Are summons (elementals, phoenix, skeletons) any good?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ondar, Sep 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ondar

Ondar Avatar

I have worked hard to get my 1st elemental - earth. And it was complete disappointment. That damn beast is completely useless.

Is it worth to invest XP to get some other one? Water with some healing? Or gather super duper group to kill that Riei Firefeather? I was able to kill Xavara quite easily so maybe I can work to be able to summon fire emental too...

Perashim likes this.
  2. yinki2

yinki2 Avatar

water pet will help you a lot

3. thesometimeslurker

thesometimeslurker Avatar

I'd recommend the Air Elemental (due to it's rarely resisted damage and relatively cheap GM xp cost) and the Water Elemental (due to it's stupidly cheap GM xp cost and its heal ability).

However, if you want something to heavily invest in, I'd recommend the Undead summons. You'll need to GM the Undead summoning skills, the Death passives Undead Mastery and Mummified Undead, and you will have to use the Artifact Ancient Staff of Undeath. Here's a damage clip my Lich Fighter was able to deal with 115 Undead Mastery and the Ancient Staff of Death (My Lich had over 800 health with GM'd summoning skill + arti, and would last for almost 10 minutes thanks to 105 Mummified Undead):

[​IMG]

And this was against somethin with good Damage Resist! Against training dummies and low DR my Lich would deal 36-42 damage, with up to 86 damage crits!

Otherwise.....I'd recommend investing in the taming tree. They are just....Better in every way and worth the high investment.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  4. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

Haven't had much reason to play. However, after the announcement Taming is finally getting improvements with inspiration that sounded like it was taken from Ultima Online I'll be on much more. Pets in UO and Star Wars Galaxies were beyond end-game content. Current system feels too much like WoW, but without the variety and traits.

As a side note, I'd rather the collar be removed completely. Lower end or usually domesticated pets could be tamed through passive attempts that doesn't involve them gnawing on your face. Higher end might require some restraining or unique baits or even traps.

Perashim likes this.
  5. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Just steal **** from UO. ;)

Chemical and Vallin Tregres like this.
  6. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

Short answer is none of them are that good, except sometimes the water elemental. Doesn't mean they are completely useless, at worst they will soak up some damage that you would otherwise take.

Jason_M and Fruck like this.
  7. thesometimeslurker

thesometimeslurker Avatar

Don't forget the Undead summons, but there is waaaaaay to much investment and having to gimp yourself with a specific artifact for them to be average at best.

8. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

do yourself a favor and make a hotbar with all the elementals in it, and level them all up to 40. Earth elementals fight against sand and take little daamage... fire elems against mages, its a lot of fun to command them twice and then backstab while the enemy is busy.

THE HENDOMAN

Rentier likes this.
  9. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I'm told the Lich is the best even though he is slow. The damage done is far better than the others.

Personally I use the water elemental in the tougher scenes. I'm almost at GM with the Earth elemental also. He doesn't do tons of damage (oddly enough). However knocking a dragon to it's knees comes in handy.

I'll keep him around. If for nothing else :)

10. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Hello friends. Im wondering about the pheonix. Precious little is said about it, and it seems like it ought to be an awesome little dude. Does it confer any special benefits that distinguish it from the others?

Ondar and Chatele like this.
  11. Ondar

Ondar Avatar

That was one of my original questions too. Easy to grind skills that you need to be able to summon, but quite hard to kill to be able to learn that summon skill - hardest to actually get, no? So it is worth it assembling party to kill it?

12. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

It's worth it for the fun and accomplishment :) It looks cool too.

But no, it does nothing special and has the normal weak attack.

13. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Water elemental probably has the best utility.

14. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

I'm not a fan of any of the summons. I believe them all to be far too under powered. Even after the buffs they got. But, if you had to choose one, the water ele seems to have the most utility.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The water elemental can have a very dramatic affect on your survivability while playing solo.

16. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I just play with my Wisp Supermodel. It just stands there and looks pretty. It does have a lot of health though...

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

And it's very magic resistant. The debuffs that it casts are pretty worthless though.

Jaesun likes this.
  18. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

having played with all the pets, Id say Water elemental for solo play or group with out healer. Undead pets specifically the Lich with the right gear is pretty awesome but you have to be full necro to take advantage of that.

the rest are all about the same just a small dot.

19. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

With Episode 2 things will change ... they will get more power ;)

majoria70 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.