ghosts

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Witcheypoo, Oct 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Witcheypoo

Witcheypoo Avatar

so, ghosts are supposed to be scary right?
    They aren't.
    they are annoying HP sponges that you just have to keep hitting til they finally die. They do not scare me. they do not even bother me any more. I don't want them to be HARDER to kill, due to them being so ubiquitous. What i WOULD love for them to be is more INTERESTING. If you were to see a ghost in real life you would probably wet your pants! you would RUN in fear! right?
    Maybe give ghosts a fear ability? make you either run away or cower in fear. This would be ameliorated by having a high level of the virtue of courage! if you have a shroud with 5+ strength, you might be able to either fully or even partially negate the fear from ghosts!
    Probably another nightmare idea for the person who would have to code this spaghetti mess but, hey, worth a shot? yea, didn't think so, sae la vie!
    By the way, i love this game, have i sad that yet? yea totally addicted!
    Witcheypoo

Gorthyn and Beaumaris like this.
  2. Ataniiq

Ataniiq Avatar

Shoot I thought those were flubber people named Ghost.

3. Witcheypoo

Witcheypoo Avatar

*snort, chuckle* Nice Ataniiq.

4. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

They kinda scared me the first time I ever saw them when my level was too low.

But after that …. yeah …. gotta agree. Flubber people ….. hehe.

What would make them scarier?

Witcheypoo likes this.
  5. Witcheypoo

Witcheypoo Avatar

my idea to make them more interesting would be perhaps a fear spell that causes the Avatar to either flee or cower in fear (broken by a certain amount of damage or resistable due to courage virtue, maybe smelling salts). The other thought would be a dot they can put on you, causing you to be slower to act, icy veins, or something like that, the frosty touch of death and all that. I dunno, Im not a game dev, and probably putting these things in the game would be a nightmare for them. But ghosts are just...not interesting.
    witchey

6. shadtek

shadtek Avatar

I used to be a grave digger. When you see a ghosts, it's usually not scary because you are busy doing something and your mind tries to pass over it, in fact you will not see it unless you are in the right mindstate. Anyway, you only see them once, then they are gone. I wish that is how SotA ghosts worked! Hahaha

Get 3 or more of them on you and your going to have a bad day.

Razimus likes this.
  7. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Yeah it's a mind-state thing, most don't take that into account, trance-like-state, cool ghost story. I've seen a few shadow figures. I wouldn't want to be a grave digger.

Ghosts in the game were only scary when they were high level. The ghost in Serpent Isle was scary, probably his theme music and dialogue.

8. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

A fear mechanic could possibly be the 1 thing more annoying than the confusion mechanic. I don't disagree that some of the creatures could be more interesting, but confusion/teleporting me around (or fearing me around) just means I will avoid all areas with those mobs because it is just downright irritating and/or because these sorts of mechanics tend to get players killed through misadventure and/or stuck. Confusion-running off of ledges (especially if you get a nice HITCH in there that freezes you for a second). Indigno teleporting you into 'stuck' spots where you are trapped and essentially just screwed. Ghosts fearing players into lava or into more mobs.... just no please. I think at our current state / tech level this sort of thing will cause too many problems. Perhaps if we didn't have such a punitive death penatly such annoyances could be ignored as bad luck. With the current state of things? It would just be 1 more thing to avoid doing.

The problem I've always found with ghosts is that they're supposed to be incorporeal but like many things in this game the best way to kill them is to hit them with a weapon. Blink blink, huh? Its true, and remains as silly today as it was 3+ years ago. Surely some sort of life magic buff for 'holy weapon' or perhaps a weapon with a certain component should be needed for this - but I get that this could be seen as "impractical."

Gaelis likes this.
  9. shadtek

shadtek Avatar

Here is the time when I saw a ghost with somebody else.
    ME AND SCHOOLBOY SAW A GHOST!
    I was up in the North section of the graveyard with Schoolboy. We called him Schoolboy because he was really young, fresh out of high school and planning to leave for college in the Spring. He was one of them guys that was quiet most of the time, I think it was because he was so young and he was working with some very crude men.
    I din't like the north section. It was newer than the original graveyard and there was not very many trees.
    It was just grass with hundreds of headstones. the occasional bush or shrub planted by some family member in remembrance of a loved one. It was also where the newer tombs were, the mausoleums. when you put a body in there you had to crawl underneath the mausoleum and pull a plug. Nevermind what that is for, you don't want to know. I hated it, a dark concrete tunnel with spiders and of course you were underneath a fresh dead body.
    He also had the bright blonde hair, a pair of glasses, he truly did fit the nickname schoolboy. We all liked him, and I am sure he had gotten the name out of friendly ribbing and such as men do.
    It was cold outside, so we were taking all of the flower vases and flipping them over into the headstones. Let me explain.
    The headstones with flower vases have a hole in them so you can flip them over and put them inside the headstone. Then there is usually some kind of cover attached somehow, you slide it over, or it's under the stone...
    Underneath the headstone you have to clear a hole for the vase to fit into, and sometimes these holes fill up with gravel so you have to move the headstone and dig it out. then carefully replace the headstone.
    As a gravedigger, when you are working on the grounds and the graves, you don't have time to avoid stepping on folks graves.
    Superstitious or not, you've got to get around. The way I reconciled this was that I had permission from them because I was taking care of their graves and the cemetery. (more about this later. will be in a story about ghosts speaking to me.)
    Anyway, here we are. sliding this gravestone around on the gravel and this guy rides by on a bicycle. First, it's pretty strange to think somebody would want to be riding a bicycle in a cemetery in the winter, but even more strange than that was the bike!
    As always, I was busy, I had the headstone a couple inches off of the ground and I had to set it down without smashing my fingers, so I saw what I saw, looked away, and then looked back and it was gone.
    About that time, Schoolboy looked me directly in the face and says "did you just see that guy on one of them......" Which I replied, "yup."
    We saw a man in a black suit, with a derby hat, riding one of them bicycles with the big front tire, like from the old days. As usual we looked around, there was nowhere he could have gone.
    You only see them once.
    It was about time for lunch so we threw the shovels and stuff in the truck and headed back to the barn.
    I walked in the barn and all the guys were there, I said "Me and schoolboy saw a ghost."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.