Is Global Chat a bad thing? POLL ADDED

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Brian4, Sep 28, 2018.

?

Would you Like a Global chat Channel?

1. yes

68 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. no

45 vote(s)
    36.3%
  3. Does not bother me

11 vote(s)
    8.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

I disagree Alleine: I don't play a game to see spam ads - I get that in the real world. I also don't play to see PVP-E-peen constantly. IN UO - Global chat had channels with a separate area for PVP... but inevitably, they came out of the PVP area to advertise their greatness to everyone via smacktalk, etc. Sorry - that's not what I am here for and it is a chunk of what drove me away from UO.

2. Lained

Lained Avatar

Yes, though small in number and don't require moderation.

3. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

So in your case just turn it off. I've mentioned several times, along with others that it would be a toggle like all other chats are now.

This is an argument I use in all broadcasting: Just because the individual does not like the content, does not mean the rest of us must be disallowed access to the content.

The power to censor should be within the individual's ability, not the broadcaster or governing body.

Edit to add: yeah it's a video game and we're not talking about human rights lol. But it seemed to fit.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  4. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Sure - just like you used to spam everyone's discord channels with ads... and might still do. You take an intentional act to intrude and tell me it's my fault?

I can block a robo-call - but they're just coming right back in on another spoofed number. No - to me it is a system issue and a system that is not needed. So - we're back to the debate then of why my funds donated to the game are used for a system I'll never use? that's a waste to me.

Alley Oop and Cordelayne like this.
  5. Alleine Dragonfyre

I apologize if I annoy anyone. I will stop, completely. However, I'll say that a single message, once a week is hardly spam. Since you say it is, I'm done.

Also, your robo-call argument is a fallacy because there would be only one global chat with no possibility of spoofing it just to get you. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    Witcheypoo likes this.
  6. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I'm not a huge fan of permanent global chat due to its spam potential. It takes human resources to moderate that, and it might not be the best use of funds right now.

Another idea though would be to let players purchase temporary global chat orbs that expire each month. Perhaps it could come with a subscription. Something like that. Maybe it would be a control of sorts.

Witcheypoo and Steevodeevo like this.
  7. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Yep robocalls is built upon a broken system. Everyone disconnect your land lines and turn in your cell phones!

Witcheypoo likes this.
  8. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

i wouldnt mind global chat...but we have enough chat chat tat tat windows and key clicks as it is.....local/zone, guild...yadayada. Half the time i see someone passing i am in the wrong chat and cant change to zone or local fast enough if i am in guild chat....is annoying. Meet folks on the road and i cant say hi cause of the chat windows. And dont get me started on emotes.

Elrond likes this.
  9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I appreciate the reminders.

10. Sher Shadowleaf

Sher Shadowleaf Avatar

I like the reminders, too. Even when I'm away, I scroll back to see what whispers I missed. I don't always go to the events if I've already made plans, but it does help me know what is going on. I'm terrible with keeping up on social things posted on the forums.

11. Jackrabbit

Jackrabbit Avatar

Obviously 'not'

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  12. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

Have you read some of the comments people make on this forum?
    I don't want that in my chat box as well.

13. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Have you seen the crazy stuff people post on your internet ? I bet you wont give up your net connection just for that..oh wait its not your internet just as a global chat wont be your chat . You can choose to be a part of it or not, or choose to ignore, close, not read or watch. Just because people like to spam or say wierd thing doesnt mean it should be denied for everyone ..its a lame argument.

14. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Feel free to spam me any time Alleine..i get lots of pms from people organising different events and i dont mind if they msg me about them...most i dont have time to attend but some i do...its how i got to see my first wedding in sota...and other stuff.

15. Dulayne

Dulayne Avatar

That is quite a selfish statement to make in honesty. If the discord owners do not stop people from promoting their stuff, then there is no issue.

Anyone for instance is more than welcome to come to my discord and promote their stuff, in fact it is encouraged. The discord communities want their places to be active hubs and it is part of the culture to share our stuff around.

@Alleine Dragonfyre carry on as you are. If people do not like it they can mute notifications. Like you said it is down to the user(s) to control what they do or do not see.

16. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Joining in a conversation, etc. is one thing, but spam is something else.

And no - it's not selfish to ask folk not to put flyers on your door... or on your car windshield when you are at the store, etc. I will say "Thank you" to Alleine for respectfully stopping on our server when asked.

17. Alleine Dragonfyre

What's your Discord server and are you the admin? And given the fact that I have had about 6 people tell me not to stop, VS you, I will not be stopping but I will, of course, if you have authority on your Discord server to make those requests or if the person who is the admin asks me directly to stop. So far I've had ZERO complaints about it until now. And, again, this is one message, once per week.

Also, all your examples are ones that you have NO control over. You have total control over seeing a particular chat channel or blocking specific people. Again, your argument is a fallacy.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  18. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

I do like the idea of a global chat, I cannot understand why a new comer have to buy a royal orb for talk in a chat where just a few ppl can join in. Most of the game have a global chat, and if the community is wealthy, it doesn't need moderation too. Since there are many POTs, istanced zone, and different modes to play ( multiplayer, friend, private) it's hard to meet other ppl in a chat, and if you need to ask something you have to use discord, an external software which not everyone like to use while playing a game. A game should take people as much as possible into the game, not force players to use external softwares.
    Like in other games, you can restrict the global chat just to the ones who bought the game, trials accounts cannot accede, and you can accede after a certain adventuring lvl, like 30 for example, so just people that atleast played a bit can access the game, and avoid to create account just for spamming advertise in general chat. About RMT you can just ban from the chat the ones who talk about it, excatly like it happens on discord when someone try to advertise his RMT post, and don't allow to post links in that chat.

If we continue to favour the elite and exclude the normal players ( the more numerous) sota's player base will be always low, because it appear like a game that favour the elites and discriminates the ones who haven't those privileges. Low player base means less fun for everyone, less money for Port, and a big drop of prices of the "exclusive items" that some original backers love too much, so everyone of us lose something for the favour of the elitism.

@Boo Ladedada why don't you open a poll in this tread so you can value how many ppl would like this?

19. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

You did stop when asked on ours which is respected. As to my arguments - it's the same thing - a matter of respect. I should not have to clean up a mess someone else makes in my yard... or my server. Global chat is a mistake and that's been proven in oh so many games from UO on unless you want to increase Portalarium's payroll to hire in-game moderators... at a time when they really need resources going to better places.

20. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

They can just pay some players to moderate the in game chat using COTOs or some addon store items, so they don't lose real money for it and they have a cool new feature useful for many players.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.