Balance - at what point do you stop?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dinsoo, Sep 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

It may, but it may also destroy any sense of a functioning economy.

2. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

This is not a bad idea at all. Take scenes that are already in game but not just being used by players for any number of reasons and tweak them for higher level players. I personally believe there are not enough high end zones as it is and we definitely need more for variety. The rise, UT, and Ruined keep are about it for me. and sieges for the wood and cabalist. outside of those and I don't feel the benefit of going anywhere else which leads to boring wondering what to do now because I am tired of the three or so zones at the level I need. Oh and maybe krul... :)

3. Almar

Almar Avatar

Loving the thread edits by Port. :D

4. Lady Kathleen

Lady Kathleen Avatar

I think I am missing those edits..

5. Brewton

Brewton Avatar

It's like they never even happened. Nothing to see here...move along. lol

6. Lady Kathleen

Lady Kathleen Avatar

Ohhhh you talking about how some of the posts are missing... I was thinking there was a bit less flare-up post but was not sure as I have been in many threads today..

7. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

You can tell as some posts are quoting troll posts that are not in the thread anymore :)

Brewton and Lady Kathleen like this.
  8. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Frankly it never will, its a staple of this game as well as every other MMO ever made. Believe me, this is very cyclical. But your assertion that its worse and worse is not true. Its worse for the person that get "balanced" but not the one who gets "buffed".

Best example I can give is WOW. I started that game a Warlock. Nobody played a Warlock, it was a terrible class. But, everyone rolled a rouge (they said 40% of people were rogues)because they were completely uber. For example, as equal level rogue could stealth stun lock kill me to death every time before I could even move my char. So, Wow nurfed the rouge and buffed the Warlock. 40% of the population complain about their new weaker rogue... but the 3 of us playing a Warlock (lol 3), absolutely loved it.

In SOTA you just cant chase the most uber thing at the time. The 1%'ers at lvl 120 can get into it fast and roll for a long time before its nurfed, but you as a normal player cant (because its when they see the big number shifts that they realize there is a balance issue). Stop chasing the magic carrot, it wont end up well... in any MMO.

Gaelis and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  9. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

Now you did it. I'm going to bed.

Almar likes this.
  10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Balancing is neccessary but i think some stuff is so relativly out of whack that it would be a ton harder to bring everything up to par with the best and would also build an ever increasing power gap

Blightlord Knightmare likes this.
  11. Lady Kathleen

Lady Kathleen Avatar

I never said that...

Paladin Michael, Almar and Brewton like this.
  12. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

you dont ever stop, and it can be fun!

every so often new features will be released

these features will perterb the current balances somewhat

players will adapt, the devs will adjust as is necessary for everyone's experience, and we all get infinity experiences in the game as a result

:cool:

Gaelis and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  13. Lady Kathleen

Lady Kathleen Avatar

I am sorry Apostle that at the age of 36 your life's highlights are a claim of 105k hours playtime.

At 36 my highlight was that I was teaching my 2 teenagers to be responsible gamers, among a lot of other rewarding life highlights..

I will gladly take my highlights over yours......

Best of luck to you......

14. eastbaybrat

eastbaybrat Avatar

Okay, so compared to most of you I'm still new at about 10 months. So I was working on my archery skills and was beginning to feel good about taking obsidian wolfs and some tougher stuff, then wham! It's like I lost half of my hard worked for experience plus I am getting near zero obsidian drops. So whats the use of leveling up when the same mobs move up as fast or faster than I can? Since the last game revision I've getting whacked like rank beginner instead of enjoyed the fruits of previous hard worked for progress. I like this game so I'm not leaving and I guess I'll suck it up and and do some more grinding, but hey maybe there is a better way to do this. Like the other guy said; tweezers not hammers!

15. Apostle

Apostle Avatar

Please don't be sorry Lady Kathleen, gaming is my life and strictly my only accomplishments, and all my highlights. I know for a fact none of you have played more video games than I have, the chances that one of you have and are investing time into SotA, would be astronomical. There is simply nothing else worth living for. Which brings me to why I am even posting about this, because I simply don't see the detriment of gameplay that everyone else is seeing to these recent balance changes. As I said in my deleted post, what about those people that live games and participate in "life" occasionally? Every single so-called "quality of life" change has been to make this game easier in the last two-three patches. These are all a slap in the face of gamers like me. I'm here for my own accomplishments, my own story, my own role playing experience. I'm here to be challenged, not to be gifted a game that caters to the weak. The easier this game gets, the less I care about it. Wasn't the Kickstarter about a challenge, about no yellow exclamation marks above npcs heads, about forging our own destiny? Like the original post says, when will this stop. Mmo's constantly need balancing as more content is added. I am trying to make the case that people shouldn't confuse balance with the pseudo "strength" their avatar represents.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  16. Daevin Aruth

Daevin Aruth Avatar

you jsut go aaehd and try and tsiwt my words to fit yuor cmpanolit. I drae you!

Apostle likes this.
  17. Daevin Aruth

Daevin Aruth Avatar

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Lady Kathleen likes this.
  18. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Apostle,

First you're not likely to live many more years with such excruciatingly long times spent sitting playing games. This isn't a personal attack, this is fact. Second the problem with your logic is an MMO needs many players to be both fun and successful. Do you realize and acknowledge the acronym MMO means Massive MULTI-PLAYER Online? The key word being MULTI-PLAYER.

A game such as SOTA can not succeed and the company continue to operate without MULTIPLE people both playing and more importantly PAYING. If the Developers continue to make ignorant decisions based upon your style of play the game will most certainly shut down. Salaries and expenses must be paid. You and your insane amount of time spent playing won't pay the bills. When people like myself and Lady Kathleen whom have lives outside this game stop spending money there is no more SOTA, period.

So unless you plan on coming across millions of dollars to fund this game or Lord British decides to spend millions of his own money to fund the future of this game we better continue to see EXTENSIVE Quality of Life changes and FAR FAR FAR fewer nerfs.

Now Apostle, please do yourself a favor and go for a walk. Trust me NOTHING in ANY GAME compares to a walk in a park.

19. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

[​IMG]

20. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Amen, @Greyfox ... Amen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.