A reasonable Adventurer Level to complete all 3 main virtue quest-lines?

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by lightuser, Nov 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lightuser

lightuser Avatar

Hi, does anyone know what's a reasonable Adventurer Level to complete all 3 main virtue quest lines, ie. the paths of Love, Truth, and Courage?

I read that the Path of Love is the toughest as it requires you to fight to the top of the Tower of the Shuttered Eye battling multiple skeleton mobs in the process? What Adventurer level would I need to do this? Would completing most of the side quests for the 3 paths bring me up to this required Adventurer level?

My current strategy is to do all the side quests for Love, Truth and Courage to bring up my Adventurer level before doing the main quest lines. Is this a feasible approach?

Thanks!

2. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Hi mate. What is your build for attempting the quest lines? is your armour type heavy (plate/chain), leather or cotton, do you use a shield? are you a mage, tank, ranged dps melee?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  3. lightuser

lightuser Avatar

I'm currently using chain and longbow. Currently I'm mainly ranged dps (archer build). AL 34 now.

Thinking of switching soon to 2-handed sword with full plate for faster farming of melee mobs (eg thugs)

4. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

At least adv lvl 50..

Cordelayne and lightuser like this.
  5. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Thanks for that. As Galiwyn says generally above 50, but many of the mobs and challenges for the main story quest lines require a face to face slugfest, not much scope for kiting or distance work. The Chain will help, but I would say nearer 60 or maybe significantly higher.

Just a couple of other points -

Yes, doing the 3 main virtue quest chains in parallel is a very good idea. I would go further to say its essential to get to the level you will need to complete them and then the final main quest run in, unless you want to grind mobs for an eternity! :)
    The amazing thing about SOTA is it allows any build as you allude to. You could easily work up a Tank or melee/DPS for the main quest line in Chapter 1 and still work up your beloved Ranger for general solo or group work
    Do as many side quests as you can to ease your levelling and gain gold. I didn't rush the main story line, I took my time.

6. skeggy Media

skeggy Media Avatar

hi lightuser

my recommendation is to do the path of courage then truth doing the side quests and this gives time for you to develop your charter for the path of love and the final main story arc for this chapter to gain your cloak and row POT property deed.

and do not rush through the game and enjoy the experience.

welcome to the world of Novia
    if you need help please contact me and I will help you in the game I have created videos that can be found on youtube https://www.youtube.com/c/skeggymedia and I stream on Twitch https://www.twitch.tv/skeggy_media and happy adventuring in this World full of Adventure. in the ingame chat box you can send me a friend request by typing /friend skeggy media I accept all friends requests.

7. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Interesting, I watch your videos @skeggy Media so I know you know what you're talking about. You don't recommend doing Truth, Love and Courage all in parallel then prior to the main story arc conclusion?

Paladin Michael likes this.
  8. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Perhaps spoilers ahead:

Truth almost has very little combat, Courage perhaps a bit more and Love just a bit more beyond that.

The last Path is as long as all three of the prior quests combined and you probably will wonder when will it ever end...

9. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Hello @lightuser and welcome to New Britannia!

I believe I was about level 70 when I finished the whole plot. I suggest, like others, to do all of the 3 plots more or less simultaneously. When you get stuck, write down your progress (very important!) and try another story path. By the time you come back to where you were stuck, you ought to have become strong enough to squeak by.

There are some... bottle necks... in each path that can really challenge players depending on their skill deployment, so it's hard to match AL to specific challenges. The good news is that your friends can help you with some these :)

10. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

New to the game.. I would say ADV 70 to 80 for Path of Love (Malice and Tomb of the Avatar (or whatever it's called) and Path of the Oracle.
    Adv level 40 to 70 for everything else.

If you are not new to the game or this is your second play through. Most people can do it around level 4o to 50, but it's tough solo.

11. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The 3 Virtue quests will be sending you to tier 5 areas. You will need to be able to survive such encounters.

12. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I've done it multiple times at upper 40s adventurer level, and because of awarded XP I was around 55 when I got the shroud, but this does require knowing a few tricks. The "kobold arena fight" was actually more trouble for me, since I didn't know that there was a way to avoid it. Certainly you should be able to do it by AL70 or so.

Also, once the initial three paths are completed, the rest of the main quest line can be completed in a party, except for a few non-combat areas.

13. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Don't forget to totally do the Outskirts. They are worth a ton of XP compared to other areas in the game.

And I highly recommend taking your time and enjoying the experience. If you're into it, go do some mining and tree chopping and sell those to other players, make some coin, etc. Get a free room at an Inn (or a paid one) and then the pressure of not having a home for the starting time is off. Go explore a bunch of the lower tier areas while they are still challenging, rather than trying to bomb through the story.

Also, knowing the fundamentals of advanced combat will make any fight easier, and I meet a lot of players who haven't learned about them. If you don't know about charging your locked glyphs, deck building, stacking dealt glyphs, how your XP pool works, etc. take some time to watch these videos or others. In these videos, disregard the part about Jumping and opening the Utility bar. Everything else is up to date.

Good luck, and reach out to others in game. If the Tower can be played with a party (it wasn't in when I played the story) you can always team up to take it out.

14. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Not for the section that is part of the quest.

15. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Well, from the point of 'difficulty' the recommended path order would be truth, courage, love.

I recommend to finish Outskirts parallel before you go on.
    The order like you want.

After the Outskirts are done completely, try to do side quests on the path of truth and courage (they are located in the same area, so to combine both is easy).

If you get stuck at a point or something seems too difficult, change the path ;)

Be aware of "Sidequests". There are some, not possible for low level Avatars!
    Like those to gain some banners or virtue armor pieces!

The list is sorted by difficulty!

Ankh of Spirituality Banner

Talk to the Devotional Caretakers about the principles of Truth, Love and Courage, the foundation of the eight virtues. Ethos describes their entirety. Ask a caretaker the name of a patron city and they’ll tell you if you’ve talked about its virtue with its caretaker.

After visiting all Devotionals you get the Banner of Spirituality!
    Not difficult. I recommend, when visiting your first Devotional, talk to the Caretakers so the cities are shown on your compass. Visit them, when you are near.

Bell of Courage Banner

Obtained by finishing the Highvale Outskirts main quest.

Candle of Love Banner

Obtained by finishing the Solace Bridge Outskirts main quest.

Book of Truth Banner

Obtained by finishing the Blood River Outskirts main quest.

Banner of Honesty ---> There are a few quests from Aerie, so you can try this when you there.

Obtained as a puzzle reward in the East Longfall Wetland.

Banner of Humility ----> the only one in the hidden vale. Not difficult, but you must know about how to get there.

Bridget Helvig in Braemar (Hidden Vale) is asking you to find her beloved husband Veimor. He was last seen in West Ravenswood.

Banner of Compassion ---> you can do this while you are on the path of the Oracle, because you have to visit Desolis ...

Harley Redwool in Desolis is asking you to find his daughters Loreley Sketchbook.

Sword of Valor Banner ---> Well, the last enemy is hard. I recommend it after you got your shroud.

Obtained by defeating the Tier 10 enemy in Courage Club.

Further Banners: ---> Beware! Very hard. Party recommended

Banner of Justice

Deep in the Elysium Mines is a powerful ghost, doomed to haunt the mines after being betrayed ages ago by his own twin brother. Find a way to engage the ghost in combat and take his treasured Banner of Justice!

Chalice of Honor Banner

Obtained from the treasure room after defeating an Ebon Dawn Shadow Master in the heart of Brittany Sewers.

Banner of Sacrifice

Obtained by defeating all Cabalists in a siege asked by a scout.

Banner of Ethos

To receive this Banner, you have to find the Lost Vale!

Following the North Midmaer way, heading west, crossing the bridge in the direction of the Nightshade pass, the Lost Vale entry lies between Etan Glen and the Nightshade pass. The gate opens with special Moonophase!

VIRTUE ARMOR

There are three sets of armor which can be received from virtuous Avatars!

How to get them?

The Helm is always connected to the Outskirts of each path.

The Chests are connected to a quest with entering a Gold or Silver mine.

All leggings are connected to a quest, sending you to another town.

I recommend to do the further quests for the boots at the end of each path!
    Road encounters will end with very hard enemies! So do it after you finished the path of the Oracle!

All boots will end with visiting Preben in South Majestic Forest, who will craft all of the virtue boots!

All Gloves are connected to different road encounters. You can receive ALL virtue gloves from the same encounters, for example Wolves!

The Leather Armor of Love

Helm: Talking to farmer Filmore at Solace Bridge Outskirts. He needs help and rewards you with the Leather Helm of Love.

Chest: The old woman Sada in the Crafting Pavilon in Solania needs certainty about her former love. Find a message from him in the Lost Whiteguard Silver Mine.

Leggings: Visit Simone von Eglinger in Ardoris! Doing her a favor about the diary of his former killed child leads to Solania.

Greaves: In South Drachvald Spur you can meet a mentor with her squires. A special Leather is needed and of course you also receive one as reward. Take it to Preben in South Majestic Forest who can craft the Leather Greaves of Love!

Gloves: After defeating the last road encounter* an Altruist Monk appears and hands you a prayer card to bring to a Monk in Etceter and other Towns.

After handing it to a Monk at Etceter Harbour I received the Leather Gloves of Love.

ANOTHER complete set of Leather Armor of Love:

Special Leather Armor of Love Design from Fiona FitzOwen in ARDORIS:

Asking her about „Gear“, she tells you to find Pip in the desert village of Desolis. Can be done while on the Path of the Oracle! Also leads to Desolis.

The Plate Armor of Courage

Helm: In Highvale Outskirts find the huntsman Sven in his hunting cabin. After doing him a favor, you receive the unwearable Plate Helm of Courage. Because it is damaged, you need to find a near copper Golem to receive Enchanted Copper Ore. With both of them, Helm and Copper Ore, the Blacksmith in the monastery can repair it.

Chest: Walking North in Jaanaford, behind the water fall you find not only the earth master trainer Vonda. There also is a Satyr and the entrance to the Broken Echoes Silver Mine. Talk to the Satyr and enjoy your quest!

Leggings: Visit Knight-Commander Torben in Harvest! He sends you to Resolute!

Greaves: The blacksmith in Yew asks for a favor, after his ingot shipment was stolen. If you recover it courageously, he spends some of his special ingots. Visit a friend of him, Preben in South Majestic Forest, who can craft a pair of Plate Greaves,

Gloves: After defeating the last road encounter* a bounty hunter appears and provides a bounty hunter’s slip to bring it to a Bounty Master in Resolute, Brittany Estates, Desolis, Valhold, or Blood Bay.

After handing the survey ticket you receive the Virtue Plate Gauntlets of Courage. [+2000 XP, +100 Gold]

ANOTHER complete set of Plate Armor of Courage:

Talking to Conrad Dupre in RESOLUTE, asking about gear, he tells about a recently lost armor shipment I should ask the combat merchant Whitten.

è Can be done while on your path of Courage. Keep care!

The Cloth Armor of Truth

Hood: Gus the friendly automaton in the Bloodriver Outskirts has an idea, where to find it.

Chest: Grigor near the entrance to the Understorm Gold Mine in Storm’s Reach has a suspicion. Help him about this!

Leggings: Visit Thibadeaux in Jaanaford. She sends you to Aerie!

Boots: Meet a plunderer in the Sunless Barrens. She tells about, how she escaped the Ebon Dawn. After bringing magical cloth to her, she gives some for having a pair of Cloth Boots. Also a Cultist is around, who wants to help him. It’s your decision, if you believe her or him. That’s a questino of truth … However, after receiving the magical cloth, take it to Preben in the South Majestic Forest who can craft your Boots!

Gloves: After defeating the last road encounter* an Ecology Researcher appears and hands you a survey ticket to bring it to an owner of a magic shop in Aerie, Brittany Estates, Broochash, Celestis or Yew.

After handing the survey ticket you receive the Virtue Cloth Gloves of Truth. [+2000 XP, +125 Gold]

ANOTHER complete set of Cloth Armor of Truth:

Talking to Ariel Rosehaven in AERIE about the Order of Truth, she tells you about their interesting robes and their mystery. She informs to talk to Textile Merchant Isabel Spalding south of her.

Virtue Armor & Road Encounters

The mentioned persons appears random after defeating all encouners you find in the scene. This may be:

Corpions (keep care: last one is a DarkStarr Corpion!)

You can meet the encounter at Southeast Blackblade Mountains (South of the Oracle Colossus, North Quel way in the south leads there), Northern Grunvald Barrens or Desolis.

Trolls

Skeleton: Large Skeletons and Skel. Archer, Ebon Cultists!, Lich Mage + 2 Lich Fighter

You can meet them south of Sawtooth Thicket in the pass to Quel region.

Stags (keep care: last one can be a Dragon!

You can meet them next to Boreas Colossus, for example.

Wolves: Grey Wolves, Timber Wolves, Elder Wolves, Obsidian Bear

West of Redmill is a good place (Tier 3)

Or in the Solace Forest, for example.

You can try it and if you feel it is too hard, leave it and go on. Waste no time.
    Fortunately there is no death decay any longer, so you can't lose XP. So you can try even some more difficult parts to learn about combat and differnt deck building :)

Sometimes it is really a question of best combination of skills in your deck. I tried several situations and died alot. After I changed skills (and order of skills) in another deck, I was able to defeat enemies, I couldn't before!
    So: If you like experience in deck building, you can do it and improve your knowledge.
    If you don't like this kind of stuff, leave it and enjoy the next quest on this or another path :)

It should be FUN, at first, and should not feel like work ;)

Farewell, Avatar! My best wishes :)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  16. lightuser

lightuser Avatar

"Fortunately there is no death decay any longer"

Really? Is this true? Can you direct me to the official source which states this? Thanks!

17. Eric White

Eric White Avatar

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=101017

Search page for "decay"

Jaesun and lightuser like this.
  18. lightuser

lightuser Avatar

Hi all, thanks for all the advice.
    I'm currently AL 51 using melee 2-Handed sword with full plate mail, and am stuck on the last part of the Path of Love where you have to kill Anapa.
    How do you defeat him because when I initiate combat with Anapa, the whole room of 5-8 skeletons attack me at once.
    Can this be done in a party?
    Is it doable solo?

19. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Sammael is your wing man. Make sure he's with you (you have a whistle in your inventory if he isn't. You can have him attack, and I think set his stance from Passive to Aggressive.

You can make him passive aggressive. Yeah... I went there.

Jaesun and lightuser like this.
  20. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

If you find yourself to be stuck on Anapa (as I had been with a similar character to yours), you can cheese the encounter by killing the other skeletons one by one before speaking to him. Both Anapa and the other skeletons are oblivious.

This is a last resort, of course, as that kind of cheese is prettu unsatisfying. It would have been better if the Anapa encounter would scale to the level of the avatar.

lightuser likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.