Good way to make monsters harder?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arkah EMPstrike, Oct 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I think the damage momsters doshould be balanced around a 900 hp target, and if things need to be harder use effects and higher HP to achieve it.

Even if you make somethings HP high enough that the highest dps player cant break its regen, a group of high end players could do it (extreme example)

Itd make it easier to finda sweet spot for stuff that canbe done but is more desireable in a group

Mingo Ebonmark and Brewton like this.
  2. Witcheypoo

Witcheypoo Avatar

I feel like bosses need different effects than just massive HP pools. Like a fear mechanic that locks a person out of combat and requires somebody to cleanse them of it or maybe tossing them into something (like a cooking pot or a prison cell or something).. Maybe have stages where if you perform ONE emote they enrage and ka-whomp whoever is closest (or furthest away) and if you perform a different emote they are pacified and maybe even take more damage. Yes, i know these are probably nightmares to code but it would be more interesting than just beat on said boss til HP are exhausted and dont stand in the stupid...
    Witcheypoo

3. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Im having a hard time following the OP - could you clarify?

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I don't feel making them harder is the thing missing from our bosses exactly but so much more. I feel and agree we need bosses to have differences. A good way to make bosses more difficult is to give them random things to do that can't be planned for except when you see them charging up the affect perhaps. I would love them all to be unique and not do the exact same random effects. I love the new minion tech we are getting but soon that could be 'the' new affect as mages teleporting was and confusing us was. Some could have their own minions that do different things, some might heal some might do other effects.

Iwould like epic bosses fro us that takes time to kill and lots of planning and challenge. Imo it is absolutely boring after so many times to watch a boss do the same old same old at the same exact time and maybe I am not 100% on that and maybe they have changed it up a bit more but killing a boss in 3 -5 minutes could be fun once for a solo player but group play it is not so much. Who get's to even work their skills or do teamwork together. We don't have much of an epic boss who might put lava all over the ground that you have to jump off of, or ice, or cracks in the earth, as some ideas. I have been in boss fights for an hour or two at least and the group all had to do their part. It was challenging and satisfying well to me. Bosses imo also should have lots of hit points to have to work down. Mini Bossess would be less.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    Perashim, Phoenix007 and Witcheypoo like this.
  5. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

Like the Troll at first was and later on Chris changed his Name to ".....the broken" ? :) I liked it

6. Mingo Ebonmark

Mingo Ebonmark Avatar

I have been playing for 2months, have 650health and I got 2 shot by a dragon. So @EMPstrike idea of the damage monsters can deal, being balanced around a 900 hp target sounds good to me! The difficulty should scale by having more effects like @Witcheypoo suggested and more health, not by more damage! So I agree!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    Chatele and Witcheypoo like this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi Mingo well the dragon would kill me too and I'm Adv level 94 and been here for years. I don't try to play him solo ever. I keep my distance. He is one of the main bosses. Also when I do fight him intentionally it is with a group with all my devotional buffs, glyph buffs, food, etc on. Sorry you got 2 shotted. He is a meany ;)

Elwyn and Gaelis like this.
  8. Mingo Ebonmark

Mingo Ebonmark Avatar

I don't mind not being able to take on a dragon, It doesn't bother me that I don't have a chance in hell to take one on. However, after 2 months of play it would be fun to "dance" with the dragon for a while before fleeing instead of being 2 shot to death! lol

Elwyn, Witcheypoo and Brewton like this.
  9. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

This exactly. I am a fan of the Monster Hunter series, so I am used to being 2 shot by monsters, but what those games offer is mechanics that let you last the fight if you act accordingly. Currently, that is not the case for most bosses (and is why the Trolls are still my favorite boss, when I die, I know it's my fault.) The dragons fireball is a homing missile, if he locks on to you he will hit you, so you can only expect a decent dodge or block proc to resist some damage. It would be great if this fireball had a big AoE, but was only going in a straight line to the ground, and if you get out of the red circle, you are fine.

Mechanics like that would mean the monsters damage could be increased on those special hits, and the remaining of his normal attacks dealing around 50-150 damage. That would still require some healing upkeep, and would require you to react to his special attacks because those would have a 1 shot potential. That is my dream for boss fighting

GreyMouser Skye and Witcheypoo like this.
  10. disorder

disorder Avatar

This is not true, Dragon Fireballs are completely avoidable with the right tactics. Infact it is pretty much working like you said, except its not drawing a beam or red circles on the floor. I am a tank and I can troll people if I want by making the Fireball hit them, just for giggles..

The latest patch did make it slightly harder. I am maybe sometimes getting hit by the first fireball now.

Vero and Witcheypoo like this.
  11. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I've felt like everytime the dragon shoots fireballs at me, even if I run around like crazy, they hit me 100%, maybe it's just my luck!

12. disorder

disorder Avatar

Maybe there is some way you could move faster.... ;)

13. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Like Disorder said, solosing in this game is more about tactics and knowledge about mobs and your build, much more important than the level of your skills or adv lvl.

New bosses, or modified ones, needs more attacks, variation and mechanics. The increase of dmg or just add more health points to make pve harder is probably the worst thing you can do as designer.

Dark Souls and MH games are good examples.

Vero, majoria70, disorder and 3 others like this.
  14. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I just want to be able at adv lvl 100 to kill the dam Ferocious bears in Ulfheim without having to run from them, heal and rinse and repeat because my arrows seem to do zero dmg most the time to the point the bears ignore me and attack my pet... and not to mention, they leash back to whence they came, and come back at me at almost full health. I think this zone is bugged, I reported it, hope they fix this soon, has gotten worse since this release....

15. Floors

Floors Avatar

Then wear heavy plate and wield a wicked 2 handed blade lass !

16. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I am mainly Archer, that is all I care to be …. I have no specs in any other weapon except Ranger bow skills....

Simon LeBon likes this.
  17. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Im not a good archer, i swap to a crossbow to take on harder stuff i can kite like cabalists or garem sloe.

The only skill i have up in ranged is aimed shot because it got the job done. And as long as i have a crossbow of accuracy i dont use aimed shot.

But i like running away and flinging my camera around to pop off a shot while running.

18. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

your adventure level is not really relevant to whether you can solo things or not. it helps... just slightly but the real determining factors is what level you have each of your skills at, are the gm'd or higher or not, your build, the armor type and the stats you have on it, are you beefing up your primary stat based on the build your running ie strength for melee, int for mage, that type of thing. Just because your adventure level 100 doesn't mean you should be able to solo boss monster types.

19. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

I still want all mobs to actually use the weapon they have. What i mean is that a skeleton with a two handed sword can hit 3 people... Just like you can hit 3 skeletons with yours.
    Change the weapons to be on par and you can stop escalating the hp adding game to make them tougher.
    This does not affect solo play, just group play... But for the better in my opinion.

20. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I am gm and higher in some things in my archery tree …. I wear chest bone armor , etc ….. I really think and I know Ulfheim Ferocious Bears and maybe others in there , I don't know, are bugged, because they get stuck at certain areas and run back to where they were. When I attack them, I do zero dmg and the bear is right in front of me, nothing is blocking it's LOS, so it attacks my pet that is set on Passive. Weird, this is the only place where I have issues with these bears.... so it is ulfheim.

Arya Stoneheart likes this.
  21. Azareilia

Azareilia Avatar

To make the monsters stronger just give them some of this.....should do the trick ;)

[​IMG]

Happy Monday everyone, thought I would start the work week off with some light humor :}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.