Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Unplayable due to crashes in Rel1 & Rel2 :( Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by Retro, Jan 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Retro

Retro Avatar

The longest stretch of play time I was able to achieve in both releases before it crashed was about 30 minutes, once I get the first crash it will occur at a faster rate until it crashes immediately after loading.

The only way to "fix" it, is to delete everything (character + all game files) and start again, giving me another 30 minutes or so of play time before the corruption cycle begins again. (this is without picking up any objects in the game, and default settings)

I know we are in pre-pre alpha but this must be a common bug that multiple people are experiencing.

Right now I am currently playing without issues:
    • Borderlands 2
    • DayZ
    • Dota2
    • Path of Exile (I did have a BSOD in this game, fixed with this)
    • SC Hangar module
    • Talisman: Digital Edition

My release 2 crash report , couldn't find my release 1 bug report on the site...

Similar crash reports that I believe are all the same issue:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/game-loops-at-login.6655/
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/crash-0xc0000005-ntdll-dll.6589/
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...to-splash-screen-after-loading-scene-89.6588/
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/cant-move-upon-log-in-crash.6256/
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/crashed-to-desktop-entering-portal.6397/

My System info:
    Win7 64bit Sp1
    Intel i7 930 @ 2.8GHz
    12GB RAM
    Radeon HD 6900 Series (latest drivers according to steam)
    Creative SB X-Fi sound card (latest drivers)
    NIC: Bigfoot Networks Killer Ethernet Controller

I feel like this guy right now...:(
    [​IMG]

2. Margard

Margard Avatar

There were problems with folks running x32 systems ... but they patched it ... I would suggest to put your system info on the thread

3. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I had no technical problems. Neither with release 1 nor release 2. Sometimes it was not possible to connect to the server - but not a single crash. And I was online many hours. But maybe it depends on the system. My system is Window 7 64 bit with 16 GB memory.

Time Lord and Mishri like this.
  4. da.n.ynu.tk.os.@gmail.com

da.n.ynu.tk.os.@gmail.com Avatar

Not a single crash here, and i left the game running for many hours, the worst i got was the auto-logout due to inactivity every now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Some of those you linked sound like they could be inventory issues (had the same inventory issue in R1).

Hmm. I have a creative x-fi fatal1ty card I could try to plug in for the R3, see if I run into your same issue. This was the one odd thing that stood out to me on your system. and then I saw you had an issue with sound in path of exile as well.

I was running windows 7 64-bit for R1 and windows 8.1 for R2. SO your OS isn't an issue. things to start investigating is other software and hardware on your system to isolate what is causing the problem. That doesn't mean there is something wrong with your hardware/software, but it might help them isolate the problem so they can address the issue.

Obviously shut down all non-essential software, update drivers, there was an issue if you were using non-standard drivers for something needing an update I believe. (Trying to remember back to R1 what it was, something about the NIC)

Retro likes this.
  6. Retro

Retro Avatar

Added the the original post and here:
    My System info:
    Win7 64bit Sp1
    Intel i7 930 @ 2.8GHz
    12GB RAM
    Radeon HD 6900 Series (latest drivers according to steam)
    Creative SB X-Fi sound card (latest drivers)
    NIC: Bigfoot Networks Killer Ethernet Controller (just added)

7. Retro

Retro Avatar

Hmm... that reminds me I do have one other non-standard piece of hardware in my system and it is related to the NIC
    I have the:
    NIC: Bigfoot Networks Killer Ethernet Controller

Thanks for the reminder and suggestions Mishri

Mishri likes this.
  8. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I know Brenton also had issues with this. He stated it seemed to crash as he walked over certain invisible seams like the bridge into Owls Head. He also had issues with the Portals and never got to Kingsport. He was running version 60 and was up to date.

I asked him to report it, but he it relying on Portalarium getting crash information, which he said they should now have a lot of. :) So I don't think you are the only one, but few have actually spoken up about it. At least that I have seen.

9. The Captain

The Captain Avatar

I had a frustrating series of crashes on my 2013 Nvidia 680 Alienware laptop on Saturday with less than 100 inventory items that I couldn't replicate on my Mac or desktop gaming PC rig. The trouble started when I started messing around with custom graphics resolutions and AA and shadows at full-screen and only vanished when I rebooted and reset back to the defaults. I'll wait to worry until we've got a graphics-optimized release.

10. vjek

vjek Avatar

The only time I've seen other players have chronic crashes or the inability to play SotA at all was related to custom NIC's, and this is the third example now.

I've gotta say, custom NIC's don't seem to be worth it. Shaving nanoseconds off at your end when transit latency is in dozens or hundreds of milliseconds, at the cost of stability/compatibility?
    Not something I would bother with, personally.

Myself, in R1/R2, zero crashes and 60fps everywhere. So far so good, in that department.

Mishri likes this.
  11. Retro

Retro Avatar

With today's motherboards I tend to agree, especially the gaming varieties, sound cards and NIC's are a complete waste if money in most cases.

However I do think it is premature to blame the NIC, I've had it for years and have not had a single incompatibility and I've played hundreds of games. (the firmware and drivers are up-to-date)

In fact, the error that I had in Path of Exile (BSOD) and this problem I'm having with SotA (Crash to desktop, ntdll.dll error) are the only consistant crashes that I've had since building the system, and PoE is fixed, besides this piece of software the system has been rock solid, hence bad luck Brian...

For R3 I will remove the NIC first, then the sound card, to see if that fixes the issue.

Personally I think it seems like a video related memory leak, but I have no proof and people responding in my original bug report had both Nvidia and AMD cards.

Does anyone have a link to these posts with people having crashes related to NIC's? Do you remember what NIC was causing the problem?

Thanks

12. vjek

vjek Avatar

It was a ... something something killer something. :) *searches*

here we go.

"
    BurningToad said:
    ... Chris had some proprietary-type network drivers on his machine "Killer NIC" and after he uninstalled ....​
    Dammit! I also have KillerNIC card (e2200) with it's own driver & software :D and after reinstalling the driver I can login successfully!

Thanks for the help!!! :)
    "

Retro and Mishri like this.
  13. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Yep, was causing connection issues, not crashes, but you never know with a rarely seen/used NIC you might be having an issue. Hopefully the dev's can tell if that is an issue or not.

14. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

Umbrae is correct, I constantly crashed.

Never saw night, and never saw Kingsport. I submitted a bug report and mentioned that I didn't see it creating the crash directories and log files that it did previously. But I don't know.. I kept trying so I'm sure if it submitted they have about 40 or 50 from me. I figured if it still does it in r3, ill try troubleshooting things, but until r4 I'm not stressing too much :)

I can play fallout/skyrim/diablo 3, etc. etc. @ 1980 will all settings on and get full fps, so I'm not too worried at this point like I said. *shrug*

It did seem like it would always crash when I made a transition, I have no idea wether there is such a thing in the engine - but for example, leaving owls head going back across original bridge into starting area where I first placed my knights house would almost always crash. Or going from inner city to city proper? or whatever you want to call it. Could be totally unrelated though. And the Portal was the portal of dooooooooommmm... it would say saving then loading and crash. Then when I restarted I would restart in the portal and be in an infinite loop unless I deleted the character and started over. But that jut let me come up with creative new names for my character ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.