really been a trial of raids competing against each other to secure the weigh points, complete various quests, obtain the titles for kills, hold the gauntlet. In Wow I did not know my raid players on the faction I was on, well not many of them and it did not matter. What would you do differently?

-Who needs the stinkin ransom? Is that truly what it's about?

-What if kills matter and count?

-What if this game could actually track our progress on anything?

Lets just get some ideas out there to improve the fun by not having to be right but brainstorm ideas.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    Dulayne likes this.
  12. Verit

Verit Avatar

Fun and best are relative terms.
    **Caution: Relative Terms May Cause Incendiary Results**

Witcheypoo and Cordelayne like this.
  13. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

@majoria70 : I'm not sure what you want to discuss here, is it:

-Death decay?
    -PvP?

IMO, there must be some kind of penalty for dying... Running back to your body before it decays is NOT what I want... WoW did best for me, your body had a radius, which was large enough to reclaim your body and not have all the critters kill you again... You could even log out and still be able to reclaim your body next time you played... Your body showed on the map and it lead you to it, so I liked that aspect of WoW...

The challenge for me IS not to die, so health (HPs) is important, using magic to heal is important too, along with using Potions... Magic healing seems underpowered to me, and potions have too long of a cooldown, so I think these need to be adjusted so it's more Fun... But you need to be prepared...

I was also thinking that when resurrecting, instead of coming back with 100% health/focus, that it be lowered to 50% health, 0% focus, eating more food, even low level foods could give an instant boost after dying... Some foods boost focus, some boost health... Just eat 1 after another for several boosts (no cooldown after death)...

Take the skill decay out and replace it with equipment wear/tear and even breakage if you don't manage it... For players that play many hours, then the effectiveness of armor/weapon preservation skills could slowly have no effect...

For PvP do something extreme:
    -when entering a zone, you can set 8 skills to max and start out being competitive regardless of your level and original skills...
    -try different builds each time...
    -when you leave the zone you're returned to what you started with, even a new player could be competitive out of the gate, work on their PvE skills over time...
    -get rid of ransom, but replace it with some kind of tracking, maybe give the player a skull after each kill until they're overweight... Turn the skulls in and get vouchers they can be used at player vendors to buy gear... The purchaser gets the gear, the game gives seller gold (pricing is revamped and game set) or the seller gets gold cotos or something else they can select...
    -have an all time leader board every week or daily or both... Give out a cash (IGG) prize or something...

I know this is a rough draft, so safeguards need to be installed, kill a player get the skull, but only once per hour/day, stop rez killing by only allowing it to happen once or place the player outside of the zone...

That's all I got...

Guppy, Witcheypoo and majoria70 like this.
  14. Womby

Womby Avatar

Scene loads are annoying. By showing static artwork they really emphasize that a new scene is loading, leaving the player bored and frustrated. For many players this lasts well over a minute. Here are my radical suggestions:
    1. Limit all travel to either walking/running or mark/recall.
    2. When a recall is executed, instead of showing a static display while the new scene is loaded, a tiny scene that contains only particle effects is loaded (takes a couple of seconds to load because it is so tiny). That tiny scene creates the impression of magical travel while the actual target scene is loaded. (Many other games already use this trick, or similar.)
    3. For extra points, turn the tiny loading scene into some kind of mini-game (avoid celestial obstacles?) - the better your performance, the closer you land to the place you marked. Worst case, you land at the default scene entrance. Best case, you land right where you placed your mark.
    4. Do away with the world map. That will eliminate at least one scene load for each trip. (Or if you want to keep your investment, make it a special magical realm that you can only enter through specific portals, and provides the only way to access certain quest locations.)
    5. Provide players with a book to which they can add bind targets. Pre-populate it with the default entrance for each NPC town and PRT.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  15. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

What else is there?

16. Womby

Womby Avatar

Currently we have clicking on towns on the world map, lunar rifts, teleport scrolls and recall scrolls.

17. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Aside from doing away with the world map, really like your ideas @Womby . But I like the world map, I run around on it all the time, and meet people as I go. Plus it takes almost no time for me to load on an SSD.

So I guess that's the next question, for those of us with SSD's and 5 second load times, do we still do the mini game? That'd be pretty fast and might actually slow us down significantly.

18. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

It would be nice if the loading screens had something to do with what you are loading into instead of some random picture from who knows where.

19. Womby

Womby Avatar

Yeah, just a suggestion for those of us without SSDs. I guess it should be optional. Yet another selectable option.

Witcheypoo and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  20. digriz

digriz Avatar

You shouldn't be mocked for expressing your ideas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.