Guide to becoming an epic swordswoman

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Sara Dreygon, Mar 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Sorry for the late response... wasn't watching the thread.

1.) I love double slash as depending on certain factors (ex. triple slash percent from blade spec) it is about on par with thrust for damage... or just costs more focus. I keep mine the same as thrust but always raise thrust first. Currently 150 bladed, 141 rend, 140 thrust, 140 d-slash. Once decay goes away I'll raise thrust up another 10 levels but figured I'd get tactics spec up 120 first.

2.) Yeah, it's still worth it for the Backstab bonus as well as avoiding as many Parries, Dodges, and Glances as possible.

3.) I know Dex helps but I always go Str over Dex. Even when I'm overencumbered with only 1 Dex I still kill everything so... doesn't help me that much. Currently I'm about max Str gear with Train Strength 116, and 108 on Endurance and Bulwark. Usually I'm at about 250 Str and 80 Dex or so.

2. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Will do however it'll probably just be for the three main blades combos, Hamstring, Sawblade Sweep, and Quadruple Slash. The magic ones like Smoldering Shiv I don't use.

3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

..... wait..... you can combo with a locked glyph?!??!?

Alioth and Sara Dreygon like this.
  4. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Aye... and only if the other one is unlocked.

5. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

..... well .....

That changes everything.

I learn something totally new about this combat system at least four times a year. Game alteringly huge.

6. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

Are combos useful again? The only combo that was worthwhile was the DOT one (hamstring iirc) and that was OP, but that was fixed/nerfed a long time ago ... afaik combos aren't worth using in their current state.

7. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Yes, a few combos are useful in the right situation:

Hamstring - Not as OP as it once was, but still useful, especially against archers that run from you.
    Sawblade Sweep - AOE DOT for a melee user.
    Evaporate - (Douse + Juxtapose) Fire resist debuff for 30 seconds
    Enfeeblement - (Strength of Earth + Juxtapose) Lowers targets strength for 1 minute
    Imbecile Incantation - (Enlightenment + Juxtapose) Lowers targets intelligence for 1 minute

8. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Correct... Daxxe knows his stuff. I'd add that sawblade and hamstring stack with the three rends to give 5 dots on bosses. I usually have another swordsman put these two on and I do the rends.

Vaiden Luro and Daxxe Diggler like this.
  9. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

that usually takes a few tries, though. it's worth doing, but fair warning that sawblade only has a chance to apply the dot.

10. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

True, sawblade only has a chance for the DOT, but I'd be using whirling blades in that situation if not using sawblade anyway and at least do the same amount of damage either way.

If the combo is available for me, I'll take it every time for that chance (especially early on in a fight or on a boss that needs the extra dps... likely won't if it's a final blow to a small group of normal mobs though.)

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  11. Sid

Sid Avatar

Hey there, I'm pretty new and I am sooo thankful for the guide. I think I have been playing very wrong, I'm using a 2-H sword but with leather armor (I guess that's completely useless right? ).
    Could you please let me know if I should forget about leather armor? And if I were to switch to heavy armor, which type is more viable? Plate or chain? Is there an obvious choice?

12. Mobidoy Querrent

Mobidoy Querrent Avatar

Here is a link with weapon and armor discussion for a Swordsman. It provides you info on both roles, dual wield and Tank.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...melee-dual-wield-and-sword-and-shield.138115/

Sid and Sara Dreygon like this.
  13. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

14. Katu

Katu Avatar

I recently switched to swords and I like it. Read this guide and It definitely answered to many questions.
    Two questions still thou ( for now). Assume that I have pretty good chain armor and weapons 2x1h or 2h( getting all crafted, once I know what I wanna do)
    1. To maximize solo dps/farm potential, should and(or) can I go high on fire?
    2. Tactics really worth as second specialization? What else? Life?

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  15. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

1. To maximize solo dps/farm potential, should and(or) can I go high on fire? Yeah, fire goes really well with blades. Tactics is always good as a second but is really only good if you're putting out high DPS and killing things in small groups before they kill you. Rend and fire gives you amazing DOTs which is amazing for many bosses and can kill large groups quickly.
    2. Tactics really worth as second specialization? What else? Life? Yeah, tactics is amazing and quite a few people pick it up. An argument could be made that it is better than blades if you were only to pick one but that would be dependent on how often you use berserker, parry, offhand, etc. Life is also amazing and makes many people unkillable (*cough* OP *cough*).

Jaesun and Katu like this.
  16. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Interesting. I'm Ranged/Light armor specs, but I really only have the light armor spec for flurry. I've been thinking Life might be a better option, since it might do a better job of keeping me alive than the not-so-great light armor skills.

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What is the Flurry bonus for specialization?

18. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Yeah, since flurry and berserker don't stack, it might be worth trading the light armor spec for tactics and using berserker instead as you'll get a lot of other tasty bonuses from tactics like the berserker crit damage bonus. Although flurry has a card draw bonus (I believe) I think berserker would still be better and I know a few archers that use it.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Oh yeah, card draw bonus. Not really useful to me.

20. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Being light armor, I'd worry that doing anything that lowers my armor that much like Berserker would just cause me to die even faster against bosses. My DPS is okay, I just can't last long when enemies crit for over half my HP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.