50,000 players a month to be profitable. So how long do we have left?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Canterbury, Sep 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Who am I to say, who earns this or that? The Oracle? ;)

2. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

No idea. It's a common situation on this forum for people to state what other people are doing, or their motivations, etc, without a scrap of evidence to hand. And unless challenged, it becomes reality.

People can go back through my posts, from my return when the game went live to experience 'launch' (possibly where someone got the idea?), to buying property in the game, etc. I've been around.

Sir_Hemlock, 3devious and Kara Brae like this.
  3. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

While some people seem to get annoyed when someone such as the OP posts a genuine query/concern based on what Portalarium have previous publically stated (and to my knowledge have never amended or retracted ?), equally annoying is the usual suspects then simply sneeringly posting that's everything is fine, there are plenty of players, LB is a genius etc etc so there's nothing to worry about at all which is simply delusional and not overly helpful.

Sir Cabirus, Xul Rasha, Mykll and 3 others like this.
  4. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

Your question ”So how long do we have left?” does seem a bit loaded and filled with doom and gloom. That probably is not helping if you want a serious discussion.

In much more recent posts, the devs have explained that the cost for keeping the game running is very low so that’s not the problem. But a smaller userbase than expected obviously means less resources for future work. However the game is in my opinion already very deep and ambitious, so the question is how long it takes to fix the stuff that need improving the most.

Kain Darkmoor and Jaesun like this.
  5. moxiepilot

moxiepilot Avatar

I just don’t understand on how the community can answer this. We don’t have access to the numbers of anything - income, expenses, debt, overhead, onetime and ongoing sales forecasts. So how can we reasonably project an accurate answer?

We can’t. Your question is more appropriately directed to Portalarium staff, and I bet they don’t tell you. It’s none of your business.

*end of discussion*

6. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

Good points. However, it's the dev who brought that information. Therefor It's a legitimate question since the information came from the staff.
    What he had to do was, to keep that info for the company but he didn't...

The discussion in not over because the devs didn't give an answer to their own statement.

MrBlight likes this.
  7. Keldorn of the Vale

Keldorn of the Vale Avatar

It is very noticeable - The population numbers in this game are significantly lower than fan-made game servers (eg, uo, EverQuest, wow freeshards, I think Meridian 59 may have more players) With the games lands designed to hold many players, it feels very empty.

bloodydragon likes this.
  8. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

A few years back I started reading your name as CantankerBury.

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I know sometimes people don't like what you post or quite get the point of it. I understand this. For me mostly I don't like speculation posts of the future of this game. Especially those that don't have anything constructive about them. And yes that is just me. ;)

The game needs funding of course but imo the Devs are not giving up. They are doing everything they need to do to secure this game is competitive as a fun option to play.

Eventually imo that is what will sell this game for those looking for a fully loaded sandbox to play in. We definitely are getting lots of things still.

And as always I hope for full featured systems or enough features with more coming later to be the case of course. Like we will need ice fishing for our frozen lakes since we used to be able to fish in them and that ability was taken away. ;) So one day here's hoping.

Yeah and I edited too many words oops ;)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    eagell likes this.
  10. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Remember that is accounts subbed, not people subbed.

11. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Calm down guys. We can disagree with others opinion but going personal does not help. Respect all points of views and we will be fine.

12. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

???? And?

13. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Just making a clarification that there is a difference between people and accounts. We just shouldn't be doing quick math and saying "XXX players / customers / avatars / whoever are subbed."

What is better for the game for numbers and making the game feel more alive? 1 person doing all of those subs, or each of those subs is a different person?

The amount of money to Portalarium is the same, but it is more than that.

And no I am not using this to bash anyone like so many posts in here have clearly done.

StarLord and Arradin like this.
  14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Yea thats what RAW is for.

Considering what that SEC thing said operating costs were versus cash on hand back in 2017, seriously, 3 months left.
    And it's seriously been 3 months left for a couple of years. Doubt anyone but port knows "how long" if even they do but they plan on 5 years at least.

No matter whether you like the game or not any estimate is just a guess (or conspiracy theory, good lord the "scam" conspiracies are rapant on reddit) and really not relevant to anyone unless your actively trying to improve the game right?

OP referred to this video

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  15. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I know we're gorgeous but you really need to accept that we've broken up and move on.

Jaesun likes this.
  16. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

There are always two sides. A couple of people invested a lot of time to create that kind of atmospheric disturbance.

To topic: no idea if it is still valid. Ask one of the seed investors when they get their updated numbers and make up your own mind *shrugs*

17. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

Yeah, no.

OP is well known for this kind of behavior, he get proven wrong and then he create a new thread (on weekends when port isnt working. ) with loaded questions just to stirr up things.

And people are obviously tired of it.

So yes i agree, good job community :)

18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Right. I feel the need to point out that this forum has a ignore function. Use it.

3devious and CarlNZ like this.
  19. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Others of us are genuinely interested in these issues not because we are trolls or doomsayers but because we enjoy the game and want it to succeed.

Unfortunately without any actual update from Port as to actual player numbers compared with what they are aiming for/need then we have a vacuum of information that's filled with speculation from both sides of the debate.

Overt Enemy, Amelli, 3devious and 2 others like this.
  20. Fungus

Fungus Avatar

This thread is just feeding the trolls / fanboi's to argue more; alas after 4 pages worth i guess it worked, move on already, Port making changes to way game works and it must be having some success from all the crying going on. Either become one of the 50k or move on and let the game run it's natural course, it needs new blood not constant sniping from either side that puts off fresh faces exploring the changes that are a positive step forward.

Cordelayne, Greyfox and Gorthyn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.