Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Decay has indeed been removed

Discussion in 'Release 59 QA Feedback' started by Barugon, Oct 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Just killed myself in a troll encounter to test it. Now I want to know what it was replaced with?

2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Yeah, I died trying to do the Grannus Collosus crap. :oops:

Wasn’t sure what was replacing the decay.

3. mugmas

mugmas Avatar

Don't think anything yet, died in the rise, to see, and no apparent effects. Gear looked to be the same durability pre and post death and XP accumulation was the same...

Mishikal likes this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I don't think they're going to add another death mechanic; that would just be seen as another form of punishment. It will most likely be something else.

Chatele likes this.
  5. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Removed? Then I'm a bit puzzled by this from the new (excellent) bug and task log -

Task SOTA-58030 Craftable potion that blocks decay AND experience

When I read this I thought this was the trade-off they came up with.. such that if you go into a risky battle, or dungeon, or Boss fight, you can down an (expensive) potion, that stops death decay, but also prevents you gaining exp whilst active.

Senash Kasigal and Alley Oop like this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I think it was superseded:

Jaesun and Steevodeevo like this.
  7. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Not having any punishment is wrecking the game. Give us at least something...

jschoice and Jaesun like this.
  8. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Actually i think its a good change . Not everyone enjoys punishment .

9. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

Very sad that there is no risk in this game.

10. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

You die. What did you expect? There should be some sort of punishment. If it does not do anything when you die, there is no risk. No risk is BORING.

Now skill maintenance also has no purpose at all.
    Maybe the option could be only remove exp from the skills you are currently learning.
    Or some other kind of punishment.

Gear should damage when you die.
    Or lose any random items from your inventory + gold. (Non gear)

If we kill a MOB we can loot them, maybe they do the same against us when we die.

Elnoth and liz_the_wiz like this.
  11. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Im angrier than a bag full of hornets that decay has gone.. As @Feeyo says death should hurt.. I come from eq where death on a hell level especially as a class with penalties for supposed other benefits, as well as needing to do corpse run was a nightmare, and you know what? WE LOVED IT

I want a game that punishes me for being stupid and trying to take on a dragon in just my underwear with only wet string as a weapon. I want a game where I have to earn things, rather than just add time, oh there it is. None of it should be just kill stuff and it comes.. none of it..

Im so sad that the making things easy has come so soon to sota, to appease people who want now now now.. I liked the days where epics were called that cos it took epic effort.. if I wanna play sota on easy, go offline edit the file give your self mega uber skills and fancy stuff and play that.

grump.

12. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

I disagree ..dont want to be punished just because i went afk in the wrong location or just because i jumped a hill in my POT and ended up dead ..... if you want to feel you are taking a risk can always go PVP and satisfy your thirst .... Dont plan on reinventing the wheel here..theres been enough talk on the subject with hundreds of messages posted as to what impact death decay had for the game and it wasnt good . The perception alone did more damage then the actual system. Port needs to ditch ''the punishments'' and start adding activities that give the players a pleasurable experience . They already doing a great job with decay removed, global chat coming, crafting revamp and mw/enchant selection.. theyre on the right track .

13. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

There should be some sort of penalty for dying, but no penalty at all is just crazy.

By Tor, Gorthyn, Elwyn and 1 other person like this.
  14. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

For me, they are on the right track to lose me playing.. all these things take away the thing that made it a challenge and fun for me.

15. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

AFK in the wrong place? Jumped from a hill and died in your own POT? really..
    PVP is broken in this game, and besides I do not like PVP. I am a PvE player. I like to have a big risk when fighting a harder MOB. This makes the fights intense because I do not want to lose and get a death penalty. It gives you a little adrenaline shot into your brain.

The current generation players are getting too lazy, no death penalties, fights being nothing thrilling at all, and it should all be easy and fast.
    The situation now will be, a group of players going into a dungeon attacking the boss without control. The healer will not care anymore if players die. Why? Because who cares. We just resurrect, run no wait. walk... to the boss and continue the fight.
    The group will always kill the enemy as it does not matter how many times you die.

With a penalty you will as a group surrender after being wiped a few times. You will accept the fight is too hard to handle with the current levels. RISK vs REWARD.

16. SteelCore

SteelCore Avatar

If that new potions work like i think then there is still decay if you didnt consumed such a potion, nothing changed.
    If you consume such a potion you will not gain XP and the decay is removed.
    Would just be silly if the material costs to craft that potion are so high that it would have the same time sink like the actual decay.

17. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Even if it is as you say ....playing with imaginary friends is not healthy . The ''lazy players'' can bring the game back to life and some even support its further development.

So what ? Thats why its there to be killed for loot ...

FrostII and Chatele like this.
  18. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

There is no new potion, it was superseded by removing decay entirely.

FrostII likes this.
  19. SteelCore

SteelCore Avatar

20. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Personally, the idea of a penalty on death never really bothered me. I too come from a background of game playing where it was common. I can understand in the case of say, a platformer where there are tons of jumping puzzles and it's expected you die routinely why there may be no penalty, but this isn't one of those games. Even WoW has a death penalty (Heavy equipment damage/repair bill, and a timer that makes it so you essentially can't XP until it wears off).

My theoretical issue with decay (I have yet to spend enough XP in my skills to hit this problem, but I've seen others discuss it) is that there's no hard cap on the top end of the decay scale. The discussion I specifically have in mind was a player who would lose 4 million XP on their first death of the day. That would take me several days to recoup since I don't hit the XP cap (I even don't have time to play on most days). So I liked how decay scaled, but it seemed to me there needed to be a hard cap (maybe 1 million max decay for the first death, halving from there?).

I don't see equipment damage as a great solution because of the game mechanics.

liz_the_wiz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.