Quality of life improvement: xp attenuation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dhanas, Oct 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Yeah only VERY recently. However, I left for 8months came back and was able to solo the Rise day one. Never could before that. Was walking around smashing EVERYTHING.

2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

There’s the new Tier 10 sewer for you in the next release....

Chatele, Chrystoph Reis and Dhanas like this.
  3. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I would consult mimners chart about this, but if you just keep on going through attenuation does it not end up being a mil per hour? If so, you really do not have to stop if you dont want to. If you attenuate really fast, you will see the exp gains decrease really fast too, but once they are decreased really badly, if you keep playing through it, I think it goes back up and will end up being a mil per hour anyways. I am not against the proposal, just want to make that clear.

As far as why we have attenuation, it stops someone like me from soloing something like superstition canyon and getting 6-8 mil per hour rocketing far away from everyone else.

Mimner and Dhanas like this.
  4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

This is what I've feared when the Quality of Life Improvements began... Now, Anything that keeps people from attaining whatever goal they desire immediately is too onerous to be born, and the call for a Quality of Life Improvement goes up.

kaeshiva, Elwyn and Chrystoph Reis like this.
  5. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

Yeah, you can do 6-8 mil per hour, but if the cap is 10m daily you will stop after 1h and 30 min because you are attenuated, probably another guy will spend more time for do what you did in 1h and 30m but if there is a cap to hit, it is the same, you just do it faster.

I know you can continue to xp while attenuated, but the perception is different, Why have I to continue taking less xp if I can just wait and do it faster, it's all about perception and optimization of playtime.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  6. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I think that cap would need to be higher, some days I pull in 15 mil, I think it would really suck that I would have to stop after 10.

7. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

Yeah, I don't know what is the correct number, maybe 24 as someone suggested, it is like 1m per hours playing 24/24, but since no one play 24/24 maybe 15 or 18 can be good

8. Mimner

Mimner Avatar

Attenuation doesn't cap your experience, it merely diminishes how much exp a mob grants you based on how much exp you've already earned in the last hour. Once the amount received in the last hour hits 1 million attenuation starts and your light turns on, but you're still receiving FULL exp at that point. Its only when you go beyond 1 mil / hour that the amount of exp you earn from each mob starts to go down. How far you can go beyond 1 million per hour depends on how fast you're burning through mobs. So, technically speaking, when person A burns faster than person B then person A will receive more exp than person B. However, once person A and B are both burning at a sufficiently high rate, the difference between person A and person B becomes VERY small.

The problem is that once the attenuation starts to kick in, it does so insanely quickly. This steep drop off in exp per mob allows us to front load all our exp for the hour, and then take a break. Technically speaking the break causes us to gain less exp than if we had continued to level uninterrupted, but the amount we miss out on is so small it doesn't matter. People who are becoming very strongly attenuated in 20 or so minutes maybe only miss out on a few thousand exp when they take a break for the rest of the hour, as compared to if they had leveled continuously. A few thousand compared to the 1.2 million you've already gotten to get strongly attenuated is peanuts. Thus the person who takes breaks is able to 'catch up' with the person who is leveling continually.

Attenuation needs to be increased much more gradually once the point of attenuation is reached. In fact, for the best result attenuation should begin immediately upon killing the first mob instead of waiting until you hit the 1 mil / hr cap. This would result in attenuation still limiting what you can earn over a sustained period of grinding, but the attenuation would be gradual enough so that the person who takes breaks would never be able to catch back up with the person who levels continuously.

Bom, Moiseyev Trueden and Girlsname like this.
  9. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

I personally like attenuation being hourly. 24 million per day is not really a cap, most players I doubt gain 10 million XP per day. There are only a few places that have the mob density and respawn rates to actually attenuate in less than 40 minutes in my experience. There may be more if you are very high level (I'm 108) but that sounds like attenuation working as intended.

Namely allowing challenging content that can not be overleveled for huge XP gains.

The answer is not to change attenuation, change the way you play to match the rules of the game. Find a different spot that takes you 50 minutes to attenuate but gives more other reward than XP.

Regards
    Spung

10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Taking breaks to do something else is fine by me.

Mhtic and Synergy Blaize like this.
  11. Purie

Purie Avatar

If I would run the show. I would remove the EXP cap and let hardcore players grind with no cap. Casuals will never reach them what ever system would be in place. People have already outleveled others. What does it really matter if someone is adv lvl 150 and ur 100. Wouldn't matter at all. There is no competition anyway. I've seen people that played since persistence and have like 10-20 gms. Some people will never be high lvl....

The current system is just garbage.

12. addrox

addrox Avatar

I say just make a character bundle for $1000-5000 for a level 150+ Character

Oh snap ... they got mad at ... Oooo0o0o0o Oo0o0o Oo000o0o0 OOOo o0o0o O0oo

Just got rezzed ... Ok but on a serious side ... Here are some suggestions

Make an Obsidian potion that takes away Attn for 7 days?

Use COTO to remove ... based on COTO type used it removed Attn and Raises Cap

(my f
    av) Going to PVP zone removes ATTN or PVP Zones will not ATTN players (make PVP zones viable)

Make a Quest that will remove ATTN either Perm, or for X time ...

Make a Shrine that raises EXP CAP before ATTN happens

Make an item or item set (S) thats craftable and hard to make that raises ATTN EXP Caps?

Your Welcome oh no PVP ... Oo0o0oO o0o0o O0o00o oooo

(and listen ... in this game where pvp is optional ... don't cry if you don't care for pvp just let some of us have it already) 00o_O00

Dhanas likes this.
  13. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

+1 for this, I love this idea.

addrox likes this.
  14. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

When i started this game i was getting 300k an hour at the rise. Now its 1m an hour in the rise, now you want 10m in 2 hour in lost vale? Next is what, everyone level 200 after getting their shroud? I dont like it. I worked for this 2 year to get my levels, i see people playing 3-4 months and reach what i did in 2 year, now its gonna take 2 month, playing 2 hours a day, to reach this? Good way to ruin what we did, if this come in im out.

FrostII, Mhtic and kaeshiva like this.
  15. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Btw Lost vale give way to much gold and exp. Its easier by FAR than UT, people can just hide in a tunnel (look at where all the bodies is in the room) and continuously cast aoe and heal to survive everything, monster do half damage than UT, and give way better loot (too much in my opinion). Each boss give 500-1k gold, arti, supply bags yellow/blue/orange, not counting all recipies from mage and elves in general and their gold + random treasure they drop cause they are high level. 2 wave you get attenuated if you are solo. It takes almost 3 in UT. Just plain stupid. All this done in 5 minutes, respawn is 3 minute or so, thats 30k gold an hour + all arti and everything else. This is madness. Yes it open 2-3 times a day and its fine like that. No one is suposed to go there and farm all day long bringing alt to move ur stuff out.
    I say nerf Lost Vale loot or exp. Or give some stuff back to UT mob. There is group farming there, 6-7 people working their ass off to get that millions exp in 40 minutes and get 0 loot (no bags, no more gems, normal recipe (no special elves), no arti everyround), just exp. Where is the fair play?

Lesni and Synergy Blaize like this.
  16. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

I started to play this game around 2 years ago, and it wasn't easy as it is now. I had to work hard fo reach lvl 100, it took me around 9 months. I started to lvl up in twins foothills, then I went to sieges, then the rise, then The Fall, because yes pvp zone were the most rewarding zones in term of xp. Now we are playing a totaly different game, there is double xp, and now no decay, you can grind over and over in solo mode in easy maps and reach cap without any effort and any risk.
    Unfortunately that game you are talking about is gone, now we have all the quality of life improvement and this game is becoming easy and boring, what I am asking is to remove the boring part of this game ( grinding) so we can dedicate our time to do something else: PVP, crafting, boss hunting or whatever you want to do.
    As it is now it incentivize just ppl who like to spend hours and hours grinding in friend mode doing repetitive actions.

UT is much worse, you can attenuate solo in 3 waves that are easier than LostVale ( just craft a life gear and spam banish undead) and you can do around 30kk igg hourly, you can park an alt near the rock and xp it excatly like you do in LostVale. Only difference between this 2 zones are that one is an endgame zone the other is a t4+ , one open 3 times in a day the other is opened all the time.
    So the ones who spend more boring time doing ripetitive actions in UT have more xp than the ones who risk their ass in endgame zones or PVP zones.

I honestly would prefer, like @addrox said, to remove cap just from PVP zone and give those zones a meaning again, but I didn't dare to ask this because I know the population of this server.

17. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Can I watch you die as you stand there and only spam banish, I want to see if what you say is true, or if you are just using BS to try and make your argument more viable. I would not say I can sit in the cabalist room and just spam corspe explosion, cuz its not true. I have done both solo, and it is easier to do the cabalist room then it is to do UT. I do not need to kite the melee around in cabalist room, and with corspe explosion most things are dead before they even have the chance to damage me. Loots ARE better in the cabalist room, and you attenuate in both way under an hour.

Now I am not asking for a nerf to lost vale nor UT, there are people who like both and who the hell am I to try and take that away from them?

18. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

I am not asking for nerfs too, and no I don't usualy do UT, but I saw people doing it. I never said you do it without kiting, you have to do kiting in both place if you are mage. I am just saying in UT you can do all spamming banish and it is easy. I ll provide a video soon anyway so you can understand what i mean.
    The original OP of this post was to transform cap per hour to a daily cap, I am not asking for nerfs.

19. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Here's a thought.
    At the moment you get an "adventure XP" bonus (daring adventurer) for being pvp flagged and killing things.
    Since that bonus isn't really as useful anymore, since you attenuate in under an hour most places, what if instead the pvp flag just gave your attentuation threshold a 10% boost? So you could get 1.1m instead of 1m before the debuff hit.
    I think that'd give a nice little perk for PvPers without being so good that it would enrage everyone else. I certainly wouldn't deal with the lag/hassle of fighting on multiplayer or the of flagging/unflagging for an extra 100k, but for people who play flagged anyway its an extra little reward for their risk, which is really no more than the reward they already get, just transformed into something a bit more useful now that we have an attenuation system.

Elwyn, Purie and Dhanas like this.
  20. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I do not have to kite the mobs in cabalist room, as I said, corspe explosion kills most of them before they even damage me, and I am playing a mage. Just spam corpse explosion and its easy. Smoken does not kite the mobs around either, and he plays a mage. Now I have soloed both, and I can honestly tell you, cabalist room is easier.

FrostII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.