SotA Combat Achievement Videos (+how-to)

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Lazlo, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

In the last couple of months I've made a few SotA videos just replying to threads and messing around. They weren't particularly good, but I had a lot of fun making them. It makes soloing challenging stuff for the hell of it a lot more rewarding. I wanted to make a thread where anyone can feel free to post their own videos whenever they want. They don't have to be good or impressive. Most of mine aren't. Whatever makes you happy.

For anyone that wants to make videos but doesn't know how, I'll give a very brief how-to. Just be aware that this isn't something that I did exhaustive research on to provide the best recommendations possible. I just googled around a bit when I wanted to learn how myself, and this is the first thing I came up with that was free and fairly simple. I don't have a lot of experience with it, and there may be better options. I'll share what worked for me though.

Currently I use OBS Studio for recording. You can download it for free at obsproject.com.

In the sources box, you need to add a game capture and set it to your SotA window. You'll only need to do this once. In the settings of your game capture, you might want to uncheck the capture cursor box if you don't want your videos to show your mouse going all over the place.

The mixer and general settings are fairly self explanatory. Basically all you need to do once you have your settings how you want them is to start recording, stop recording, and file>show recordings to see your recordings folder. I save my files as flv, but youtube supports all the common video file types these days.

Don't forget that the larger the resolution that SotA is running in, the more resources it takes to record, the larger the video file will be, and the longer it will take to upload. I usually record in 1280 x 720. It makes for small files, but the game window is still big enough to play and the quality is still decent.

Uploading to youtube is fairly straightforward. There's an icon specifically for uploading videos on the upper right of the page, and you can just drag and drop the file or browse to it. Then just publish and done. When your video first goes live, it might be kind of fuzzy the first time you watch it. The resolution will improve to match the original within a few minutes though.

I like to add music to my videos, because I don't really feel like narrating them, and even a shitty video isn't too bad if it has some catchy music. The easiest way to do that is to just edit in publicly available music from the youtube audio library after your video is uploaded. I'm not sure where that option is in youtube's new creator studio, but it's under the audio tab in the old layout when you edit a video. Once you're there it's pretty self explanatory. It does usually take about 20 minutes before the added music shows up.

You can also just record your desktop sound to add in whatever music you want while recording, or edit audio into the recording before uploading, but if you use copyrighted music for your video it might get removed. Some musicians allow their music to be used, or used with ads. You can look up music policies here: https://www.youtube.com/music_policies

If you run into any problems, feel free to ask here. I'm sure there's lots of people here that know a lot more about it than me that can help.

Here's one that I made last night in Brittany Sewers. These guys kicked me around quite a few times when I first tried this place, so it was nice to get revenge.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  2. disorder

disorder Avatar

I had a very brief play around also, 2nd video ever... might make more in the future maybe...

Ataniiq, Krissa Lox, Aeryk and 2 others like this.
  3. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

So today I went to Southern Grunvald Barrens, because aether creatures are on vacation. I hadn't fought a dragon in a very long time, and I've never successfully soloed one since they were made more difficult. I never really fought them much when they were easier either, so I really didn't know what I was doing tbh.

I was expecting to get served, but I ran in there anyway and was able to take down a red dragon. So I thought, cool, I'll make an achievement video. Then I get all set up, but this time the dragon is black. Oh well. Still ran in there and busted him up caveman style. That was pretty fun.

Krissa Lox and Aeryk like this.
  4. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

Great video, thanks for sharing! How did you get up to a 67% fizzle chance on Death Shield while wearing a full set of plate?

Lazlo likes this.
  5. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Thanks. Death specialization has a -fizzle mod intended to compensate for the fairly bleh bonuses to active skills. It's not listed in the description though.

Innascual Inch likes this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The more attunement you have in any school of magic, the lower your fizzle chance.

Innascual Inch likes this.
  7. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

There's still an additional bonus for death. It's pretty significant too. I think without the spec my success rate on shield in full plate would be like 20 or a little less.

Barugon likes this.
  8. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

I confirmed this. With about 1K points in death but without specialization my shield success rate was just under 20% in full plate. I leveled death spec up to 80 and have about 65% success rate now. Thx again for the tip, makes a huge difference...

Lazlo likes this.
  9. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Went back for the red dragon tonight. Gotta catch em all.

disorder likes this.
  10. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

This isn't really much an achievement, but a while back I made a very short video showing someone where I would go to farm lich skulls if I needed them. Today I went back there and gave it more of an effort. That turned out to be more fun than I expected.

P.S. Running out of music ;_;

11. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

That is not true, its the more levels in a skill the less fizzle, I think its 1% for each 10 levels. You can test this by putting on a bunch of attunement gear.

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes, I was wrong.

Sean Silverfoot and Mac2 like this.
  13. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

No problem, I know it was not intentionally, you are always trying to help and share knowledge.

Jaesun, Barugon and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  14. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Beat compendium finale solo for the first time tonight. This does not make us even...

Nawww likes this.
  15. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Took a shot at soloing the lich boss room in The Rise tonight. Was able to win and got a pretty good video too. Probably my greatest SotA combat achievement to this point.

Sorry for posting it in 2 different threads, but the feedback thread will be gone soon.

Sentinel2, Jaesun and Barugon like this.
  16. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

@Lazlo - First off, great vids. Always fun to watch people solo high tier content.

Question though... is there a reason you don't charge up death shield (from your buff bar)? Seems to me you could do a 5-6 stack of it and make it stronger and last longer and as a bonus, not need it on your combat bar to free up a slot for another skill.

Lazlo likes this.
  17. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Thanks. I do stack it now, but for quite a while I didn't realize that stacking improved shielding buffs. I thought that when stacking got nerfed for a bunch of long duration buffs that shielding spells were in the group that got nerfed. That was either wrong or they were unnerfed later, not sure which. I didn't realize it until a couple months ago I think. That was a happy day!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    Jaesun and Daxxe Diggler like this.
  18. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Fair enough. I know there was a short time when stacking it actually made it seem worse (buff tooltip bug) and so people were just single casting. But that's been fixed for a while and stacking definitely gives better shield and longer durations now.

19. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Made a quick phoenix video for fun.

20. Xkhan

Xkhan Avatar

Really enjoying these - thank you @Lazlo .

I didn't think death shield worked vs undead? I have been working on Immolation / fire spec but many of the 'solo' videos I see people using death shield. ugh.

Lazlo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.