Attunement and resists?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Black FjP, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

Hello fellow avatars and developers,

I have done a lot of tweaking of my skills while fighting pve monsters and pvp, and I have searched high and low and asked a lot of people who I would think would have some information about how attunement and resists actually work. I think some of you know how that search turned out.

Everyone has a lot of guesses and different information about how resists and attunement work. No one seems to know anything.

Some of the people say some of it is broken against monsters, some people say other parts are broken against monsters, but work in pvp. Some people say that monster attacks are actually physical attacks that look like spells. Other people say that you need at least high fire and death attunement to fight monsters. There is no real general consensus except the tooltip says attunement helps you resist negative effects. Some people say new skills are coming that will make it so you don't have to have a bunch of extra attunement just to not get punched in the face by spells.

I guess what I would like is any sort of shed light on how this stuff really works and if there are any real plans to change anything. I already have over 900 attunement on all my spell schools for this reason but I'm planning on making another character and I wouldn't mind not wasting a crapload of time and reagents if it wasn't that useful or things were in the works to change. There is a lot of really false information out there, and there is no guiding light.

Not enjoying the mystery,
    Black FjP

2. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

In one of the recent live streams from october chris said half of your attunment acts as resistance to deduct that same ammount of attunment bonus from the guy attacking you.

He said resistance does the same thing. Its easier to stack resist

Aldo likes this.
  3. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

4. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I havent tried again since then but the trend from that test follows what chris said. Since then he has changed attunment to curve off more in power at higher levels and reduced the damage of the spell we were using to test.

Also at that time i did not find that resisted bonuses from warding gems was working (or potions) and somone more recently tested with me that the resistance potions more recently were working.

But the intent from what chrissaid more recently is that resistance point for point should be having double the magic defense that attunment does

Jason_M likes this.
  5. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Vaguely speaking, the more Attunement you have in any giving Magic Tree, the more your resist to that kind of magic is. I'm not sure of the actual numbers, but this is per the Tool-tip. If you are Specialized in a school of magic, the opposite school of magic will receive a Resist Debuff of half of your Specialization Attunement Increase; so, if you get a +20 Fire Attunement(100 Fire Specialization), then you will have -10 added to your Water Resists. If you want to see what your resist modifiers are, pull up your Stats Log. In game, type: /stats and a log will be printed to a log and put in a folder on your computer.

6. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

It doesn't show any attunement gains for resists in that log. That's where all these questions come from, and the answer to that is "attunement resists are handled differently".
    Vaguely speaking is not what im looking for, becuase I can switch to my death spec in the rise and go from 90-220 death attunement and still get hit for "vaguely" the same amount of damage from death field from a yellow mage.

7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Um, I think you may have misspoken there............
    Go back and learn what "attunement" is, then ask your questions again...... pls.

8. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

You may try stacking death resistance rather than relying on deathattunment for defense and see of that helps. You will lose all death attunment from gear but death warding gear alone should get you about 90 death resistance, plus another 20 from celestial blessing. If you have a flute of defiance as well you should see a very noticable difference if warding gear has been fixed

9. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

I am pretty sure attunement works as resistance in PVP i tested Many Many time for saying this. Cannot say the same for pve indeed with 230 fire attunement i still receive crits of 350/400 by elven mages and if I lower my attunement to 100 i receive the same dmg.
    I Think He mispoken and wanted to mean 900 points so 90 attunement, and this should be 45 res.

EMPstrike likes this.
  10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Since the attunment basically just reduces your attackes effective attunment, i wonder if its different in pve because creatures dont have attunment to counter

Dhanas likes this.
  11. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

Yeah, make sense

12. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

As I said they aren't your resists per se, they are resist modifications, which come from being specialized in a school of magic or from skills within trees that give you extra resists; Fire Proof for instance. My Moon Resist in stats shows a -10 because I'm specialized in Sun Magic. You also need to take into account Magic Resistance, which is also in your Stats Log. Granted, the resist adjustment for attunenment is not diplayed in stats, but it may help you to understand the damage you take from The Rise mages.

I don't think you get 45 Resists with 90 Attunement. If you are specialized and you get your specialization to 100 you get +20 Attunement, which gives you -10 Resists toward the opposing tree. This is reflected in the Specilization Skills Tool-Tip.

per r57 Instructions: Magic Tree Specialization: Specializing in a school will now give a negative resistance to the opposing school instead of negative attunement.

The question is, how much does regular attunement augment resists. It would be nice if the game added a STATS window so we could view all the ins and outs of our characters.

13. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

This is per @Chris ' Daily Work Blog:

(6/14/18): First up is the Attunement math. This sheet shows caster attunement vs target's resistance + half attunment. For the Positive attunement, it uses attunement for caster/2 + attunement for target/2. If you cast on yourself, that is effectively just your attuenment.

(6/21/18): Other design changes that just went in is the "Negative Attunement" math changed slightly. Negative attunement is the math used when you cast a spell on an enemy. That is the YourAttunement -(theirAttunement/2 + theirResistance) value. The curve has been changed so that the effect is greater at levels below 150. At 150, the effect is identical to what it was in R54 and above 150 it will taper off slightly compared to R54.

This is per r51 Post Mortem Missed Questions:

Devourerofmemes: Do you have any plans to change how resistance increases with magic tree attunement, atm it feels like you're forced to level all magic trees purely to increase your resists?
    CHRIS:Currently your effective resistance is half your attunement plus your resistance. I have toyed with and written in my blog about the idea of making your resistance the higher of your attunement or resistance BUT before I can consider that, I need to add some way to build some resistance up.

So, @Dhanas , you were correct in saying that resists, currently, are half of the attunement in a given tree.

Dhanas and Jaesun like this.
  14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

So it wctually adds half your attunment and your resistances together to use them both, interesting.

And looks like eventually there will be more options to get resistance and when that happens you can do either resistance or attunment instead of needing to do attunment

15. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I think that when he refers to your resistances, he's referring to things like the Fire Proof Skill, Warding bonus', and other mod's.

16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Yea if that stacks with attunment, you can negate about 130 of an attackers attunment in a single tree with a little effort

17. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Well, as Chris said, it tapers off after 150 Attunement, so the math would change after 150, if I'm reading that correctly.

18. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The damage bonus you get from attunment tapers off after 150.

Ima do that test again when i get home

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.