Game Lockups/Death Touch

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shadtek, Sep 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadtek

shadtek Avatar

I posted about this once before, I was describing how death touch was causing my computer to lock up.
    It became an argument over minimum requirements and EVERYONE insisted that I upgrade my PC and the problem would stop.
    Yes, while that does make the problem go away for people, the problem is still there.

So, I am running the game in 1920X1084 high rez and it runs perfectly. How many of you can run in that resolution??? Hmmm???
    I use Death Touch. I found the problem. If Steam is running in the background, then this thing will happen with Death Touch.
    IT WAS NEVER MY COMPUTER.
    Telling folks to spend their hard earned money for something so you can avoid fixing a problem is a really underhanded thing to do.
    Remember, Honesty is a Virtue.
    You know who you are.

2. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

I have to say I felt for you when you first posted your potential bug. When I read it I thought how helpful the replies might be, but was disheartened to see everyone push the issue back on the user. Everyone’s “Get a better pc. Are you playing on a potato?” mentality wasn’t helping you in any way. This game shouldn’t need a supercomputer to run. It was a real “Have you tried turning it off and then on again” meme that made me smack my forehead. I mean it was nice that people where trying to help, but they weren’t really helping beyond ‘check your specs’.

For example, has anyone tried to replicate this potential bug to see if it happens to them?

Can the OP provide any screenshots or video of the issue?

That’s the easiest way to identify if this is a real bug and then help escalate this issue to a bug ticket for the devs to look at. The OP would also be able to confirm if it’s only an isolated issue on their end or an actual game/steam clash bug.

I do get put off these forums by the ‘holiest than tho’ attitude I have found presented by some of its members. I’m not trying to have a go at anyone. I just believe that perhaps a little more kindness and a bit more of a helpful attitude would help newer players feel more welcome by the more experienced players.
    If you really care about new players coming in, and they need troubleshooting help. Your the guys that the new community really hopes to lean on for support. Please kindly think about that folks.

Also new players could help their own cause better by providing more information. Such as pc specs. What exactly happened. What steps they can do to reproduce the bug. If possible screenshots or video of the issue.

Hope OP can find some assistance.

CrandalltheFoole likes this.
  3. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

i thought the developers listened to all the whining about death being op no-one used it anymore, but you even manage to crash cause of it...

4. golruul

golruul Avatar

I don't know what the background is to this (nothing about death's touch or anything in the OP's five posts) or the OP's computer specs, but as a software developer, if someone's computer doesn't meet minimum specs for whatever the product is, then they don't get any official support. As far as I'm aware, this is pretty standard to do.

Sidenote: For me, SotA (+ death touch in particular) runs fine while running Steam.

Sorthious, Jaesun and Alley Oop like this.
  5. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

@shadtek I feel for you. I was not ridiculed for my "transparent screen" that made SOTA completely unplayable on my laptop, just ignored... except for one very kind avatar.
    Finally figured it was something related to 980M laptop cards that can be fixed (at least in the Dark Souls game), but no dev even looked into it here.
    So yes, your plight is not rare unfortunately. I hope you are able to figure out what is happening. I suggest internet searches to find similarities elsewhere. I am lucky that I have a desktop and can still play, but if the laptop was my only computer (and it meets minimum specs) then I'd be one unhappy reviewer. Peace.

Amelli likes this.
  6. shadtek

shadtek Avatar

yeah see, here we go again with minimum requirements.
    I am running max rez in 1920 by 1080 and getting around 40 frames a second, ARE YOU???
    If you don't know about the bug or what causes it, leave me alone.

7. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

My guess is that maybe you crashed once while running both steam and the game client and some data has become corrupted. Maybe you were also using death touch at the time of the first crash which was likely just a coincidence.

The solution for your problem is probably that you need to do a complete reinstall of both steam and SOTA.

Wreckognize likes this.
  8. shadtek

shadtek Avatar

That is a possibility, but I already got it covered.
    I have upgraded from win 7 to win10, full reformat. Still had the exact same problem.
    For a while, I suspected Steam, but I was getting intermittent results and could not figure it out, then I realized that I was closing steam and immediately opening Shroud, which was just as bad as leaving Steam running...
    I started closing Steam and waiting 3 minutes before running Shroud and that seems to do the trick...

jammaplaya and majoria70 like this.
  9. Jigger48

Jigger48 Avatar

I doubt its anything to do with steam itself so i would suggest you keep looking for the real problem ie try sound and video drivers first they cause about 90% of problems in games that arenot hardware related ie if its not specs of your computer then try drivers for that hardware. I know certain games with bad sound drivers can be hard to find out whats wrong as no one really thinks it can be that but it can. Also maybe that steam client running maxes out your memory or cpu so try closing some other things as well and see if that helps?

jammaplaya likes this.
  10. shadtek

shadtek Avatar

Yeah, it happened without steam since I commented here, and yeah, I thought of sound drivers, I am using the software that came with the mainboard for sound, I'll have to go see if they have an updated driver, you might be onto something. But one thing is for sure, it does have to do with death touch.
    You guys say it's nerfed? Because I like death touch, it's fast, I use it in a slot with all the fists...for up close...

11. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Well tbh I wrote a guide on low spec gameplay and you're breaking one of my cardinal rules by using death touch.

The problem is that the visual effects from the spell take up way more processor and cause abysmal lag due to you being so close to the target. Half of your screen is probably being lit up with the special effects from death touch. It's one spell that can cause me to freeze up completely as well, but in my case without crashing.

You'll have an incredibly hard time fighting ghost npcs because in certain areas you can have as many as 8 attacking you all at once, and they run up close to you and use death magic, which lags low spec machines immensely. In that situation, you could look straight up, avoiding having any spell effects on the monitor by looking straight at the roof, and you wont lag at all.

That all said, you are going to have a HELL of a time playing this game with an up-close-and-personal playstyle and I strongly recommend you adopt a mid range or long range approach instead. Also read my guide and do whatever that says too hehe.

Alternatively, if you have your heart set on using death touch, you should try to use it only on ranged mobs and keep your distance as far as you can away from it when you use death touch. You may not crash if you use it at max range. There may also be a way to increase the range of death touch with death specialization, but I can't log on atm to confirm that. Can someone please confirm whether death touch range can be increased through specialization and if so what the maximum distance is at GM?

Wreckognize and Elwyn like this.
  12. shadtek

shadtek Avatar

It is only sometimes that it happens, usually right after a patch for some reason. Otherwise, it works just fine.
    The thing about specs is, I can run whatever I want and I get good framerates too. I am WAY below the recommended specs for some games such as Overwatch, but I can still run it just fine.
    I really do not think this is a problem with my hardware specs, but I am going to check on my sound drivers for sure.

I prefer to play up close, I'm not new, at least not that new, I am adventuring level 87. Yeah it's tough, but it's not impossible. I do use archery from time to time, like the Ritual Chamber in Upper Tears but melee is so much more fun, especially once I figured out a good deck. I started as a mage! Hahaha, learned real quick that wasn't gonna cut it, but now that I have GM'ed a bunch of stuff, it's not so bad to play fyull mage.

jammaplaya likes this.
  13. shadtek

shadtek Avatar

Problem has been resolved.
    I DID NOT UPGRADE MY SYSTEM. one of the updates resolved the issue-59 maybe.
    Works fine now, but I am still angry that at least 5 people told me to upgrade my computer, insinuated that I didn't know anything, and prevented me from responding to my posts on this forum.
    Honesty is a Virtue.

Amelli likes this.
  14. shadtek

shadtek Avatar

Yeah, it was NEVER performance, it was poor code and has been resolved. I get a good frame rate.

Amelli likes this.
  15. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

Next time, if you have an issue with Steam and running any game, I would suggest turning off the Steam overlay, it has been known to have issues with various games for different reasons.

16. shadtek

shadtek Avatar

I don't use Steam. It was genuinely a problem on that side which has since been resolved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.