Minimum System Requirements

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by Berek, Jul 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

My specs are still low end - my game experience has only improved over the last two years. load times are long and unchanged, but the game itself is faster and prettier .

Win 10ish (from 8.1), amd 3.8 mhz quadcore, zotek gt 730 4gig, 8 gig ram sota connected (NOT thru steam i mean) I bought this system in parts thru newegg - 450 bucks 5 years ago. It's time for an upgrade - now if Portalarium made a custom sota system and had an event for that, I'd jump through a few hoops... ')

THE HENDOMAN

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    majoria70 and Simon LeBon like this.
  2. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

If you read the post at the beginning of this thread you will see that the minimum specs were updated as of March 21, 2018 and are not 2-years old. Yes, you may be able to run the game with lower specs, but those are what the company deems minimum to adequately play the game. The game still has lots of performance problems, so, if/when, they fix them the specs may come down lower, but @EdwinDrood was wondering why the game was running slow on his current build.

3. Eric White

Eric White Avatar

Although I'm not disagreeing with when they were updated... I do disagree with what they currently are listed as. I think that some people who look at this game from a "should I download the free trial" perspective are turned off by the currently listed minimum requirements.

Again, even my rather beefy system does not meet the video card minimum (nVidia GTX 750 ti) and I can crank the graphics up pretty high and I don't have any issues running this game at 1080p.

I didn't mean for my post to cause disagreement, but some of this thread has been a discussion on what system specs under the minimum are working for many of us.

Sorthious and Elwyn like this.
  4. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

FWIW, I've run this quite acceptably on a GT 1030 2GB (yes, a hundred dollar graphics card, with no fan, just an enormous heat sink!) and Sandy Bridge i5 2400. I upgraded to a 1050Ti 4GB so that I could put the 1030 into a small form factor computer and saw no noticeable improvement at 1080p. It's really a good idea to have at least 10-12GB of RAM in any case.

I'd say a 750 or 1030 with a Sandy Bridge i5 or i7 (6-7 years old) and 8-16GB RAM for 1080p is plenty to run the game... because that's what I've actually been using.

5. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

@Sorthious sry to hijack the thread - I thought we could multitask here but maybe we should stick with the op... ;)

if windows, I'd doublecheck non system req. stuff, like the 100%hdd error plaguing systems now and then, also the windows defender thingy is taking a lot of memory and hdd sometimes - some threads even blame the microsoft store n cortana from interfering with performance....

i think there's a mac post not too long ago that covered alot of this... imma see if i can quickly link it here

THE HENDOMAN

Sorthious likes this.
  6. Elrich Skychosen

Elrich Skychosen Avatar

When the Game crashes,
    Is there a way to see what the issue is? How does one know if it’s ram “filling up” how does one know if it isn’t the GPU or CPU? What if the mother board is junk? I know it’s a tech question but when the game crashes, and it seems to be in areas with a lot going on such as In Brittany. So I instantly think GPU or maybe CPU but reading the threads it seems there’s a way to know for sure or at least to get a better idea?

7. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Giving your specs would help. If it's Win10, simply preses CTRL-ALT-DEL, choose Task Manager, then the Performance tab. You should see some basic info.

8. Elrich Skychosen

Elrich Skychosen Avatar

Ryzen 5 1400 4core 3.2 ghz
    AMD RX 570
    8 GB RAM (7.89 usable)
    HD no SSD

I cover minimum specs but I’m thinking maybe getting more RAM would help. I play on the lowest setting and sometimes I get frame drops pretty bad and I’ll crash in the bigger cities. I’m really enjoying the game and would like to play but it seems my rig just isn’t up to the task. I bought a pre built from Dell so it’s some Dell motherboard.

So, I opened task manager and clicked on the performance tab. Walking around in Central Brittany, my Disk is at 100% and My RAM is at 97% CPU and GPU are around 50% and 60% so it’s likely I need more RAM and get an SSD?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

yes the game is very graphic intense. We have a lot to load with housing and player things as most of the load. Everyone should imo have a minimum of 16 gb for games now-a-days. ;) I hope it helps you. I also do play Shrouds on an SSD and I have 32 gb of ram on my newer computer so I don' t have to worry for a while hopefully for any games I want to play. The game runs very well for me. No lagging or anything and very few times I ever crash.

10. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

Absolutely should have an SSD as well, night/day difference!

11. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

Yes, these are the two easiest ways to help the game run - (experience for former and present desktop and laptop systems)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.