Lots os new players...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Simon LayBon, Nov 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric White

Eric White Avatar

... I walked into Solace Bridge Outskirts last night as well as Soltown.

I must have saw 20 different players in the span of 3 minutes. Very nice. Stopped to help a few who looked like they were lost.

Lets keep helping these new F2P players and enjoy a boost in this already awesome community.

2. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Thank you for F2P, now advertise plz

3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Yes, help the noobs! It's still a tough game to overcome in the early hours so make it an easier experience by answering their questions or just saying hi.

4. smack

smack Avatar

The number of daily Britannians (new forum users) has spiked since the F2P change. Prior to the change, there were on average about 50 new forum users per day. Since then:

10/25 - 55
    10/26 - 198
    10/27 - 370
    10/28 - 373
    10/29 - 335
    10/30 - 351
    10/31 - 1235
    11/01 - 1784

Sure, some of these may be forum spambots as they've never solved that problem. But it's a noticeable change in trends nonetheless, that we could guess is related to the F2P change. Or, someone just increased the spambot account creation rate :rolleyes:

5. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Same.

I get the same two questions nearly every time.

How do I get gold.

How do I get a house.

I'm glad to help out. Though I keep thinking perhaps this is something the New User Experience should address.

Or something shortly afterwards. It's interesting how often it comes up.

They were clearly new. One guy wasn't aware of the scene levels (the skulls).

Things to think about.

6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Also remember, you can put on the Hospitaller title on, when going to newbie area, if you are there to help. I try to do that when I am in town, in case someone has a question or needs help.

7. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Wow, 20 different players? sounds like SOTA is becoming an MMO! 20 players online at same time servers must be busting at the seams haha :) glad to hear new players are coming.

8. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

Also, forcing players into Multiplayer online in more situations was a good move

9. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

f2p you can always count on having x10 people at least, that surely help, even steam chart was at -14 now +4
    and thats only in what... 4 day? This is also a good time for promoting the game has winter is kicking in. I think its everyone effort to advertise the game to their corner store and friends at work, even facebook :)
    (btw sota facebook seem dead since june! great time update it!)

10. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

I would suggest telling everyone to friend anyone they see as well. I know this is contentious, but in this game, with the teleport scrolls its a key aspect to getting around and joining up with friends and groups. I've had a few folks being quite tentative about friending. Coming from other games it has a different meaning and the newer players are a bit cagey about doing it willy nilly.

11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I watched the livestream today well it is now yesterday ;) and Darkstarr again mentioned the bind everywhere. So soon our friends list may become our friends list, well here's hoping ;). I do like the feature we have on our friends to make a note. I forget to use that usually. Like sometimes I meet someone interested to play music or do some other aspect of the game and I have started to try to make note of that by their name.

12. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

LOL glad im not the only one! I try to be useful and patient with anyone that messages me or asks me a question in game and there's been a lot of that recently, particularly on tbe overworld with the new ftp influx. A couple of times recently a player has shouted 'hey Steevo how's it going' and I'm like erm, I'm great, er XYZ, how are you today? :confused:

Paladin Michael likes this.
  13. Dulayne

Dulayne Avatar

They put out a press release on Tuesday so it’s already begun. :)

14. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Also I think they're after steady growth,
    I could be wrong, but in contrast to some understandable but assumed views, the company is stable, especially after the staff cuts following tbe huge effort in the initial game building.

I'm not sure FTP was initially planned so early but they needed bigger numbers and wider awareness to achieve any growth at all, the size of the player base meant growth was stagnant.

Anyway, I fully expect a much more aggressive and impressive marketing push with Episode 2 when so many core systems will be addressed and additional content available. Here's hoping.

Just my vew

15. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Even without Hospitaller title a good amount of my time I am answering questions ;)
    And I really appreciate to receive answers from others in (zone and) universe chat if I have a question :)
    Also after 4 years, there are moments where everybody needs help. And this is one of the amazing things, knowing, most time there is someone who answers ...
    And beside chat the 'looking for group' feature is helpful, of course I mean: not only the 'looking for upper tears group' ;)

Astirian likes this.
  16. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Nice add to some one's positive experience............sheeesh

Simon LeBon likes this.
  17. smack

smack Avatar

Quick update on the numbers: (also fixed the date as it was off by 1 day)

10/24 - 55
    10/25 - 198
    10/26 - 370
    10/27 - 373
    10/28 - 335
    10/29 - 351
    10/30 - 1235
    10/31 - 1784
    11/01 - 1071
    11/02 - 903
    11/03 - 855
    11/04 - 633
    11/05 - 473
    11/06 - 417
    11/07 - 333

So it peaked on 10/31 and has seen a steady drop off since then. Given current trends, we may see it return to pre-F2P levels in about a week or two. While the numbers don't match, at least the trend is similar to what we're seeing in the Steam data as well.

That would mean over 9800 new accounts since 10/24. But did that equate to 9800 new players? o_O

And again -- these are the total number of new forum users per day. We are only guessing if there is a correlation in actual players in the game, as it's been suspected that there's some script out there creating spam accounts daily.

gtesser, Brewton and Cordelayne like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.