I wish Ep. 2 Doesn't Have Overland

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Verit, Nov 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Verit

Verit Avatar

For me, at least, I have come to the conclusion that:

The overland map makes this game feel less like a living mmo world and more like Mario Bros. Traveling the map from level to level.

I wish Ep. 2 doesn't have an overland map.

2. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

3. yinki2

yinki2 Avatar

or a map 10 time bigger , more map encounters that you have to defeat ( cant escape zone till u defeat all) and if u die u lose all ur inventory except equiped gear.
    if u die u resurect at bind point far away. no teleport at all.

4. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

I want a little car, with grease bombs, banana skins and power ups for the world map!!

Verit, Net, Vero and 2 others like this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

Bad monkey

There's a lot they can still do with the overworld that they haven't done yet. I hope they do...

6. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I normally am against the instanced mmo, but in a way I like the overworld. It gives me a feeling of the old school rpg games on the older days.
    Where you needed to walk the main map and get random pulls into fights. I loved it :)

Sara Dreygon, Jaesun and Steevodeevo like this.
  7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Like... The Ultima Series...

Having the Overland and the Scenes connected to it is also the reason that:
    • there can be a Single instance of the Game that Everyone plays in.
    • they can change scenes pretty much on the fly, as with the Shardfall event.
    • they can support Player Owned Towns and add and move them as needed.
    In any event, the instanced design of the game with the Overland Map connecting them all is one of the very basic design elements of the game, and changing that would require starting over again from ground zero. Therefore, you're highly unlikely to ever have your wish granted, @Verit.

8. Shift

Shift Avatar

I just wish the scenes where bigger. Right now they feel too small. Final Fantasy XIV has instanced zones but they are vast.

9. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

We have two safe modes of travelling around the map, overworld and teleportation, perhaps a next mode could be "big inbetween" scenes that span large distances between and around towns. Open world so to speak. and full loot open pvp. The scenario kinda makes sense if you think about it.

Only question, are they willing to build big open scenes "between" the towns eventually? Same question would go for ocean scenes too.

Vaiden Luro and Verit like this.
  10. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

The Outskirts scenes are huge. I assume the new scenes on the new land masses will be like them ...

Gaelis, Verit, Vaiden Luro and 3 others like this.
  11. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Yep lets hope so. Love the big scenes.

Gaelis, Verit, nonaware and 1 other person like this.
  12. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

id rather have a huge open boring zone that occasionally features wandering skeletons, deer, and that crazy traveler guy. various exits in these wide open zones would go to the PoTs, NPC towns, adventure scenes, etc.

kinda like everquest. dunno how thatd perform tho.

Feeyo, Verit and Vaiden Luro like this.
  13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I could only dream we enter into episode 2 for example through some large crack in the world to see one contiguous world. All player owned housing and player owned towns in my dream are on the outskirts of towns. Yep very few loading scenes. Imagine that? Well it is a dream. ;)

So much we don't know. But whatever can be done with all quality of life improvements all the better. Attention to detail is a must. This includes attention to detail not making things seem cheaply done , uninteresting, hurriedly added in, and incomplete.

For example Don't leave a treasure chest in the center of a room after a lot of puzzles to get to it that just opens to bad loot and stops right there disappointingly. We need fun, satisfaction, choices, completions, and interesting details and lots of surprising outcomes.

Economy was broken in Ultima online and so many still loved the game. What made up for that was Rune travel and marking aa location ability and all the creative tools we had to make competitive interesting selling of unique sets of items. It was fun to see what was in those little bags and chests. For example dyable bags that are sellable fully loaded and tradeable to other players. As it is now you can only sell or trade empty bags. We also cannot lock down for example a bookcase to get the books and deco off if it easier. It so often pulls the whole bookcase not the book while pulling out our hair and screaming happens.

Two things really missing locking items down and trading bags with items in them. Also I'm so tired of pulling deco from the bottom floor to the top that needs to be locked down while decorating the roof area. So yes to many quality of life improvements still are needed as soon possible.

I so want a nice journal too that lists what storyline the quest is and more hints of location to travel too. Also it could say sidequest and dailies too. We need a fishing daily like catch of the day giving fishing rewards and incentives to do it days in a row. No auto travel but fun and interesting clues in the journal. Ok sorry it's late and I'm going way off topic. Sorry;). I get carried away sometimes dreaming.

Edited a bit lots of typos on my phone;)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    Verit likes this.
  14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

That sounds like great fun, @yinki2 - for you and a half dozen other avatars here that apparently require lots of pain in order to have "fun"....
    But why stop there..... how about when you die you lose your char and all they're carrying/wearing, and have to start over.
    Wouldn't that be fun ?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    Kara Brae and Cordelayne like this.
  15. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

We definitely don't need more land mass until we have more population.

FrostII and Cordelayne like this.
  16. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I'm going to have to disagree completely and have loved the over-world map ever since I stepped my giant foot on it.

17. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

A procedurally generated "hinterland" is an interesting idea. That technology probably doesn't exist for this engine, and The Company probably doesn't have the resources to deal with it, but it's fun to think about.

Alternatively, "hinterlands" scenes could be built like POT biomes - only larger - and sparsely populated compared to other scenes. Perhaps one could drop into a hinterland anywhere on the overworld to appear in a random biome-appropriate scene.

But these are just idle dreams.

Verit and Feeyo like this.
  18. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Huge scenes should be possible, add multiple scenes next to each other sync load/unload while waking to the next scene. There is a nice plugin that would help terrain former. It is a terrain stitcher tool that makes the terrains perfectly synced without doing any manual stitching between multiple terrains. This in combination with modular assets, make the assets prefab with instantiate function and you have a huge modular scene.

19. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

I believe that many of the smaller scenes in the present game were due to the lag created through the servers having to carry too much information about the scenes.
    Dance parties were held just to see how many avatars could enter before the system crashed. It was great fun to "challenge" the servers.
    Now we still have fun meeting and greeting, with little lag, few crashes, and gone are the RAM leak problems that plagued us in the early days.
    As the ongoing rebuild of instances happens, I have seen great improvements in size and depth of immersion in the scenes.

Jaesun and Steevodeevo like this.
  20. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

we should get bigger zones as time goes by but I currently enjoy the overworld map.

how much of me enjoying it is because its what we have and I have become accustomed to it vs really liking it is up for debate.

but I don't find myself wishing that it was an open world map.

very few games have created an open world map that I enjoyed traveling through more than a couple of times before it starts to feel like a chore and I just use some form of fast travel.

CrandalltheFoole likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.