Feedback I've received from new players

Discussion in 'New Player Experience Feedback' started by Sentinel2, Oct 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

but you dont need to quest... at all.. if you dont want to

Simon LeBon and Brewton like this.
  2. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Im rather surprised that cugel didnt show up on the compass..

3. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I could be incorrect on this, but I thought things only showed up on the compass once you "discovered" them?

4. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

ive certainly had compass points to things before I discovered them, i actually find it detracts from the game myself, i should have to look for things.. but I cant vouch for cugel specifically.. right now anyway

OK I can confirm you have to have run past his building for it to show up on the compass..

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  5. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Lot more things on that compass now. It should help point the way to any quest(s) your on.

Cordelayne likes this.
  6. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Thanks, good to know! I would have felt rather stupid if it was on his compass the entire time and I didn't tell him lol. :D

More, but not all, my Jet loving friend! See above. ;)

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  7. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

I spent about 4000 hours recruiting people to this game. I can definitly chime in here with some experience. This NUE tutorial has to be mandatory. New players were and continue to be lost. That causes alot of /ragequit. As for quests I have had new players tell me that the questing system isn't very challenging and finished them quickly. Some tell me its very hard to find anything and are totally lost when it comes to quests. The game should have some structured gear quests. Example, a mage can do the mage quest line and get a decent set of mage gear. This gear would be comparable to a beginners crafters set.

8. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

You mean something like this?

http://sotawiki.net/sota/Cloth_Armor_of_Truth

Vaiden Luro likes this.
  9. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

Mandatory tutorial, imho, is not the way to go. If someone chose a game like Shroud and wants to learn, they will learn. If they chose the game to compare it to all the other crap out there and give it bad reviews, a tutorial would of never changed that. Discovery is an aspect in life that seldom comes easily but its compelling and satisfying.

10. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

then please stand where all the newbies come in and show them around, I am tired of it.

11. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

ALL the other games I've played have a mandatory tutorial of some kind. It may not feel like it. But it's there.

An example would be Oblivion or Skyrim. You cannot skip it. At least I didn't see an option saying "skip tutorial". :)

Gorthyn and Cordelayne like this.
  12. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Much as I love the newbs, one thing I cant get over is if you just mash next next next and then whine you didnt read it... not reading the tutorial, the player handbook and all the other info given.. and then not understanding what you can/cant do.. seems.. a little like karma ..

Ive always felt there almost needs to be levels of help, from "this is an NPC" and explains everything in patronising detail, through to skip all give me the game..

I confess I dont think I read my player handbook but then for some reason sota's way of being seemed to fit my way of thinking.. so it didnt seem hard to learn or weird in any way to me, but i get that for some its the most alien game they played.

13. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Heh heh. I completely, 100%, agree with this. It is fun helping new players, but it is frustrating when they don't even want to take the time to review the in-game guidebook and NUE tutorial. :)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  14. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

It's the same with every manual. A lot of people don't like to read (manuals). They follow the path of try and error ;)

Well, maybe this works with a smartphone or even with a simple dvd player. But with a game like SotA it is something like the path of a fool ... [not talking about tarot ;)]

This just reminds me of one of my nephews years before ... :)
    He asked me for help with his homework (math).
    And I asked: what exactly don't you know? He couldn't say exactly. He told me something like "the whole task!" (... the whole gameplay)
    After I asked further the simple truth was:
    He - not even - read the task! :(
    This was the moment I quit to provide help. And I told him only to ask concrete questions - so I could realize, if he really was engaged ...

As you may assume, questions got very rare from that moment ;)

But beside that I recommend (like xxl times before)
    - connect given quests with the map to see [start] and [target].

Also the description in the task could be more clear:
    Task: - Find Guard Captain Cugel in Ardoris
    Mouse over: -
    Guard Captain Stanley told me to find Guard Captain Cugel at the docks, west of Ardoris, in the Guard Barracks.

Even someone who won't read the whole dialogue would know
    - what to do
    and
    - where to do

Well, it could be this easy from beginning...

After 5 years of game testing (priority quests) sometimes I have the suspicion, the quest architecture really was done this -hard- way 'by design', of course a 'hard design', but well ... ;)
    I read most dialogues more than 3-5 times. And I have to confirm, there were moments in time I wanted to sound my barbaric yawp over the rooftops of the world ... [ww]
    [Exactly and especially at that moment, someone told me the fairy tale of 'by design' ...]

Well, all is better now. And I am really excited about Episode 2 and where the new design is taking us!

And really: there is not so much to change, only a few easy things as I told above (this thread, page 1, post no. 6) ...
    Give us Chapters in the Journal and connect the tasks with the map. Done.
    My nephew(s) would love it! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.