Forums are quiet these days

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Oct 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I remember times when I couldn't keep up with all the posting on these forums; now it seems very quiet.

Ataniiq, Derium, Jaesun and 1 other person like this.
  2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

The calm before the fishing/decay removal/open mode/global chat earthquake.

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Hopefully....

Maybe now that people don't have anything to complain about, there's just nothing to discuss.

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I know I have been quiter. A lot of missing pieces of the game I felt were missing are now being addressed and getting added in the game in the near future. Not quite everything yet but we are making very good progress. ;)

5. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Why must you poke the bear!? :oops:

6. Keldorn of the Vale

Keldorn of the Vale Avatar

Because the game has about 200 active players worldwide and dropping monthly.

7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Since you appear to be only using Steam numbers as your basis for this (we had more than 200 on Steam at one point today) I have good news! There is also a Launcher that the majority of players log in through.

Beli, Ataniiq, Jaesun and 12 others like this.
  8. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

I was wondering this as well. Maybe they're just.... satisfied?

Lots of cool stuff going on in the game including a big RP quest. Maybe people are happy? :eek:

Or maybe the parents are busy with fall stuff and will take their domestic frustrations out on us in November :p

9. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

10. Derium

Derium Avatar

That still means UO and UO private servers have a higher population than SotA. The scary part is the Steam numbers haven't leveled off yet, they are still dropping. This is also if we assume 80% don't use steam, when we know it's the other way around. I'm willing to bet anything that if steam shows 100 people logged in, then there's at best 150 people logged in.

You can get a great idea of the numbers when the server goes down and you log in right away and see the queue numbers then compare them to steam numbers. It's around the 80% mark.

Kain Darkmoor likes this.
  11. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Would you care to share your number source? And can you demonstrate the accuracy of what your client presents from the log in server?

Although some people might assume that forum moderators are fly-by-the-seat-of-their-pants despots, there are reasons to moderate excessive whinging, hyperbole, and vitrolic angst (assuming we're referring to the same moderation) from the public face of your project. If you allow your forums to become a toxic echo chamber for socially maladjusted individuals, you will not only allow a pall to fall over other players, scare off observers, but also deaden the developer's motivation.

Deleting excessively negative posts might hurt your feelings, but sometimes amputation is necessary.

I don't mean to imply that any of those things refer to you specifically, of course.

12. Derium

Derium Avatar

I'll do some of your legwork for you. It's all public info you can search up yourself.

UO:F: https://www.uoforever.com/
    https://www.uogateway.com/shard.php?id=728&act=view
    current population 907

UO evolution: http://uoevolution.com/
    https://www.uogateway.com/shard.php?id=438&act=view
    Current population: 746

UO:R: http://www.uorenaissance.com/
    https://www.uogateway.com/shard.php?id=743&act=view
    Current population: 627

UO gamers:
    https://www.uogateway.com/shard.php?id=207&act=view
    Current population: 301

Dementropy and Kain Darkmoor like this.
  13. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Yep I had the exact same feeling, although I stopped being active as most of the time its being ignored or stupid comments are being made.
    I have better things to do to spend my time.

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

True that. I haven't been as active but mostly due to being disgruntled over hitching.

Jaesun and Feeyo like this.
  15. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Is there some event going on, or are these really popular in Europe or something? All the servers have their average or way over their average players on right now. Shroud's high levels are exactly opposite during the day, like 12 hours ago.

Elwyn and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  16. Derium

Derium Avatar

That I am not aware of. If there is and the timing just happens to be there's a higher population, then that's just bad timing for me to use as an example.

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I bet we see an uptick in posts on Thursday with subjects like "WTF! I'm in private mode but I see everyone else!!!"

18. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

@Jason_M
    Although in principle I dislike censorship, I agree with what you said about the necessity to prevent the forums from becoming a “toxic echo chamber” and I like how you formulated that. And I am convinced that if the authors of regular toxic posts were in the position of moderating forums about a product of their own, they would do the same.

Having said that, I have noticed that many well-intentioned users just don’t have the skill or take the time to post feedback that doesn’t sound contentious, and are then surprised and affronted when their posts are moderated.

And moderators themselves sometimes go overboard and delete things unnecessarily. I myself was quite amused to have one of my posts (not game feedback) deleted. I don’t remember what it was about, but I remember thinking it wasn’t necessary to delete it. I also remember thinking that my post disappearing was no great loss to me or anybody else.

19. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

haha - yep the bom will explode :)

Barugon likes this.
  20. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Well either it's because there are many tens of thousands of players happily playing the game with no time or need to post on the forum...or the community continues to dwindle for a variety of well known and frustrating reasons.

Wonder which one it is ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.