Please give me SPO in my own POT back.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StarLord, Oct 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

I find the body of evidence to run counter to these above statements, as the servers have been directing scene masters to begin and end quite happily since I have been observing since Dec of 2014. The server’s uptime resilience speaks for itself when directing the traffic of when to roll out who is where and in what zone.

Elwyn, Sean Silverfoot and Mishikal like this.
  2. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I believe when you use to build in any mode in a POT it showed up instantly in all instances (single, party and open) so there should be no difference.

Barugon likes this.
  3. Serion

Serion Avatar

I appreciate that Portalarium changed the overworld and towns to open mode. It increases the likelihood of player interactions, which is a precursor to higher player retention and good for business.

I applaud Portalarium for having the courage to make meaningful changes that may be temporarily unpopular, but strengthen the game (business) in the long run. I look forward to playing for many years to come!

4. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

indeed, however now they dont have to do it as much which is still freed up CPU cycles and memory. If there are less data calls then things run faster that is basic database logic.

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I don't think that this change will have any impact on their servers.

Sean Silverfoot and Mishikal like this.
  6. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

maybe not considering they are using Amazon cloud servers. but never know. I am just stating that less database queries always equal better performance :)

Cordelayne likes this.
  7. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

If it shows up in all instances isn’t my point. Some people need a certain level of concentration to feel creative. Having the choice to build in public or private is a nice choice to have, or was...

Alley Oop likes this.
  8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The cloud servers are only used for login.

9. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Still doesn't change logic but we don't know either way as we don't have the metrics on the server performance before and after, nor do we have the information on how they do their instancing. Perhaps it is as simple as they just don't show other characters to a party or single which then would be less data used, or maybe they are are really creating an instance for just the one person or party each time which would then have the additional costs to performance. If it had no costs then why did they change it?

10. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Because in the end, some one asked them to - in a fashion to make the merchant gathering places and residential areas feel lived in.

It’s a sentiment which I can, on some level, relate to, but not necessarily want to agree with in certain conditions.

If someone wants to use it as a private estate - citing the desert town of Dead Horse as example, is this possible?

We have other people whom allow their children to play and they use party selective mode to adventure with as it allows of a parent filtration of their kid’s adventure. Do these people go into a town anymore?

On a much deeper level, this is a bigger decision than Duke’s walls ever was.

Defaulting is one thing, but removing the option altogether is quite a different ballgame when considering what we have had in the design core for the last few years.

But - if the metrics and surveys do show better retention with it always enabled, keeping the game growing is where we need to be.

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

They changed it because someone (I don't remember who) suggested it as a way to make the game feel more populated, a very large number of players supported the suggestion, Portalarium listened and implemented the change.

12. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

I almost feel if we can ask for a Zoning ordinance for our POTs.

Pvp
    Residential and Commercial
    Estate
    Rural and Wilderness

The first two being open mode
    The second two being mixed

13. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

I am not a fan of this forced change as we were always promised this whole time we would have selective game play option. I am ok with over world being public, but not my POT.

amaasing, Cyin, StarLord and 3 others like this.
  14. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Port knew going into this that the change would be unpopular with a good chunk of the population. They were given viable alternatives in the QA forum for R59 that would allow the general goal to be met w/o getting rid of SPO. They locked the thread w/o follow up. So I think the writing is very clear: SPO's dead. If you don't want to be visible, your options basically come down to: a) lock your properties and stay inside your house; b) keep your stuff but stop playing; or c) sell your stuff (If you can, the market's tanking).

amaasing, Cyin, Kain Darkmoor and 2 others like this.
  15. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

A better option that solves your problem completely would be to have the players name appear above the craft station they are using, but their body vanishes and the station can be used by any number of people at once. I'm sure it's been brought up somewhere in this post because it's just common sense as opposed to rolling back the change for a minor inconvenience easily circumvented by having your own craft station. Now that banks are connected you could use any town to do what you gotta do.

16. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

No! I love the changes

Onyx likes this.
  17. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

This change is good for the game, thumbs up. All of the anti-change comments are solvable already in-game.

Gorthyn, Brass Knuckles and Onyx like this.
  18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I have wondered how it would feel but really we are still too empty to know imo. I as the manager of Wizards Rest for the moment don't see huge amounts of players to cause any issues. I think if there becomes issues and as players see issues we can address these in various ways. I do believe the change is for the good right now. Any change can cause anxiety and with so many of them right now I can totally understand this but I am hanging in there and stifling some of it to see how it goes.

edited

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  19. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

20. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

THIS!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.