Is there a post somewhere to build a pure mage?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chatele, Sep 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I think some of the Air Magic tree has stuns involved...

As a Pure Mage, you probably want to bring up ALL the trees and build a couple of decks that you can switch between based upon the immediate situation. You'll need slows, roots and anything that can lower resistance for certain mobs, like Obsidian Golems that are essentially highly resistant to everything...

Jaesun and Dhanas like this.
  2. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Do I need to raise Bludgeon since the wands and staves are bludgeon?

3. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

Not unless you wanna hit stuff with your stick, but the passive that gives you strength with a bludgeon equipped is nice for extra HP.

Jaesun likes this.
  4. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

Curious how you pure mages handle the prevalence of magic immune mobs, like litches? I would love to go pure magic as well, but found several mobs an issue and reagent consumption expensive over mix of melee and magic.

5. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Yea I really do not get this system, makes it hard for pure mage types...

Nelzie likes this.
  6. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I would like to know this as well....

Nelzie likes this.
  7. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

Well, you either don't kill them or kill them with something else, or kill them with someone else. There are plenty of things that are easier/possible with specific builds and impossible with others. Luckily being a pure mage doesn't exempt you from having gm archery and a alternative gear set on you or anything like that, becuase of the open skill system. That being said there are types of magic that things like aether liches aren't immune to, like high level sun.

8. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

It all about attunment and then int. Pure mage is the longest way you can walk.
    As a young mage i would suggest use a staff and bludgeon skills, just in case one encounters a mob that has more magic resistance as this one can overcome.
    Wand and shield is also possible, it is a more definsive build. It is also not a failure learning to use a shield.
    When magery becomes strong enough heigh enchanted / masterworked wands are the choice. (Sadly, staves are underpowered).

Also a pure mage has knowledge of more then one or two schools.

Aeryk, Chatele and Nelzie like this.
  9. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

Banish undead and searing ray are realy powerful vs liches.

Dragons and obsidian golem are the only mobs hard to kill for a mage.

10. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

There must be a good combo out there for a pure mage - death seems like a strong contender, paired with fire and perhaps earth?

11. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Thank you. :) I was going to link this. This fire / heal build is one of my favorite and in my mind one of the best at survivability. One can throw meteor shower in there to make it even better. I also have a death build using flurry and chaotic feedback on my page that I am very fond of to and its survivability is quite high to. :)

12. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I don't like running around a lot, makes me sea sick

13. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

The death build using flurry and chaotic feedback maybe your cup of tea then (at least for things not resistant to death magic) I am able to currently stand toe to toe with many things including the obsidian destroyer (which is an incredibly tough beast at around 31000 hit points) with no problems. :)

Dhanas likes this.
  14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

i believe if you specialize in air magic you wont run into the air-immunity. Plus it will increase the already very effective stuns.

15. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I don't want to spec in the death tree, looks too evil for me :) I roleplay my char as a special person born with special abilities, aka magic.... You know like white magic versus black magic ….

16. Fruck

Fruck Avatar

You might think that but no... Lightning is pretty much useless against all boss mobs.

Dhanas likes this.
  17. Net

Net Avatar

Not really, too many mobs are way too resistant to magic to be viable from day one. But once you have loads of xp in pool and high level it is easy to transfer to nearly pure mage playstyle.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  18. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I think then sota needs to address this, or what is the point of being a mage? In every game I have played all the playstyles, fighters, archers, mages etc all kicked arse without the need to go into other tress....

Cirsee and Fruck like this.
  19. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

I think you're confusing "kick arse" with being able to solo everything in the game with a specific set of skills, lots of builds are bad at soloing specific types of encounters. I cant solo every encounter in the game with pure melee with no heals, should they make them all weaker to melee so I can race a room before they kill me?

20. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

That's not true, there are builds good for pve solo mobs ( death and fire) builds good mostly for group ( pure healer, earth magic ) and builds mostly usefull for pvp ( ice and air, even if you can use those in pvp just as utility), depends all on what your goal is. You can do a pure mage, but you have to choose the one who fits better for your goal.

Chatele likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.