Leaderboards

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by By Tor, Nov 3, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on possibly having leaderboards in the game. Hit a certain key and you can pull up the top 10 pvp players, top 10 players who killed the most <insert bad guy here>, top 10 crafters of wands, etc.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  2. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

its a good idea and i'm sure it would encourage more pvp contests, more fun etc.

By Tor likes this.
  3. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Yes! I was thinking there could be tabs at the top. You could select "Crafting" and then select the top crafters from a specific skill. Click on "Carpentry" and you can see who has made the most <insert carpentry item here>.. or possibly who has sold the most <insert crafting item here>.

Cordelayne likes this.
  4. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I see the attraction to the ones who want to get on them but new players or more casual players wont stand a chance.. These leader boards would forever be emblazoned with names of early backers/non-casual older players. New players would rarely break in to any upper ranks. People generally want to feel like they doing ok and their time invested is worth it and with leader boards i feel this would be detrimental as it would be a perma reminder to them that they were late to the party..More harm than good imo especially with a need to attract and keep new players.

Vaiden Luro and Vicious Malice like this.
  5. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

You may very well be right. In my experience in world of warcraft, though, I remember the days I started slowly getting better at the pvp leaderboards but thought "there's no way I'll ever be as good as these players who've been playing so long. " That made me want to try harder and play more. Eventually, I was often at the top 3 in pvp. I know that's just my own experience but it may encourage some players to play more.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    Bow Vale likes this.
  6. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

Perhaps having some leader boards based on level along with the over all boards. So best pvp for lvl 50 and under, 80 and under, 100 and under.. Something like that might help beginning players feel like they are making progress.

7. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Great idea! +1

8. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

I love this idea, they should add leaderboards for everything and not just for PVP, like people who killed more dragons, people who killed more elves or more undeads, player who sold more item in a shop, player who salvaged more item, player with most pvp kills, player under 80 with most pvp kills, player who won more duels, or player who did more kills in pvp zones etc. I can continue for days saying things that you can list in a leaderboard :p

By Tor likes this.
  9. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

The more leaderboards, the merrier!

+1

Aurora Australis likes this.
  10. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I think there should definitely be pve, pvp and crafting leader boards!

By Tor likes this.
  11. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Absolutely. Detailed pvp, pve and crafting leaderboards preferably. Most chairs sold, most soup made, most skeleton archers killed, etc

Dhanas likes this.
  12. Aurora Australis

Aurora Australis Avatar

I love this idea !

By Tor likes this.
  13. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

wasn't players making leaderboards part of the idea behind the api?

14. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Not familiar with the api, alley. Is that an in game thing?

15. redfish

redfish Avatar

I think it would actually be a lot cooler if leaderboards existed in the game world from a role-playing context.

For instance, even PvP can be split between different types, and in Central Brittany for instance, you could have a leaderboard for 'tournaments.' I would rather treat open PvP as a kind of bounty-seeking activity, where people could take out bounties, and then you could have a stat board in the magistrate's office where you get the bounties that have things like 'bounties collected', and of course, if there are factions, there could be bounties for different factions, including a 'red' one for instance in Blood Bay. Crafter leaderboards could be associated with NPC-organized crafter guildhouses, that would serve a lot of different purposes including registering crafter guilds, and getting players oriented on crafting, with things like crafting & gathering quests.

Generally, I would prefer the devs take every idea and try to figure out a way to do it the 'RP way' because I think it ends up being a lot better, and a lot less boring in terms of gameplay.

16. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Love it!

17. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

By Tor likes this.
  18. Vicious Malice

Vicious Malice Avatar

SotAssist is using the API for two different PvP ladders: One Obsidian Trials ladder and one general PvP ladder.

They accept feature requests if things sound fun and doable, so other boards might be in the future who knows.

@Kardall @Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended and By Tor like this.
  19. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Thanks! API looks great but I was thinking of an easier to use and access leaderboard. (In game)

20. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

There's a level cap there though and gives new players a finish line to catch up with older players.

Most things might work ok, so long as achievements aren't biased to adventure level or overall time played. Something that new players can have a good a chance as older to getting acclaim, maybe on just that/prior months time frame.

By Tor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.