50,000 players a month to be profitable. So how long do we have left?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Canterbury, Sep 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Proof of this or just speculation?

Lord Stein likes this.
  2. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

I kind of agree, my view is episode 2 will be when we see an increase. Like most MMO they tend to be much better products 2 years after release than release (even the AAA ones). Then episode 3 will determine how successfully it will eventually be. Episode 3 will either explode the player base, and it will be very popular for a niche game, or it will not and this game will continue with a smaller (slowly growing) dedicated community until the end.

But all that is just my prediction based on nothing in particular. Read guess.

Spung

3. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

They developed mobile games from 2009-2013. Starr and Richard have stated in interviews on numerous occasions that the company was unsuccessful in that market and 2 months prior to Kickstarting Shroud they were on the verge of bankruptcy.

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

These posts are just getting so old....

5. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

and are pure fantasy. No one has the exact numbers, no one knows the true health of Portalarium and no one sees the future. This conjecture is wasted energy and only reflects the personal biases of the poster.

6. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

It seems to be a problem that the number of active users are not accurate. Steam can not have the real numbers. But everything seems to arrive from steam and/or reddit.
    If this numbers are really a problem Port. can show them on the webpage. How many accounts / how many are currently logged in. Also statistics are possible. Avg. game time for example.

Tila Tenderfoot likes this.
  7. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

8. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

I thought he left the game and quit?

9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Oh, Look... it's this weekend's post that the poster knows will be moderated, but also knows the moderators aren't working.
    <yawn>
    You bore me. It's just predictable and trite.

10. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

The more we meet, the more I eat! Yummy!!

3devious, Vaentorian and Kara Brae like this.
  11. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

You bore me too , obviously a waste of time, coming from you.

Xul Rasha and Sir_Hemlock like this.
  12. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Even if something is illogical there is no reason to be harsh ;)
    Especially if this is obvious ...

A lot of reviews (Amazon ...) and forum statements aren't logical.
    To be rude to others -unfortunately- will change nothing about that :(

13. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Thanks to those who took the question as just that - a question - and kicked around some ideas on both sides of the coin. Good stuff. It's the whole point of the thread.

To those of you who didn't - you do yourselves a disservice by defending one position and thinking that will get you somewhere. It won't. The bigger picture is your friend.

3devious and Sir_Hemlock like this.
  14. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Some people earn these responses through repeated behavior that just pisses people off...

15. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

I appreciate your input and concern for us. Please answer my questions.

How terrible must someone's existence be to focus on such negativity?

Come back and play or move along and find something that makes you happy. No doubt you cashed out your assets, likely for more than you paid.

Why come back to troll those you sold out?

Elwyn, K1000, Kain Darkmoor and 6 others like this.
  16. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Nice post, its my belief they should stop focusing on PvP and things like the new player made dungeon stuff and put out and fix content that targets all players and not just a select few. Id like to see some real portal made dungeons that groups can and really want to do for a change vrs the cheesy CP stuff. A rise like dungeon where you needed 4 or 5 high end players or 8 mid level players where they could spend 45 mins or so in a challenging and rewarding area. Pretty much all the dungeons are 1-3 person areas now unless you have a low level group with the exception of UT. They have spent alot of time on pvp content and its yield atm is dismal at best.

Come back to pvp and the other stuff once they have a real flow of players coming in. Also strongly consider F2P for eps 1 for everyone. They arnt selling a lot of accounts mabey they could focus on micro transadtions and the rewards program.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  17. Micmatty

Micmatty Avatar

I can't be 100% sure of this but I do remember someone mention that the first Friday of the live stream that it instantly went to 12k that would mean there is atleast 1300+ subbed to the 9 dollars a month subscription.

Elwyn, Witcheypoo, StarLord and 2 others like this.
  18. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I don't know how to answer that sort of question, as my life's pretty great. Er... how's yours? I've got nothing else to say here, sorry.

I don't know how to answer that question either as I already play the game (so how can I "come back" to it?), and as I think RMT is a pox on modern games, I won't be selling, lest I be a total hypocrite.

Again, I haven't "come back" and I haven't sold anything. See my previous answers. Do you have any questions I can actually answer, based on my experiences with Shroud? Happy to answer 'em if you do.

3devious and Jaws2 like this.
  19. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

The original question:

My guess: It runs until all the unstoppable problems caused by climate change + the chemical cesspool of modern life + the damage we've done to the planet in other ways cause people to stop playing games (and the infrastructure needed to run them starts to collapse) and start trying to figure out how to cope with monumental collapse. Like 10 years.

20. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

And yet I only have to see your name as the OP and I expect another “prophecy of doom for SotA” thread. I also thought you were one of the people who left the game and only came back to predict the downfall of Shroud. It is good to learn that I was mistaken, and it would be interesting to research how this impression came to be. I don’t have the time to do that, however, because I have to level up my carpentry skill in offline Shroud so I can craft myself a nice house.:)

Kain Darkmoor and Alley Oop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.