The Rise XP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crendel, Sep 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crendel

Crendel Avatar

Is it me or did they reduce the mage do in the rise?

K1000 likes this.
  2. oplek

oplek Avatar

3. Terrence Phillip

Terrence Phillip Avatar

It's not you, the XP you get from enemies (except bosses) was reduced by quite a bit. For example, mages in the rise give 4 000 XP less in R58 than in R57.

StarLord, Scanphor and Mishikal like this.
  4. Crendel

Crendel Avatar

Thank you

5. Dyonisys

Dyonisys Avatar

I was wondering : why make it always double xp to nerf the xp given by mobs after ...

6. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

The idea was to improve the loot & XP gain proportions based on the actual toughness of the mobs. So, instead of having blanket XP and loot tables across a wide range of difficulty, they reduced the gain for some of the easier mobs and turned up the gain for some of the harder mobs.

It gives a much better risk vs. reward feeling because of the change.

Net, Rentier and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  7. Terrence Phillip

Terrence Phillip Avatar

I know...

8. amarious

amarious Avatar

I wonder if that means we'll get double xp weekends again, since the xp nerfs and all. ;) j/k j/k

9. Nib

Nib Avatar

This isn't remotely accurate to what they did to the mages in the rise, they reduced the xp and made them harder.

Bigg, Hestia, Scanphor and 5 others like this.
  10. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

its a cop out honestly, they raised the Exp rate to 2x As permanent, then Make mobs harder and lower the exp some of them give..

Thwip, Beaumaris, Scanphor and 2 others like this.
  11. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Yeah this feels like reversing double XP through the back door - gone from being able to level skills Ok in the mage room and (just) hit attenuation, to from my tests last night gaining about 60% of the XP over time that I was doing the night before.

Kind of put a dampener on this release for me to be honest :( Might go join my wife checking out the new content in SWTOR

12. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

Wow, what a thread. Yes they doubled the exp across the board, of course they are going to tune it after that. After you make a broad sweeping change you have to tune things. I don't remember the dev post that said, "we found exactly the right sweet spot of exp for every zone and mob, and it just happened to be exactly double what it is now, so it will never change", can someone link me to it?

13. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

As I understand it they normalized mob toughness, loot, and exp.

Before normalization:
    • Weaker mobs might give more exp and/or more loot than tougher mobs
    • This probably happened because mobs and loot were added to the game over time by different people without checking to see how what they were adding compared to every other zone in the game
    • Result: Some locations are considered GREAT by the players (weak mobs giving good exp and/or good loot) but risk vs reward is for crap and any zone that isn't out of balance in favor of the players is totally ignored
    After normalization (If they did it right AND continue to keep the same standards going forward...)
    • Weaker mobs give less loot (No more starter zone having better loot than tier 5 zones)
    • Tougher mobs give more exp (risk vs reward is balanced)
    • "But how can the rise mages be harder AND give less exp?!?!?!"
      • I assume they were so bad out of whack that even after they increased their difficulty they were still worth too much exp.
      • I assume that in order to bring them in line with other mobs in other zones they decided to make them tougher AND worth less exp.
      • Maybe if they made them tough enough to be worth their previous exp they would be wiping the floor with players and the cries of players tears would have flooded the dungeon?
      • Maybe if they left their difficulty alone and reduced the exp to an amount appropriate for a mob of that difficulty players would REALLY be upset about how much the exp dropped?
      • Of course this is all assuming they got the normalization right...
    UPSHOT: Normalization is actually giving players what they have been asking for (better loot/exp for tougher mobs) but its upsetting when you find out that, in the big picture, the mobs you have been farming weren't really that tough and shouldn't have been that rewarding...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  14. Nib

Nib Avatar

People were asking for better loot across the boards because jars, spatulas and 1-25 gold on everything was ridiculous.

15. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

Its kind of a tough balancing act. If they just left all of the lower level stuff alone and turned everything up to 11 for the bigger mobs the flood of gold into the game would be HUGE.

As it is, I suspect they increased the flow of gold into the game by an INSANE amount.
    • I'm getting 60-80 gold from siege engineers and 400-600 gold from cabalist.
    • Before this update I was getting 15-25 gold from engineers and 15-25 gold from cabalist.
    That means the amount gold coming into the game has gone up A LOT and one of two things is going to happen
    • Inflation: If everyone can make lots of gold, then everyone will have lots of gold, so gold will be less valuable since there is soooo much of it in the game
    • More unpopular gold sinks: The devs take some action to suck gold out of the game and players arent happy because: rent went up, or crating mats cost more, or whatever
    Its a balancing act...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    Dhanas and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  16. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Wow... just wow... Was this Chris again?

The old rock-paper-scissors game... shuffle just to shuffle.

but more gold???? I just sold $7 million gold in one lot as 1/3rd the price I sold it for 6 months ago... why do we need more gold in the game?????????????????????

K1000 likes this.
  17. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

18. Nib

Nib Avatar

Same here, its a never ending game of level up and then they move the goalpost, level up some more and they move it again... and on and on. Its a cycle that will run its course real quick and push people out of the game

19. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

It was perhaps a good change but its just too late. when people farm things for months and then can't they get pissed. Why was it ok for me to farm easy mages for 12k each for 3+ months but now I can't? IN that 3 months I customized the crap out of my build to allow me to farm better. And sure, I can re-customize but I am gonna be paying decay penalties for what I did before.

Nurfing is when you rebalance mobs across the existing difficulty VS reward ratios. "Hey we have mobs that give from 10 to 12,000 experience but the 12k ones aren't always harder than the 8k ones so you normalize by assigning values across the SAME range to the mobs and maybe adjusting some of the difficulties to cover gaps. BUT BUT BUT NOW, the new range is 10 to 8,000. You haven't just normalized. YOU HAVE NURFED. A segment of the range is GONE. Please stop defending NURFS as normalization.

I haven't seen what they did to Tears if anything but given I could goto tears and steamroll and attenuate in 20 mins with a pickupgroup I really don't see the issue with 12k mages in the rise. Please adjust the difficulty of the mages so they can' be worth 12k again. That would actually be some cool team zone again.

Mishikal likes this.
  20. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

+1
    I thought the Rise was supposed to be one of the toughest dungeons in the game. I'm all for it being tough enough to be end game group content instead of a solo farming zone.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.