Re: Player Feedback on R60 Change: Being Fully Encumbered Will Block Loot & Trade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Duke Olahorand, Nov 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Yeah... if it's around in a couple of years... I might open it up again to see if they've figured out what Ultima and Fun mean.

Maybe they will have fixed the quests by then too.

Mishikal and smack like this.
  2. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

Damn, I can only carry 100 suits of platemail instead of 1000? that's beat.
    In all the ultima games you were constantly managing your inventory because you couldn't carry anything. You had 1 guy who just carried a boat half the time because he had 28 str in ultima 6, and he couldn't carry anything else.

And guess what, those games were great.

Simon LeBon, Dhanas, Barugon and 2 others like this.
  3. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

In all the ultima games with crafting, you didn't need to carry a forest to make an longbow, or a hides from enough cattle to put a Texas cattle drive to shame to make a suit of leather. (yes, those are exaggerations... but not really far off the mark.)

4. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

I don't know about you but I can carry like 500 animal hides and all my 15 sets of gear without even hitting the half mark. I don't think this change will make that much of a difference. I think we just need the sky to be falling at least once a month.

Chrystoph Reis likes this.
  5. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I feel like once again, when faced with an issue, Port used a sledgehammer without really thinking through all of the implications. I get that there needs to be a way to resolve exploits that people are abusing, but this feels extremely heavy handed. If the game hadn't been built around mechanics that allowed for being grossly overburdened, this wouldn't be a problem, but that's the game they built. And once again, they face the exodus of additional long term players who provide the bulk of funding for the ongoing development of the game. :(

Greyfox and Kabalyero Kidd like this.
  6. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

Come on with these changes! Why would you rather punish players who play SOTA for fun and not find a workaround to prevent the exploits in the first place?

Surely, people who got away with keeping casks in their inventory needed a certain barrier, but folks who water their plants or craft insane amount of duplicates bc of ridiculous RNG? Bad move imho.

7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I have a Remote Bank Device set up in my Crafting Pavilion... if the Permission System allowed, I could just set the permissions on it to Public, or Resident.

...but it doesn't.

8. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

Another thing: I carry several suits of armor/weapons at all times because my main build (archer) doesn’t work well in all adventure scenes. This is by YOUR design, to prevent us from being able to use a single build to fight everything.

Having to choose what to carry with me every-single-outing will result in more time sinks than I care to admit. Aren’t you trying to improve the quality of life?

Vaiden Luro and Mishikal like this.
  9. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

if you think you are going to have to leave gear behind because you are worried about not being able to hold 2400 in loot on an adventure that's kinda crazy, I can do lost vale for 6 hours in a party of 3 or 4 and only have 1.2k in loot on me with the 300 in gear and regs I carry around. And that's deleting no trash.

Chrystoph Reis and Dhanas like this.
  10. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

I just carry the 20 lbs remote bank with me. Its far more effective with watering in the fields.. er, basement.

Simon LeBon, Lained and Vaiden Luro like this.
  11. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

My carry capacity is 800+, and that’s with deleting 1gp trash, potion of encumberance, heavy lifter at gm, and potion of might. I solo most of the time and don’t use an alt to carry stuff. I already teleport out after one hour/20 mins of grinding to free up the space in my inventory.

Using belt of ox kinda defeats the purpose behind the light armor archer build.

Stop nerfing my build please.

12. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

And what about the people who are new? a brand new character can't match your 1400 pounds carrying capacity... and if this does what the announcement says, then my brand new character that can only carry 91 pounds, and starts off at almost half encumbrance, will be having to run to a bank every five minutes.

13. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

Tila: I think you need to reread the change, if you can carry 800 then all it will do is not let you pick things up if you have 2400 weight on you.

Tachys, how many new players do you think are running around triple encumbered and saying "nah Im gonna keep going, I like walking this speed and missing all the time its great, but now I can't pickup stuff so that sucks"

14. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I think this is a good change, especially as it fixes potential exploits. Does there need to be fringe cases adjusted? Sure.

1) Reevaluate trash drops (rusty forks, et al). These should weigh practically nothing, as they are already low value.
    2) Change the way watering works. It's not fun, and now it's actively discouraged. I'd say make one bucket act as a reagent, with only a small chance to be consumed. The better your skill, the fewer buckets you need. Consider making watering cans have a better chance of preserving water when equipped.
    3) Watch the weight on items so they are not overly punishing, especially for newer players.

Other than those quibbles, I see no issues with encumbrance changes.

15. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

Black: Not sure, since I already use the obsidian potion and potion of might. I’d like to see the formula of how this change is supposed to work.

And as a general suggestion, these changes need to be written out carefully so that we, your humble subjects/plebs can still have fun playing the game. It takes a couple of seconds to review the original post, why not take great care in writing it in the first place?

Mordai and Mishikal like this.
  16. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

That's great... what about the journey between the vendor and somewhere to deposit it? Right now, I can buy all 6000 water at the vendor and then go to the nearest bank and drop it off. After R60, I'm going to have to waste an inordinate amount of time going back and forth between the two. There were many reasons Port has long treated encumbrance differently in towns vs adventure scenes.

17. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

I guess I’ll have to buy a remote bank device with cotos to be able to plant a whole greenhouse.

Mishikal likes this.
  18. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Basically you're talking about this: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ture-skill-efficient-water-harvesting.146162/

This doesn't resolve the problem with crafting or people who spend much of their game time involved doing lot decorations.

Drake Aedus likes this.
  19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I know that this change will not affect me at all.

20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yeah, that's why the NPC banker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.