Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

*Poll* - Areas you would like to see graphical improvements in post R2

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by Valice Belgraham, Jan 28, 2014.

?

Areas you would like to see graphical improvments in post R2

1. Environment

24.1%
  2. Textures

25.9%
  3. Player models

84.5%
  4. Animations

69.0%
  5. Scale

20.7%
  6. User interface

32.8%
  7. Bags/inventory

25.9%
  8. Lighting

27.6%
  9. Shading

29.3%
  10. Water

20.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valice Belgraham

Valice Belgraham Avatar

I am limited to 10 poll choices. I am also including the original list of topics so you can respond with the other areas if your topic wasn't listed. Feel free to add a topic area if yours is not listed.

This thread is for development to get a clear understanding of what areas the community would like to see improvements on without having to sift through countless threads.

If you want to respond to this thread, please list your topics first, followed by any comments or responses.

environment
    textures - world
    textures - items
    player models
    npc models
    animations
    joints
    hair
    animals
    houses
    town layout
    world scale - interiors
    world scale - exteriors
    user interface
    camera control
    paper dolls
    bags/inventory
    chat window
    item scale
    item graphics
    sky - day time
    sky - night time
    lighting
    shading
    shadows
    color - more color
    color - less color
    water

Links to various post R2 graphic conversations and polls - I did my best to get the larger conversations and most relevant with the issues of graphics.

2. Valice Belgraham

Valice Belgraham Avatar

These are the extra areas I think could use some improvement.

textures - items
    npc models
    joints
    hair
    animals
    town layout
    world scale - interiors
    camera control
    paper dolls
    chat window
    item scale
    item graphics
    shadows
    color - less color

Animals seem a little stiff at times in their stances. Some colors are a little to vibrant. I feel as though the world could go with a little bit more drab on the outside because of how 3d and realistic of a feel the game is going for. If the game was a bit more cartoony/animated then the colors would be perfect.(Such as UO.)

Overall I am VERY impressed with all the hard work the staff has put into the project, and it is coming along beautifully!

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

I voted for your poll, but graphics are one of the last things I care about in a game. Am I suppose to stare at it mouth agape all day or play it? Combat and crafting function, overall economy and sense of adventure, these are the things that make great games.

Time Lord and Jivalax Azon like this.
  4. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Over all, the graphic are very good I can see an improvement over R1 everythings more clear & sharp. I'm running in "fantastic" mode and performance is great.

The player models need to be completed with many more selections to edit, female needs more than male.

The animation needs alot of work, all the animals are still very mechanical, and the grass still sways all at once everywhere.

The shadows tracking across the landscape is very cool but is way too fast and moves in steps.

The water has lots of movement but is unrealistic, there should be small waves sweeping into shore & up the beach, and rivers need to flow down stream, lilies need to seem like they are floating along with boats bobbing up/down with the waves, you should also hear the wind blowing somewhat, I see the trees swaying there should be some wind noise.

The day/night cycle should be longer, night time was dark enough when the moon hadn't risen yet, and daytime was nice and bright.

5. Maka

Maka Avatar

I know I'm probably in the majority that don't have an issue with the graphics. My feelings are based on the fact that it's still very early and they can always mass replace objects as they upgrade them. My real concern is visibility on crafting tables and in bags. There are a few items are really hard to find (torch, loom shuttle, etc) I do like the glow effect and maybe as we hover over each object in our bags those can glow too? /Shurgs

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  6. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

No option for "None"?
    They've done a fine job, and this is a premium quality game on par with the likes of Skyrim and the rest of the ESO series.

Lord Baldrith and Time Lord like this.
  7. Valice Belgraham

Valice Belgraham Avatar

Sorry, only had room for 10 options. This post/poll was intended to consolidate the many threads and comments about graphical concerns post R2. To give the development team a single resource with links to various larger discussions and feedback on the topic, for ease of navigation, with the broad subject of graphics post R2.

I agree that the team has done a fantastic job to date, as many others do as well, whom still have concerns and opinions on this topic.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I understand what you are saying friend, but there is no option for non-negative feedback, this may give the false impression of overall dis-satisfaction with the whole game itself...

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

Looking at the poll so far it seems pretty clear cut - player models and animations are the main culprits! I would agree :)

Time Lord and Valice_Belgraham like this.
  10. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Did you see the player models, bro?
    It totally gives you the feeling of the Old-Timey Action/Adventure, semi-poseable, plastic heroes of childhood.

It's gonna be awesome.;)

11. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I would amend my vote, Player models = Character models. Both player and non-player characters need some work, especially on the skin/hair.

12. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

I voted everything.

Am I nm seriously disheartened as a worker of CG day in and out, no one gives shaders, lighting and textures any up votes.

Player models? really? out of the entire screen, you see yourself maybe 1/3. Everything else is more visible. Makes no sense, but w/e

Bramagola likes this.
  13. Nuemcy

Nuemcy Avatar

I go by the theory that if you make everything in the environment spectacular, then can get away with a plain looking character (give and take on this balance in all things)

I voted lighting as well, need to get rid of some of the jarring colors and tighten that up, then shading.. then textures, animations, etc.. rinse repeat if possible

Edit: removed comments

my two cents

sgt_pEppEr and Valice Belgraham like this.
  14. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

I'm not sure where it would 'fit' in the items, but overall I would like to see things look less SHINY. It's not textures, because the underlying textures are fine. I don't think it's lighting - the overall lighting levels were okay, though maybe it's related to that. Maybe shading?

I don't know. But everything is SO SHINY right now, the whole world looks fake and plastic. It feels like playing Live Action Barbie.

Or like we've entered the Puttermans' world ;)
    [​IMG]

15. Valice Belgraham

Valice Belgraham Avatar

I'd say it fits under the needs less color category. Drab it out a little bit due to how much of a realistic life like feel they are going for. I think the bright colors and shininess goes well with a more cartoony/animated and less 3d/realistic game play style. Could all be a lighting/shading problem too, because The Witcher has a great feel to it and vibrant colors with a realistic atmosphere.

Time Lord and Doppelganger like this.
  16. Valice Belgraham

Valice Belgraham Avatar

I respect your opinions and agree with lighting and coloring. The post takes into account that the vast majority of the conversations posted, regarding graphics, since R2 deal with these exact issues that players are providing feedback to. That's primarily why I didn't add a vote for "none" because players have expressed feedback and concerns with the areas I provided in the poll.

I can understand why people who haven't been active in the threads that I linked on here would be under the impression that this topic/poll might be a bit critical, but I would recommend reading those linked threads first if someone is struggling to understand why a post like this exist.

Thanks for the feedback though. =)

Time Lord and Nuemcy like this.
  17. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

I can agree with the fact that the characters look a bit "cartoony" at this stage. I am not sure if its texture detail, shading or what it is exactly, but imo they seem a little out of place in the more realistic looking environments. The animations could also be a bit more realistic.

Time Lord and Cir like this.
  18. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

They said during kickstarter that they are going for a fable 3 color palette, so it is supposed to be bright like that.

[​IMG]

19. Valice Belgraham

Valice Belgraham Avatar

Actually, I don't think the characters or game looks cartoony at all at this point. I get the overall feel that they are going for a more realistic feel with the game elements they are creating as well. What I meant was that I believe vibrantly shiny and bright colors tend to go better with more cartoony/animated games such as UO or WoW, but if we are going for more realistic 3D over cartoony, then we need to tone down a bit of the shininess and vibrant colors and add a bit more of a drab/gritty template to colors, textures, and lighting.

Animations and character models definitely seem to be the major focal points of community concerns for the graphic debates at this time though.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Valice Belgraham

Valice Belgraham Avatar

I seem to have missed that discussion. I tried spending a ton of time in the discussions pre, during, and post kickstarter, but that one slipped past me. I would be totally fine with that as I feel that shot offers a solid representation of lighting, environment, color pallet, texture, and modeling.

I do think the sky, trees, and various textures look better in SotA then this picture of Fable 3, but the haze effect in this shot adds a good level of drab to the color palette.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.