SOTA on a Threadripper

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by Superbitsandbob, Oct 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

Anyone playing SotA using an AMD Threadripper CPU, either a 12 or 16 core one?

Had any issues? Cheers!

Elgarion likes this.
  2. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I think @Barugon is playing on a Threadipper. What issues are you talking about?

Barugon likes this.
  3. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

Windows and some games seem to play funny sometimes with high cores (although generally the 2990x and 2970x). As SotA uses a modern game engine I am not expecting any issues but wanted to know in advance before I do some PC upgrading.

4. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

You could also disable Simultaneous Multi Threading (SMT) in your BIOS if you are having issues. For some games it improves performance a lot with that disabled.

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I havea Ryzen 7 that has 8 cores (16 logical processors). I have SMT turned off though.

Feeyo likes this.
  6. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

OK thanks for the reply. I think you can turn a Threadripper into a Ryzen with the Ryzen Master software so there is always that if there is a problem.

7. Schneider DragonFang

Schneider DragonFang Avatar

I use a 1950x threadripper, the most significant issue I have seen is the fps in game running on this setup. I will be lucky to pull 30 fps in 3840x2160 on the overland map and a lot of times in the single digits in POTS and npc towns.
    CPU: 1950x Threadripper
    Ram: 32 gig ddr4 corsair dominator
    GPU: 2 1080 evga FTW hybrid in sli
    HD: 1 tb Samsung m2 drive

The biggest change you can make would be to open task manager while client is running and going to details and set the affinity on the sota client, limit how many threads/cores are allowed to be used on the client. For me 16 cores = 32 threads, so I limit my client to 16 cpus. Doing this I can see an increase of 10-15 fps in game, even more so if you have shadows turned off.

As it's built now shroud won't take advantage of a threadripper or a sli configuration.
    Unless you intend to modify your own video drivers to force sli to enable while shroud runs.

8. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

I've noticed when playing on my Ryzen with 4 physical cores (8 threads) a large percentage of the time is spent on a single threaded task as well. Other Unity3D based games do this as well.

If someone is looking to buy a threadripper, a higher processor speed with a lower core (i.e. the 12 core model) will do better.

As a note, since many tasks are memory bound, the added quad channel memory of the threadripper will boost your performance more than any other aspect of that CPU. The same can be said for the (much more expensive) Intel CPUs with quad channel memory.

Schneider DragonFang likes this.
  9. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

Oh, I forgot to mention, GPU tasks are largely GPU memory bound, particularly the ability to copy in data from the main system memory, and getting full 16 lane PCI-E 3.0 will help a lot. That said, it's all used in bursts so it's a pain in the neck that 99% of the time is idle for short pinches of being bottlenecked in one spot on the system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.