Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

A different line of feedback about forced multiplayer

Discussion in 'Release 59 QA Feedback' started by Krissa Lox, Oct 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

95% if the time, I don't want to see other people, so I would opt-out. I don't think that I'm too much different than other people.

On the other side of the argument, when a new player joins SotA (an online multiplayer game) their first reaction is "where are all the people?" I think they should keep this change and see how it goes for a while. Most people (myself included) will adapt.

Dhanas and Gorthyn like this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I think these kinds of people will do it anyway for just about any reason... or at least threaten to. I understand your situation and it's fairly unique. I just think we should go with it at least for a while to see if it helps the perception of SotA.

Krissa Lox likes this.
  3. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I don't think anyone is arguing against the change to make Party mode be open in towns and overworld. But there are people asking that Private mode be left alone, at least until it can be shown that it will 1) be needed and 2) be large enough to make a difference.

There have been many things going back to the Kickstarter and pre-persistence era that have long since been disavowed for good technical reasons. (For instance, custom Duke heads would not only have required the trouble of generating the head images, but the images would probably have to all be baked into the game data of every client.) However this matchmaking mode change is for a non-technical reason, and Private mode may not even make enough difference to be worth changing years of a well advertised and working for years now feature. I'd rather see a cautious step forward for 90%+ of the way than a blind leap where the last 5% or so would give more negative than positive. Port should have enough visibility to see what would happen after changing only party mode to decide whether it's worth kicking that particular fire ant nest.

And whoever is saying "you can always play offline", stop it. That's not the same, and you know it. If you can't understand the difference, then pardon me while I facepalm my head through the floor.

4. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Thinking from a logical view. If It uses more memory, hard drive, database queries, cpu cycles for updates etc. if the number of people using it is very little and its using up considerable more resources on the server and for support / maintenance or if the impact of keeping it causes performance issues overall it would make sense to remove it if the population base using it is very little or if the need for it is not necessary. If you have to create copies of the world to make these extra instances for each person etc... the performance hit would be there. or if the tech does not work that way they are still using database queries to pull all this extra data just for the small numbers using it.

I speculate that would be part of the reasons for these changes.

5. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I'm pretty sure the way the game is architected (multiple P2P instances where most of the work is done on player computers) that there is more of a performance problem from putting more people into the same instances. They have mentioned absolutely nothing about doing this for performance reasons, and until they do, I would not speculate such.

6. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

The ongoing issues with dance parties, for example, would back that up. And again, I would highlight that doing this means that people can no longer reset their instances in "public" areas to work around the many bugs that crop up. For example, just last night my wife had to reset her instance in Brittany Estates because the light meshing was broken and most light sources failed to work correctly (Something I reported way back in like R38 and has yet to be resolved). As I noted earlier as well, the Oracle sometimes gets broken in a given instance, and the only way to fix it is to reset, etc. There's going to be a lot of headaches for the devs if this goes live w/o a private option.

7. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Reading the patch notes for tomorrow looks like they greatly improved performance with more peoples which should support issues with all in the same instance. guess we will see. Only the graphics are done on the player computer. All database requests , updates , changes etc are all done on server side. this is the same for all mmo games. If data was done on client side it could be hacked / manipulated allowing many bad things like item duplication, speed hacks, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.